Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 197 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Cathy A Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Hmmm... I guess I'll have to wait and see what happens next year. They are going to pilot Everyday Math and one other text (not a reform math text.)

I talked to some teachers this afternoon to find out what they thought of Dr. Parker. A few were really taken with her ideas but most seemed to think that good teachers already use these techniques when they teach the regular curriculum. I think most are inclined to use her methods as an enrichment or in addition to teaching the regular methods. That makes me feel a bit better.

Most teachers don't feel like they have much say in which curriculum is chosen--even the ones on the textbook adoption committee!

Last edited by Cathy A; 05/28/08 05:42 PM.
    Val Offline
    Originally Posted by kcab
    There's a lot of debate, certainly.

I'm not sure the article you quoted is correct on this though - I thought MA was basically leading the nation at this point, due to its high (and high stakes) standards.

Originally Posted by Wren
    These are the reasons that TERC and Everyday Mathematics are no longer permitted in the public schools of California which now leads the nation in Math education.

I hope California isn't leading the nation in math education. This page has a few sample questions from the exam; note that numerical answers are not required for each question:

Sample questions on CA exit exam

My kids are at a private school that uses Everyday Mathematics(EM). I've analyzed the program pretty carefully. EM is part of a new overall wave in education that aims to teach concepts before details. This wave is beginning to make its way into colleges, which I think is dangerous.

The idea of teaching concepts first is seductive, but I think it ultimately fails. For example, EM works hard to avoid traditional algorithmic approaches to learning how to manipulate numbers.

Instead, EM uses concept-based approaches. One is "Rule-in, Rule-out." The EM book gives a rule (input: "+2") and the kids give the answer (output: add 2 to some numbers they provide). From what I can figure, EM is trying to teach the concept of functions/domains/ranges here. This is seductive because the program can claim to be teaching high level "critical thinking skills."

Thing is, to me, it all seems a bit abstract for a first grader. Many of these kids are still learning what addition and subtraction are. How can they be expected to abstract the idea of functions what they still don't fully understand ideas about simple mathematical operations? To me, this is a case of trying to get a kid to figure out what a forest is before he really knows what trees and animals are.

And even if a 6-year-old is ready to understand what a function is, I think it's better to be explicit about it and then use examples. I taught my eldest about exponents by providing a definition ("It's a fast way of multiplying. The little number up high tells you how many times to multiply the other number by itself") and then examples. Then we did square roots by working backwards from there.

But of course, the vast, vast majority of 6-year-olds are not ready to understand f(x), its domain, and its range.

This is one reason why I think EM and similar approaches fail and leave American students clueless about mathematics.

Val

Cathy A Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I guess a lot of this is a moot point since whatever they use it will be quite a bit below my DS' level. I was looking at DD's third grade book (Harcourt) and I was not happy about how they introduced long division. I think that we need to teach the standard algorithms, but the books we have teach them so poorly that people think there's something wrong with teaching algorithms!

B
    bk1 Offline
    B
    DS school uses TERC, Everyday Math. He is completely unengaged by it and it is so terribly slow moving. They only got to multiplication (or should I say, multiplication concepts?) in March and have not yet covered long division. School ends 6/26 so I guess they won't be learning it this year.

The worst for him, with handwriting issues, is when he has to write a sentence explaining how he got his answer and why it worked, for such simple concepts that seem far too obvious to write about. A typical answer: "I got four. Because you needed to add two and two." So enlightening!

bk1 - I keep thinking Burger King laugh

Last edited by Dazed&Confuzed; 06/12/08 02:57 AM. Reason: To remove question bk answered in the other thread
    B
    bk1 Offline
    B
    LOL-- Code name explained in PM!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM