Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
    Ann Offline OP
    OP Offline
    When DS turned 2 we bought him a bike w/ training wheels b/c he started doing tricks on his tricycle. We took that as a sign that he may be ready to upgrade. The first two days on the bike were frustrating for DS b/c he was trying to figure out the new placement of the feet. Day 3 something clicked and he�s been enjoying it ever since.

However, I haven�t raised the training wheels further. I still cringe when DS takes a corner since both training wheels don�t touch the ground. Do you see any reason why I shouldn�t leave the bike as-is (i.e., not raise the training wheels bit by bit)? I�d prefer not to raise the training wheels b/c I�m too nervous. I�m not sure at what age kids typically ride a bike w/o training wheels. I wonder if I�m being over protective/anxious.

At least DS doesn�t mind wearing his helmet. When we were at REI getting his bike we had to get a big helmet b/c DS has a large melon head. Should he be wearing knee or elbow pads? What seems to work for your kiddos?

Ann Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thanks Dottie! At least DS's helping me work off the sweets I glutinously consume. I run alongside him as he rides. I�m not enjoying my �love� handles. Perhaps you can loan me some big girl pants. A while ago he took a corner too fast - the bike toppled and DS fell into the street skinning his elbow pretty bad. There was a moment of pause. I wanted to yelp and rush him to the house to clean his elbow. It took self-control I don�t usually possess for me to stand there and wait for DS�s reaction. ...which was to get back on the bike and ride the rest of the way around the block. Sigh. How many times do children make your heart stop with fear for their safety or emotional well-being? They should hand out Xanax in the delivery room to new moms.

Yes, 2yo sounds WAY too early to me for raising the training wheels.

2yo is quite early for a 2-wheeler, I think, though that's not a judgement since your DS was clearly ready for it. I mean it only as an observation that your DS is ahead of the curve on this.

I'm with Dottie: the end of last summer (age 6 and a few months) was DS7's first year without training wheels. Until they're 5-7yo, kids usually don't have the balance and leg strength to manage without training wheels.

We have used a helmet and no pads with DS4 (who started riding a 2-wheeler at 3yo, at the end of last season), though the pads wouldn't be a bad idea. Either that or have a good supply of bandaids on hand. We have used our share!

Kriston
    Ann Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    Either that or have a good supply of bandaids on hand. We have used our share!

Snort laugh - you reminded me that I've hidden the bandaids. During DS's "naked time" (what he calls it) I caught him jumping on our bed doing the "naked dance" covered in a box of bandaids. DS's always had a love affair w/ adhesive things. The naked dance goes something like this: gorilla stance shifting weight side to side while singing "I'm naked - I'm naked - I'm really really naked - Naked! Naked! Naked!". crazy

I think raising the training wheels a bit can actually help with cornering. I taught my DD to ride a two-wheeler on the grass at the park before she tried it on cement.

Yes, grass at the park is good!

DD5 started riding without wheels about the time she turned 4, maybe just before.
    DD8 STILL cannot ride a bike by herself. Her dad helps her get going, then she freaks out, starts crying and storms into the house.
    Fun times, fun times.

LOL on the "naked dance" Ann! 2 is very young to be riding a bike. Like others have mentioned, most children are between 5 and 7 before they ride without training wheels. I do have a friend though whose son rode a bike without training wheels at 18 months. They got him a pocket rocket when he was 3!!!! (I'm not advocating this - just stating facts). He is the only child I have ever heard of that did these things this early. Sounds like your child must have wonderful balance too!!! smile

B
    B
    My little guy is 5 and is just about ready for the training wheels to come off - not quite - but soon....the boy down the street is 7 and he just had his training wheels come off a few weeks ago....I used to run behind our son with his bike but he got to be really, really fast so we just went and purchased our own mommy/daddy bike and now we ride together :-) I think 2 is really too soon for a 2 wheeler. He has actually gotten his balance really well from his scooter that we got...he can now go like the wind while pumping with his foot on the ground behind him and then lifting it up and balancing it on the scooter with his other and he is making all kinds of turns and tricks while balancing...I think that has helped him big time with understanding balance and will help him when the trainers come off

A
    A
    Ann
    No anecdotal evidence here, just a thought. Sounds like your life is super-stressful so just let your guy do his bike thing -- and wait until he asks or even longer to consider two-wheeling. He'll be fine and you won't be creating more stress/fear/ craziness/ uncertainty in the bigger picture.

XXOX (oops! I'm I just supposed to say 'hugs' convention paranoia...
    Aline

Riding a two-wheeler at 18 months! Holy cow! That's great. smile

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM