Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    josiejo #163326 07/31/13 05:40 AM
    U
    U
    * double post

Last edited by ultramarina; 07/31/13 05:41 AM.
    Mk13 #163329 07/31/13 06:35 AM
    Z
    Z
    I've always thought it a bit of a truism that kids and often adults avoid eye contact when guilty or in a high emotional state. My personal experience is in the hyper range of things. I tend to look away from someone in a heavy emotional state for fear of being overwhelmed by it. Conversely I'd worry about projecting my own emotions onto someone else and not look at them.

Looking at what Temple Grandin describes, it is a completely different experience between her picking up patchwork details and my being overwhelmed by saturated holistic information. If they lead to the same diagnosis, the problem is the diagnosis in the same way it is with how hyperlexia was broken out above.

josiejo #168313 09/18/13 08:15 PM
    B
    B
    My DS seems to be the classic "type 3" in that article, with Einstein Syndrome as well (although he is dyspraxic, so that could explain his delayed speech development).

He's never had a fascination with books or letters, but started reading early. One day I printed out a list of sight words from K-third grade and was shocked that he could read almost all of them, despite never being taught them. He was reading well at 4 and in kindergarten reading chapter books, despite hardly ever reading or practicing at home. It was like he magically absorbed the reading process.

I would love to know what the IQ profile is of such kids. DS is high on non-verbal ability (140's), and he was recently given a visual perception test and got a perfect score on visual memory and visual spatial ability. The test was meant for adults as well as kids and he still got perfect scores in those categories. I wonder if the hyperlexia is related to seeing patterns in phonics, or memorizing whole words, or what.

We have been worried abut autism since he was a toddler. He had lots of words but wasn't putting them together in phrases til 2.5. He didn't point to anything til 18 months. Then he started a phase where he meowed like a cat more than talked. He ran around on his toes and flapped his arms. His voice has always had an odd pitch/prosody. Now I know these things can be related to his dyspraxia, and there is an overlap between ASD symptoms and dyspraxia symptoms. As he is getting older (now 6) we have been seeing less and less of the autistic-like features and he is getting a lot more social and outgoing.

blackcat #168319 09/19/13 01:55 AM
    P
    P
    To me it seems entirely reasonable not to look at someone who is angry or upset with you - a kind of self defence. But it is oh so annoying when ds6 does it. I think he is just trying to tune me out though.

I agree with the poster who said that there was more acceptance of wierdness in the past - people were mean at times but they didn't assume medical intervention was required if someone was a bit different.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM