Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 318 guests, and 27 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    cammom #168199 09/18/13 08:45 AM
    P
    P

cammom #168200 09/18/13 08:46 AM
    Well, moving offline, unfortunately, is likely to be the only way to get away from that "right/wrong" issue.

Singapore's Challenging Word Problems books are very good. Others here have said good things about AoPS, though we've not used it ourselves.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    cammom #168205 09/18/13 09:02 AM
    If you want a video game to just memorize facts try Sum Dog. The free version lets you adjust the level any time. It says you're playing against live school children, but each on your own level. For each math question you get right you get to make a move on a video game puzzle. off to pull out the laptop to check out the mathletics..

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    22B Offline
    Originally Posted by Marnie
    question for all the well-informed parents out there: as far as the math curriculums online (dreambox, khan, singapore etc math whiz etc etc), can someone briefly give a rundown on how each of the sites are presented, and how they differ? I would love to find something less like IXL, and more along the lines of something like starfall...if there is such a thing. a way to learn and it be more fun. (not that the multiple choice isnt fun, but it becomes a little problematic with perfectionist DS wanting to get all the answers right and becoming frustrated any time he misses a question...regardless of what grade he is working on. I would love your feedback!

http://www.mathplayground.com/
    (Not a "curriculum", but lots of math games and other things.)

cammom #168352 09/19/13 10:15 AM
    C
    cammom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Admittedly, this isn't going to cover your question but, but here is my take on what I know:

1. Dreambox is more "game" driven and visual. My DS6 likes it because it's more like playing than work. I don't think it allows for much skipping around - that is, according to his teacher, you can't move from one concept until you have mastered a previous concept. This is a blessing and a curse for gifted kids - (pro is fewer knowledge gaps, con unable to explore new math passions).

2. We've used Khan Academy a few times. It's like a YouTube classroom smartboard instruction. I like it as a supplement if my son is interested in something. It's great for me - a non-gifted parent of an HG child. I haven't thought of exponents in 20 years and didn't imagine I would have to reeducate myself when my son started the 1st grade. I figured I had a few more years- so, Khan Academy can be helpful to us regular folk trying to explain math to our more intelligent children.

3. IXL- my opinion- computer based Kumon. If you can get your child to do it, it's excellent for math drills. Mine doesnt like it either. I am not skeptical of math drills (many are)- but it helped my DS develop better fluency and become less frustrated when he automatically could calculate the component parts of a harder problem (e.g. Knowing the multiplication table "cold" sure helps stem frustration with long multiplication and division was almost an afterthought once he got that
    table).

4. I'm not too familiar - we bought a workbook because we're considering a school change with the new school using Singapore. Based on what I see, I love it- especially the challenge math section at the back. In my opinion, it's more visual with a stronger emphasis on analysis than some other curriculums I've seen. I want my DS to have an arsenal for solving a math equation, which calls for strong analytical skills and mastery. Singapore math fits the bill for me.

cammom #168354 09/19/13 10:17 AM
    C
    cammom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    4 should say Singapore math.

cammom #168359 09/19/13 10:40 AM
    C
    C
    Thank you for the thorough review, cammon! very helpful! smile

cammom #168363 09/19/13 10:55 AM
    D
    D
    i'll put in a(nother? i can't remember!) plug for the Australian program, Mathletics. it's not totally flexible (ie - they do ask you to pick a grade) but there are always easier/harder options available for every lesson. it also doesn't force them to crank out a billion versions of the same type of problem, which is a mercy for a kid who doesn't need a ton of reinforcement. even my kid, Captain Eyeroll, can stick out the 10 Qs in a lesson and the 15 Qs in a test without deploying too much sarcasm. she also likes that she can skip straight to the test if she feels confident.

i'm using Mathletics as a loose guide for the math portion of our homeschooling program - it certainly exceeds our regional expectations for Grade level. we do take lots of detours, but as far as the nuts & bolts of what we need to cover, it's doing us proud.

Every Sunday it brooded and lay on the floor. Inconveniently close to the drawing-room door.
    cammom #168384 09/19/13 02:17 PM
    M
    M
    We found mathletics really useful for introducing concepts to my DD, whose LDs make it really hard to learn brand new concepts in class, also it was just enough drill for confidence building for her. But it was way less complex and rigorous than the way the same content was covered at school - usually only one way of asking the same sort of question for example, making it super easy for the child to predict what the required calculation was, while teachers might phrase the question many different ways to make sure the kids know all of those ways of asking require the same concept, and likewise that there are multiple possible ways to solve.

My DD completed her year level in 10 weeks or less, she was in remedial math at the time (not PG at math!), its just really quick and easy to rip through, it helped her get out of remedial math, but primarily through making it easier to understand class enough to follow all the other stuff they covered (she has CAPD and has almost no chance of following completely new concepts given verbally in a group setting).

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM