Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 99 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 33 of 131 1 2 31 32 33 34 35 130 131
    K
    KJP Offline
    K
    DS has been described by his teacher as being delightfully off task this week. Apparently he and his friends at school have been avoiding their assignments and instead planning an elaborate Halloween party. They have written out a guest list, decided on food (there will be a room for healthy food and a room for junk food), and sketched decor ideas.

His teacher said it is hard to get too upset with them since they are doing such great things like collaborating, being creative, writing, drawing and coloring.

C
    C
    Originally Posted by KJP
    DS has been described by his teacher as being delightfully off task this week. Apparently he and his friends at school have been avoiding their assignments and instead planning an elaborate Halloween party. They have written out a guest list, decided on food (there will be a room for healthy food and a room for junk food), and sketched decor ideas.

His teacher said it is hard to get too upset with them since they are doing such great things like collaborating, being creative, writing, drawing and coloring.
    It's nice that the teacher actually sees the benefits in their creativity.

Cassie

"Imperfections in our journey were what made it perfect."-Ewan McGregor
    C
    C
    Got a new one from this weekend. We were putting up new world and U.S. maps in my dd9's room and she ran out of stickers that go on the maps to mark the places she wants to see. SO I called my boss at the community college I work at and she had extras from the same type of maps she bought for one of the instructors. Most of her class don't even know that some of these places exist much less want to see them some day.

Cassie

R
    R
    We were watching Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire after DS7 finished the book last weekend. He was ofcourse plenty mad with the movie since it was so different from the book but was looking forward to the part at the end when it is revealed Mad Eye Moody was really Barty Crouch Jr. DS went quiet all of a sudden when we got to it and then turned to me and said "But that is the Doctor from Doctor Who"
    He loves Doctor Who and David Tennant so was quite disappointed to find he was the bad guy ;-)

M
    M
    DD3.3 on Disneyland: "Oh, is that a place where people dress up in costume?"
    Me: "What do you mean? You mean you want to go there in a costume?"
    DD3.3: "No, silly mommy. People who work there. They dress up as characters."
    Me: "Since when did you know about this?"
    DD 3.3: "Since always. It's kind of obvious."
    Me: "Well, I guess we aren't going then. That defeats the whole purpose."
    DD 3.3: "What do YOU mean? Was I supposed to think they are real?"
    Me: "Yeah."
    DD 3.3: "You're confusing me."
    Me: "I guess I am."

So no, we're not going.

22B Offline
    Originally Posted by Mana
    DD3.3 on Disneyland: "Oh, is that a place where people dress up in costume?"
    Me: "What do you mean? You mean you want to go there in a costume?"
    DD3.3: "No, silly mommy. People who work there. They dress up as characters."
    Me: "Since when did you know about this?"
    DD 3.3: "Since always. It's kind of obvious."
    Me: "Well, I guess we aren't going then. That defeats the whole purpose."
    DD 3.3: "What do YOU mean? Was I supposed to think they are real?"
    Me: "Yeah."
    DD 3.3: "You're confusing me."
    Me: "I guess I am."

So no, we're not going.

This makes me sad.

OP Offline
    Oh, me too-- DD6 had a great time at Disneyland. It's true, she enjoyed the MoMA in SF a few weeks later a lot MORE, but still.

The rides are the reason we went, honestly-- that and the whole... atmosphere, which is sort of surreal when you get right down to it. I think that HG+ kids can really appreciate the irony and be amused by that. smile

She viewed it all as being rather like... performance art. It's like being IN the ring at a circus.

Last edited by HowlerKarma; 09/30/13 07:18 AM.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    L
    L
    We took DD4(then 3.3) to Disney world earlier this year and while she had her doubts about the characters in costume, she LOVED the whole experience! The parades were her favorite. I thought the whole thing was so fake and over the top, but I kept my thoughts to myself and let DD enjoy the magic while she still can. Seems like you DD has already outgrown the magic. Alas!

Here is my quirky brag. I read an article on moon to DD earlier yesterday. Later in the evening, she took me into her play tent with a flashlight and a tennis ball, asked me to turn off all the lights and then shone the flashlight on the ball and remarked," Hmmm, well, I guess it is possible!" When I asked her what she meant she replied," I wasn't sure how the moon could be so bright from just reflecting the light from the sun so I wanted to see if the ball would reflect the light."

N
    N
    Originally Posted by rachsr
    DS went quiet all of a sudden when we got to it and then turned to me and said "But that is the Doctor from Doctor Who"
    He loves Doctor Who and David Tennant so was quite disappointed to find he was the bad guy ;-)

Awww! I would have felt the same way, if I had known Tennant as the Doctor when I saw HP4! Luckily, I hadn't picked up Doctor Who yet, at that point. Poor guy!

C
    C
    Originally Posted by Lovemydd
    Here is my quirky brag. I read an article on moon to DD earlier yesterday. Later in the evening, she took me into her play tent with a flashlight and a tennis ball, asked me to turn off all the lights and then shone the flashlight on the ball and remarked," Hmmm, well, I guess it is possible!" When I asked her what she meant she replied," I wasn't sure how the moon could be so bright from just reflecting the light from the sun so I wanted to see if the ball would reflect the light."

There is actually a mythbusters on this about how some people believe us going to the moon is a hoax. They show that the dirt on the moon actually has something that is reflective in it that helps with the light from the sun. I don't remember all of it but that part was pretty interesting.

Cassie

Page 33 of 131 1 2 31 32 33 34 35 130 131

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Detracking
    by indigo - 03/16/24 08:23 PM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by lll - 03/07/24 06:51 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by lll - 03/03/24 10:14 AM
    Patents and Trademarks and Rights, oh my...!
    by indigo - 03/02/24 01:03 PM
    529 savings for private high school?
    by lululo4321 - 02/27/24 05:28 PM