Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 243 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #168565 09/21/13 09:06 AM
    M
    moomin Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    gone

Last edited by moomin; 08/09/14 09:43 AM. Reason: gone
    22B Offline
    Why not a grade skip (or two)?

K
    KJP Offline
    K
    I am not an expert or anything but I am really amazed at how much progress she has made. I remember the earlier post about tossing the chair and how ahead she was academically. I was thinking she was going to end up in that school you didn't want her in for sure.
    I understand how rotten it is to be the parent of the screaming kid. I have been there many times. On the plus side, it seems like a good meltdown if there is such a thing.
    First, she is thinking clearly even while melting down.
    My kid has had meltdowns where he seems like he is completely not really there anymore.
    She is acknowledging behavior norms "people are happy when they dance". She is stating that the feeling she is experiencing is beyond her control "I can't calm down". And she is concerned about others' perception of her and how they will feel "everyone will worry about me"

My son was on stage with his drama club for the first time at five. At the practice following the program I heard the teacher asking the kids how they felt on stage. Most said it was cool or fun. My son said "It freaked me out. My face felt hot and my heart started beating fast. I wanted to run away and hide but then I knew people would be angry or laugh at me so I just waited for the music and when it did I just started going through the routine."

I just mention this because the situation might trigger anxiety in any kid so if that is already an issue - well, yeah what happened.

I don't mean to sound dismissive or anything like that. I have just had a heck of a week with DS and doctors (see connective tissue thread). It has me thinking of how hard it must be to BE a 2e kid.

I hope your family has a nice weekend.

I agree with MoN and KJP, more or less.

But in reading about your meeting, I did have one snarky aside to share with you;

Which seems like a radical misread of DD's case.

Anyway, my wife think's that its the only book on "giftedness" that the principal had ever read, and that she just presumed that it must be relevant.

Could have been worse. Could have been Hothouse Kids: The Dilemma of the Gifted Child. (Yes, we have had that particular odious conversation ourselves... and yes, I've read that book, and frankly, it's not one that I can see has much to say on the subject of HG+ children.)

Anyway. I'm sympathetic, let's just say.

Also very relieved that the teacher and administrators are feeling better about their ability to help your DD regulate herself without resorting to an even less appropriate academic setting!

She has made SO much progress, moomin. I'm really proud of her. smile

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    M
    M
    It's really awesome that they can see her actual achievement levels. I'm wondering though has she made the sort of progress others have mentioned? I haven't checked your old posts but my memory is that there have been multiple environments start out ok, or better than the last one, then devolve quite suddenly when she reaches the end of her patience for not learning, being so different, whatever it is that sets her off?

This does sound the best fit so far, from my memory, but I'm concerned that the schools fears about not making her seem more different are setting her up for problems. I'm put in mind of my DDs struggles in the other direction. Her first school kept insisting we shouldn't worry or focus on how far behind she was because it would only make her feel bad and make things worse. Dd didn't need us, or anyone else, to tell her she was wildly different from her classmates and pretending she wasn't only added to how bad things got. The matter of fact, head on approach of her second school was exactly what she needed and lead to a radical turn around in self esteem and dramatic progress in skills.

M
    M
    I don't know ljoy, from my armchair on the other side of the world moomin's DD always sounded fairly in control of her out of controlness (if that makes any sense at all) - once she concluded it was the only control she could have of a wildly unsuitable placement where the adults were not as smart as her AND had no idea how to manage her.... Why would she continue to invest in an unsuitable environment? Would you expect a yr 5-8 student to invest in K? Or start making their own entertainment? Or switch off and become a pixie?

Last edited by MumOfThree; 09/23/13 03:09 PM. Reason: Typos
    L
    L
    You're right, of course. I apologize.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM