Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
    Love the naked dance! We have that, too with our 4yo. Never has there been a child who so enjoyed being without clothing...except perhaps your child. smile So fun!

Kriston
    DS5 has been riding without the training wheels for last few weeks only. I don't think he was ready for it last year. A son of a friend of mine could do it already around his 3rd birthday.

LOL at the naked dance. We never had that.

LMom
    I'm going to make Kristin happy with a bit of philosophising here.

This is a good example of why children come with 2 parents, one male who tends to be daring, one female who tends to patch up the booboos. Every child needs someone to say, "go go go!", and tell the child to shake it off when they get minor booboos. They also need someone to comfort them and encourage them to keep trying.

As most said, 5-7 is typical to take off the training wheels. I took off GS8's on his 7th birthday(a bit of role reversal between hubby & me, but whatever works!). It was another couple months before he really took off. I have seen plenty of children younger than 5, just depends on how much the kid wants it I guess.

grin

And I agree completely, OHG!

Kriston
    C
    C
    I fear the bike riding. Actually, the teaching of the riding, not so much the riding itself. smile

My DS is almost 3, an is bog for his age, but he seems to be a bit uncoordinated. We have a Big Wheel for him that I haven't pulled out since last summer, but I think he's finally ready to try that. Maybe a tricycle. No way my big oaf of a kid is ready for a 2 wheeler with, or especially without, training wheels.

K
    K
    FWIW, DD (4 as of next week) just got on a bike with training wheels for the first time a few weeks ago. DS7 was freewheeling without training wheels last summer at 6. He was close the year before then winter came upon us. He was held back a bit by the long, hard winters we endure! This year he got a little bit bigger bike with gears and hand brakes and he can go for miles and miles - quite fun! I still like our really big trike for our 4 year old.

Anyway - keep those training wheels on!

And DS7 was a big fan of the naked dance. A lot of times he still leaves his pants by the door when he comes in. At least he doesn't do it at other people's houses anymore!

Ann Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by CatherineD
    My DS is almost 3, an is bog for his age, but he seems to be a bit uncoordinated. We have a Big Wheel for him that I haven't pulled out since last summer, but I think he's finally ready to try that. Maybe a tricycle. No way my big oaf of a kid is ready for a 2 wheeler with, or especially without, training wheels.

Hi Catherine! smile My DS 2.6 is big for his age -- at least he seems big to me when I need to pick him up -- 3'5" & 44lbs. DS had a radio flyer trike when he was 18 mos but we had to shop around for a bigger trike when he got a little older. We were able to find a big trike at REI, which is where we also got his bike w/ training wheels. REI is just a thought if you have trouble finding bikes to fit your big kid. smile

Ann Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by OHGrandma
    This is a good example of why children come with 2 parents, one male who tends to be daring, one female who tends to patch up the booboos. Every child needs someone to say, "go go go!", and tell the child to shake it off when they get minor booboos. They also need someone to comfort them and encourage them to keep trying.

You've got it OGH! DS goes to DH to fulfill his daredevil side, but when he wants comfort or a kiss for an owie he comes to me. smile

K
    K
    Oh my goodness Ann! My 7 year old DS weighs 48. My almost 4 year old DD weighs maybe pushing 40. He is a BIG boy. smile

We got both kid bikes we have at REI. They are really nice bikes. Especially the geared/hand brake 20" we just got. We actually do go out and ride as a family for a couple hours at a time (with DD in a burley trailer).

Ann Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Kriston
    Love the naked dance! We have that, too with our 4yo. Never has there been a child who so enjoyed being without clothing...except perhaps your child. smile So fun!

It's a good thing there isn't a nudist component of GT functions. DS would have no problem stripping down. He definitely didn't get my home-body modest gene. This morning DS went to school with a panty liner across his forehead. Sigh. He referrs to it as "a clean one." When he asks me for "a clean one" I'm supposed to fork over a panty liner. He likes it b/c it has a bigger patch of adhesive than his stickers or post-its. I wonder how long this love affair w/ adhesives will last. DS enjoys going to school with big stickers on his cheeks, forehead and mouth. I'm supposed to try to decipher what he says behind the sticker on his mouth. Double sigh. Recently I took DS to a dinner party at my professor's house. DS went around shaking people's hands and introducing himself. I've never seen him shake hands before. Kids never cease to amaze me.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM