Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 99 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 81 of 131 1 2 79 80 81 82 83 130 131
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by Can2K
    She did get better eating at daycare but mostly waited until I picked her up to nurse. Somehow, I did manage to wean her at just over 2 yrs...

I'm on a 100% child-led weaning schedule. The benefit of nursing DS3 is I now have learned from him that my milk is, by his account, better than any of: chocolate, ice cream, or meat (his favorite food group).

This is an oldie but a goodie: when DS was maybe 8 or 9 months old, my parents were visiting us from out of town. Amid the hubbub, DS decided that he needed some peace, so he shouted out, "Mama, nurse! Boob! OUT!" The laughter that ensued was enough to cement that particular phrasing as his choice nursing request for a few months.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    N
    N
    It was not uncommon for us to get sheets showing that the baby sipped 5-8oz (attempted) from bottle from daycare as the total day input for both kids until they moved to cups and solids. yep, that meant all night nursing sessions.

and once on solids, we had issues with constipation for DS due to his love of bready food and diarrhea from too much fruit and veggies for DD. Daycare used to hide the oranges until DD had eaten some other food before they showed the oranges, otherwise she would refuse to touch any other food for that meal.

DD was going through the "Open the shop! Right now!" phase when she wanted to nurse... at a little over 2, she still loves to nurse and I am wondering how or when I am ever going to wean her.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by aquinas
    She did get better eating at daycare but mostly waited until I picked her up to nurse. Somehow, I did manage to wean her at just over 2 yrs...

I'm on a 100% child-led weaning schedule. The benefit of nursing DS3 is I now have learned from him that my milk is, by his account, better than any of: chocolate, ice cream, or meat (his favorite food group).

This is an oldie but a goodie: when DS was maybe 8 or 9 months old, my parents were visiting us from out of town. Amid the hubbub, DS decided that he needed some peace, so he shouted out, "Mama, nurse! Boob! OUT!" The laughter that ensued was enough to cement that particular phrasing as his choice nursing request for a few months.
    And this is why, in our house, all the vocabulary used for nursing is not in English. At least only our bilingual friends (in that language) have to hear about it!

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    E
    E
    Originally Posted by notnafnaf
    Daycare used to hide the oranges until DD had eaten some other food before they showed the oranges, otherwise she would refuse to touch any other food for that meal.

We had this problem with DS and bananas (very constipating for him). They were banned in our house for several years, and still are purchased in very small quantities.

When he was about 3, we went to a friend's house for a party (so there was lots of food available). He took a banana, went to an adult, and asked, "Will you open this for me, please?" So polite, and of course the answer was yes. When he finished it, he went and got another one, and asked a different adult.... By the time we noticed what was going on, he had eaten five bananas. He didn't poop for five days after that. eek

A
    A
    Originally Posted by aeh

And this is why, in our house, all the vocabulary used for nursing is not in English. At least only our bilingual friends (in that language) have to hear about it!
    Understandable. I'm a lactivist, so I actively promote talking about nursing and nursing openly, even if the language is conspicuous. I want DS to know that there's no shame in breastfeeding any more than there is in drinking a glass of water or asking for a hug. I'm on a mission to de-sexualize and de-objectify breasts! smile

Me 4-years-ago would probably not be so enthusiastic or shameless.

/exit soapbox smile

A
    A
    Originally Posted by ElizabethN
    Originally Posted by notnafnaf
    Daycare used to hide the oranges until DD had eaten some other food before they showed the oranges, otherwise she would refuse to touch any other food for that meal.

We had this problem with DS and bananas (very constipating for him). They were banned in our house for several years, and still are purchased in very small quantities.

When he was about 3, we went to a friend's house for a party (so there was lots of food available). He took a banana, went to an adult, and asked, "Will you open this for me, please?" So polite, and of course the answer was yes. When he finished it, he went and got another one, and asked a different adult.... By the time we noticed what was going on, he had eaten five bananas. He didn't poop for five days after that. eek

That's a riot!

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by aeh

Understandable. I'm a lactivist, so I actively promote talking about nursing and nursing openly, even if the language is conspicuous. I want DS to know that there's no shame in breastfeeding any more than there is in drinking a glass of water or asking for a hug. I'm on a mission to de-sexualize and de-objectify breasts! smile

Me 4-years-ago would probably not be so enthusiastic or shameless.

/exit soapbox smile
    Well, I have to admit that, though our intent was to be somewhat discreet, the actual result of this, after 10 years and counting of cumulative nursing, is that there are people now who know only those few words in that language...since nursing on demand doesn't mean disappearing into another room in our house, it was pretty easy to learn those words...

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    C
    C
    Well - I weaned because DS was on the way and it was just too uncomfortable. Otherwise, we would probably have continued. Still, DS pretty much weaned himself around 2.5 yrs

C
    C
    LOL! At least you get a good answer to that question.

If I ask DS how many he wants of something, he just says "all of them!" Sometimes he eats that many, but mostly it's just to be contrarian.

N
    N
    Readermom DS at age 3 had what we thought was a grape stem up his nose, but it was a little weapon from his Start Wars figures. Once it was out (that's the day he really learned to blow his nose!) we asked why. "Because i didn't have any pockets." We nearly busted a gut trying not to laugh till he left the room. And yes, forever after his pants had pockets!

Page 81 of 131 1 2 79 80 81 82 83 130 131

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Detracking
    by indigo - 03/16/24 08:23 PM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by lll - 03/07/24 06:51 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by lll - 03/03/24 10:14 AM
    Patents and Trademarks and Rights, oh my...!
    by indigo - 03/02/24 01:03 PM
    529 savings for private high school?
    by lululo4321 - 02/27/24 05:28 PM