Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 99 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 30 of 131 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 130 131
    C
    C
    My DD9 is going to counseling now for her anxiety which is attached to the giftedness. The first visit was tricky because she doesn't like talking to strangers. Once her counselor finally was able to pull something out of her it was about art and if she liked to draw. She finally said excitedly, "Yes but mostly abstract." He gave her a funny look and said "abstract?" and pointed at a poster on his wall that was indeed abstract. "She said Yeah I like that one. I also like that Escher over there but I like his one with the stairs better. It's pretty cool."

Her Counselor shook his head and said, "this would be weird if I hadn't had the same kind of conversations with my daughter when she was young. She was gifted too."

Cassie

"Imperfections in our journey were what made it perfect."-Ewan McGregor
    M
    M
    Originally Posted by Cassmo451
    My DD9 is going to counseling now for her anxiety which is attached to the giftedness. The first visit was tricky because she doesn't like talking to strangers. Once her counselor finally was able to pull something out of her it was about art and if she liked to draw. She finally said excitedly, "Yes but mostly abstract." He gave her a funny look and said "abstract?" and pointed at a poster on his wall that was indeed abstract. "She said Yeah I like that one. I also like that Escher over there but I like his one with the stairs better. It's pretty cool."

Her Counselor shook his head and said, "this would be weird if I hadn't had the same kind of conversations with my daughter when she was young. She was gifted too."

How lucky that your daughter's counselor "gets her"!

A
    A
    Cassmo451, that's lovely that your daughter is connecting with her counsellor. So much raw emotion can be expressed through art. I'm glad to hear they have a common interest.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    OP Offline
    DD14 is geeking out over this video this morning (sent to her and a classmate by their former Physics teacher):

http://io9.com/so-this-physics-grad-student-made-a-mindblowing-bohemia-1333515132

She immediately says to me, an unholy fire in her eyes-- Oh mom, I think that maybe I do like Physics after all. Just not classical mechanics. I can't WAIT to take calculus-based physics in college! Yay!!

Another quirky quip from her last week, regarding a disastrous competition outing with her dog (a VERY eager-to-please, very tender herder) in which she was trying to "force" the dog, rather than "encourage" her-- ultimately, the dog decided she'd had enough and taught her a lesson by abruptly becoming overtly oppositional. In the ring. With the judge watching.

I made some quip about not treating the dog with that level of disrespect again... treating her like the PARTNER that she clearly sees herself as...

DD: Yeah, I feel pretty bad about that. I was wrong. {deep sigh}

Me: What was that? Wow-- did you say what I thought you said?

DD: Probably not. I was saying something about loving the taste of crow.

Me: snorting "Yeah, the dog kinda SERVED you."

Her: {uncharacteristically meekly} "And she made me clean my plate, too. And say 'thank you.'

blush

At least she learns. Took a 19 lb creampuff of a dog, pushed beyond all reason, to teach her that lesson, and it took doing it the hard way, but at least she learns.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    22B Offline
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    DD14 is geeking out over this video this morning (sent to her and a classmate by their former Physics teacher):

http://io9.com/so-this-physics-grad-student-made-a-mindblowing-bohemia-1333515132

She immediately says to me, an unholy fire in her eyes-- Oh mom, I think that maybe I do like Physics after all. Just not classical mechanics. I can't WAIT to take calculus-based physics in college! Yay!!

Already posted here.
    http://giftedissues.davidsongifted..../Nerdiest_YouTube_videos.html#Post168185

C
    C
    Oh brother this is intense. My husband, (big genius), went to Walmart and then picked up the girl, (little genius), from school. While at Walmart they had got a new shipment of flowers and with it came a tarantula! NO JOKE. So the hubby decides to bring it home for the girl to study. The girl, who is afraid of all bugs and other creepy crawlies, lets dad borrow her Star Wars tadpole/frog terrarium we haven't used yet to house the tarantula temporarily. And she is helping him research it to find out what kind of tarantula it is. I told them just to keep the thing away from me. I don't even want to accidentally see it.

On top of that we have two dogs, a fish, and triops in the house. Outside the house we have a creek full of fish, groundhogs, rabbits, and armadillo, a beaver, and a skunk that wanders around every few weeks to stink the area up. And believe it or not I live smack dab in the middle of town. My daughter has a field day every day...LOL

Cassie

"Imperfections in our journey were what made it perfect."-Ewan McGregor
    L
    L
    DD4 was so excited this week because her science teacher brought in a real coyote skull and let all the children touch it. When I asked her how a coyote's skull looked, she said," well, it is kind of like an ovoid with a flattened surface." LOL!

OP Offline
    DD, about the addition of another math class to her schedule (dual enrollment Precalc):

Well, this is seeming fine. {smiles} You know, I just realized something about math. It's kind of like ice cream-- the first time through it, it tastes pretty good and it's really awesome--but then I get too eager, and I try to consume it too fast and it REALLY hurts my head...

and the second time through, I can savor the taste better and avoid the brain freeze.
    grin

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    M
    M
    DD's latest quirk is that she likes to read the nutrition information panels. It's fine when she does this at home but when she does this outside, we kind of get the "freak show" vibe from people around us.

A 3 year old girl who names Mozzarella cheese instead of just cheese as a pizza toping = adorable

DD who declares she still needs to get 3/4 of her daily calcium intake to grow her bones after eating a cup of yogurt = weird

M
    M
    My own mother brings us Rosemary seedlings to any in our garden. Three year old says "I can put it on my lamb!".

Page 30 of 131 1 2 28 29 30 31 32 130 131

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Detracking
    by indigo - 03/16/24 08:23 PM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by lll - 03/07/24 06:51 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by lll - 03/03/24 10:14 AM
    Patents and Trademarks and Rights, oh my...!
    by indigo - 03/02/24 01:03 PM
    529 savings for private high school?
    by lululo4321 - 02/27/24 05:28 PM