Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 102 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 101 102
    ... when the major problem with literacy in your child's life is that people keep preventing access to appropriate reading materials.

K
    K
    Originally Posted by doubtfulguest
    ha, ha! just wait until he disassembles it... my poor mother came down to the basement one day when i was about that age, only to find me sitting squarely in the middle of a neat array of vacuum parts. as she put it, "it was too quiet."

Haha!!!

... your largest, longest-running disciplinary problem is with inappropriate reading.

(Too much, too long, when one should be doing other things, inappropriate materials, interfering with sleep, finishing course textbooks in the first two weeks of school and then being bored)

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    U
    U
    The vacuum cleaner story made me think of a time when two supposedly smart adults were standing in front of a car trunk trying to figure out how to squeeze in a child's bike, having already tried several times and failed. DD (I believe she was 7 then) came up, looked at it, and said "Why don't you turn it around the other way and put the handlebars like this and put it like that?" (gesturing to make her point) Other adult: "Oh, I don't know." Me: "No, she's probably right." She was.

... when the Google doodle (today, a representation of a Foucault pendulum) makes everyone in your house, including your DD14, smile and think fondly of Paris.

(Because that was higher on the "must see" list than anything inside the Louvre.)

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    O
    O
    When these boards are your lifeline and your bible.

... your 6 year old Kindergartner comes out of his first visiting 5 grade math skipping and singing "I have homework, I have homework."

... the gt teacher calls the high school math teacher to let her know that she gets to teach ds6 math next year because she will be out of her league by then.

... your ds doesn't like going grocery shopping because you refuse to let him walk around reading a book and he is too big to fit in the cart seat anymore.

... you lose the ability to spell in front of you 3 year old, so you start making up secret code translations. McDonalds became "The Irish Duck" and IHOP was "The Global Domicile of Flapjacks"

Esme, DYS ds7, ds1 - whatmom.wordpress.com
    A
    aquinas Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by doubtfulguest
    ha, ha! just wait until he disassembles it... my poor mother came down to the basement one day when i was about that age, only to find me sitting squarely in the middle of a neat array of vacuum parts. as she put it, "it was too quiet."

Vacuum disassembly must be a thing, because DS is constantly sneaking off to take ours apart!

He was at me all day yesterday to disassemble a computer tower with a transparent case that DH built. You can imagine his excitement when they opened it up to finally study the parts. He's not even 2 and already has better tech knowledge than me.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    M
    M
    Stop with the vacuum cleaner talk! I have lived in fear of my kids electrocuting themselves as toddlers after my DH's first date tale of "The first time I electrocuted myself...." His mother was vacuuming, at 2 he could tell something really good was coming out of the wall, so he did the only logical thing, he eased the plug out a tiny bit and wrapped a piece of wire around the prongs. And is alive today only because his parents had a circuit breaker installed way before they were common... And yes before he got this story out I did interrupt him with "What do you mean the FIRST time?"

C
    C
    Love the disassembly stories- my DS is also a lover of taking things apart. In fact, one of his favorite things to do when he visits grandma and grandpa is to visit the dump, so he can bring home a few treasures to take apart. Not kidding. Sometimes they bring home more than they drop off.

Going along with the thread, when your DS loves to visit the orthodontist, because they are patient and explain all the machines and gadgets (and his older sister is the one who actually has the appointment!).

When your DD spends all of preschool "parents' night" hiding under the table reading "Heidi."

When your DD finally finds her people, at the uber-nerdy science olympiad tournaments.

When your DS has to bring in a celebrity photo for art class portrait drawing, and he chooses the designer/inventor of minecraft (still can't remember his real name....).

When your DD makes a pretty good representation of a Monty Python character for her Halloween costume, and none of the kids have any idea who she is (but the teachers do).

When your DS does the weekly math challenge in his head on the way home the day it is assigned.

Page 5 of 102 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 101 102

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM