Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 99 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 32 of 131 1 2 30 31 32 33 34 130 131
    U
    U
    They'll figure it out unless they are determined to be idiots. I hope.

My story about DS revealing that he could read in preschool:

Teacher at circle time holding up the book: Now...what do we think this story could be about?
    DS: Well, it's called (Title of Book), so I think it's about (subjects mentioned in title).

Fortunately the teacher a) realized what was going on and b) thought this was hysterical.

C
    C
    Originally Posted by Nautigal
    Does she have the "Darth Vader and Son" and "Darth Vader's Little Princess" books? DD7 is obsessed with them at the moment. They are pretty simple reading, but the humor is awesome -- each page is like a Far Side cartoon, practically.

What's funny is that she's never even seen Star Wars -- she only picked up on it from Angry Birds! But I'll be surprised, given the current obsession, if she doesn't end up wanting a Jedi costume or something Star Wars for Halloween.

I haven't gotten those yet. She has hundreds of books and most she hasn't read yet. I try not to get her too many Star Wars books at once because she won't read anything else. And I want her to have a variety of reading. But she has been reading the Jedi Academy book and the Star Wars Science project book. She is also reading the Junior Jedi Knights books but they are sometimes hard to find unless you order online. DD9 has seen all the movies but Episode III because it's a lot more violent and I don't think she is quite ready for that yet.

Cassie

"Imperfections in our journey were what made it perfect."-Ewan McGregor
    M
    M
    Yes, that is what it is like at library story time. smile The librarian was quick to recognize that DS was reading the words when he answers questions.

When my DD was 4 until a couple of years ago she invented a super heroine alter ego for herself and would have all the boys she knew role playing with her. She was also really into Star Wars so her alter ego was married to Luke Skywalker, Jesus and a few others that I can longer remember - LOL

Become what you are
    Several months ago, my DD8 amused herself by inventing a new Star Wars alien species.

N
    N
    Originally Posted by ColinsMum
    Originally Posted by mama2three
    Speaking to preschool teacher for DS3...

Teacher: he loves to pretend to read to the other kids.
    Me: He does read fluently.
    Teacher: It's almost like he can! Any book we pull up, he remembers the story -- word for word!
    Me: He actually can read.
    Teacher, laughing: He sure makes it look that way, doesn't he!
    Lol. There are none so blind as those who will not see... Next time you see that they've put up a new adult-directed notice, lift him up and let him read that. Not that I've btdt or anything :-)

Yes, we had no problem with this because when we took DS to the preschool to register, he was wandering around the office, reading the registration forms and notices and paperwork on the director's desk, out loud. She couldn't have been this blind even if she had been inclined!

A
    A
    Originally Posted by mama2three
    Speaking to preschool teacher for DS3...

Teacher: he loves to pretend to read to the other kids.
    Me: He does read fluently.
    Teacher: It's almost like he can! Any book we pull up, he remembers the story -- word for word!
    Me: He actually can read.
    Teacher, laughing: He sure makes it look that way, doesn't he!

Determined, isn't she?

Although we have some great librarians locally, one is a real dud. She kept encouraging me to read toddler board books to DS23mo when he was about 18mo until, one day, she handed him a counting book with rainbow butterflies, which he read in front of her, enumerating the butterflies and identifying colours. It was as though she didn't see him do this because she asked, "Are you going to check it out?" Umm...no. What possible value would he get from it?

I wanted to knock on her forehead like a cantaloupe. Bad Mummy! wink

What is to give light must endure burning.
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by Dude
    Several months ago, my DD8 amused herself by inventing a new Star Wars alien species.

A friend of mine's nephew (who is gifted) did the very same thing. Had the home world and everything all planned out. How fun!

Cassie

"Imperfections in our journey were what made it perfect."-Ewan McGregor
    A
    A
    DD6 and I pulled up outside the house. I said "Oh there was a library book waiting for you on the hold shelf when I went to get my book, here it is."
    I handed it to her, we got out of the car, walked down the driveway, entered the house and DD put the book on the kitchen table, saying "Finished!"
    Note to self: get DD harder books from library smile

N
    N
    Ha! My mother used to lament that I had all my books (and we checked out 20 or so at a time, each) finished by the time we got home. Now, in fairness to me, we did generally stop at the grocery store on the way....

Page 32 of 131 1 2 30 31 32 33 34 130 131

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Detracking
    by indigo - 03/16/24 08:23 PM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by lll - 03/07/24 06:51 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by lll - 03/03/24 10:14 AM
    Patents and Trademarks and Rights, oh my...!
    by indigo - 03/02/24 01:03 PM
    529 savings for private high school?
    by lululo4321 - 02/27/24 05:28 PM