Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 213 guests, and 20 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 9 of 16 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 15 16
    Val Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I'm sitting here waiting for the meeting to start. Thanks for all the laughs about the staples. Zen Scanner, you should consider writing up your study. I will volunteer to peer review it (anonymously, of course). It's a good candidate for an august publication known as the J.I.R. .

Okay, off I go. Wish me luck. Or staples.

Last edited by Val; 09/17/13 04:46 PM.
    K
    K
    Good luck!

Good luck Val. Having the same kind of issue with Mr W's teacher.

M
    M
    Fingers crossed for you Val!

Z
    Z
    Originally Posted by Val
    I'm sitting here waiting for the meeting to start. Thanks for all the laughs about the staples. Zen Scanner, you should consider writing up your study. I will volunteer to peer review it (anonymously, of course). It's a good candidate for an august publication known as the J.I.R. .

Okay, off I go. Wish me luck. Or staples.

Lol, thanks, and good staples to you, may the coefficient of friction be in your favor.

Val Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Well.

I suppose the summary is that Ms. T. wasn't interested in most of what I had to say, but I did get through on a couple points at the end.

The sad part came when we were talking about expectations. I told her that I'd been reading about executive function and asynchronous development. She didn't seem to have heard of either idea and I defined them and said that researchers had found that some cognitive abilities, such as math or reading abilities, can lag behind other ones, like planning ability or organizational skills. I'll skip all the details, but that line of conversation was terminated abruptly when she told me that she "would just expect all of these things to develop at the same time."

She agreed that hyphens and commas aren't mathematics. This is about "following directions." I mentioned that maybe too much of it can kill enthusiasm, but she didn't seem impressed. She admitted that she figures that at least half the fifth grade is afraid of her. She also said, "But I don't care. I'm here to teach them, not baby them and once they get to know me, they won't be afraid of me anymore." Uh-huh. I mentioned that there's a middle ground between babying and being too strict, but I didn't get the sense that that idea made much of an impression, either.

I finally got fed up and told her that I was concerned about psychological damage to my kid and that we'd be revisiting the math arrangement in 4-6 weeks.

I did get through to her on one fairly big point, and the whole fifth grade will benefit. She gave them one of those beginning-of-the-year assessments and was APPALLED at how PATHETIC everyone's answers were. I asked to see the assessment. Turned out it was an end-of-year assessment. She had only looked at "the chapter titles of the fourth grade book" and written the test on what she assumed were the details. DD did the stuff we'd gone over already and didn't know the stuff we hadn't. Oh dear. Ms. T. actually looked surprised and said, "Maybe I better talk to the 4th grade teacher." I had to keep telling her "I went through this with DS last year; I remember what they learned and what DD learned."

So she's teaching fifth graders and clearly didn't even bother to look at the fifth grade math book.

To be fair, she made some good points about skills that kids need to learn. Yet she didn't seem to think she had to actually teach these skills. My impression was that she just expected the kids to acquire them because she tells them to.

For me, the single most frustrating thing about dealing with schools is that people can be so certain about things they are completely clueless about. My DD's teachers are very skilled at smooth talking confidence in this respect. And there is simply no getting through to them. I really have to just give up, accept it, and move on. I cannot communicate with these people because they are not interested.

Argh.

Last edited by Val; 09/17/13 07:31 PM. Reason: Clarity
    Z
    Z
    I don't suppose it's a public title I school and the requirements for highly qualified kick in. A middle school math teacher may not actually meet the requirements for highly qualified elementary school teacher.

Val Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Zen Scanner
    I don't suppose it's a public title I school and the requirements for highly qualified kick in. A middle school math teacher may not actually meet the requirements for highly qualified elementary school teacher.

It's a private school.

But, to segue from my own thread, I looked up the requirements for "highly qualified teacher" and they don't seem terribly stringent to me:

Teachers are NCLB compliant (HQT) when they meet the following criteria:
    • Hold at least a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college/university [/i]
    • Hold the appropriate teaching authorization
    • Demonstrate subject-matter competency in each core academic subject taught
    confused

One would thing that this stuff would be the [i]minimum for anyone wanting a teaching job at a school, not a standard for being "highly qualified."

To segue back to your question, by these standards the answer is yes. IMO, she isn't (degree is in a non-technical subject).

H
    H
    Do you think Mrs. T has a valid teaching license?

I was rather dismayed when I looked up the teaching licenses of our private gifted school's teaching staff. Several were not licensed to teach in our state.

I learned that when people act unprofessionally... well they actually might NOT be professionals. States often have no requirements for private school staff. You can pay a hefty tuition bill and end up with an unqualified teacher. Might be worth a look at your state board of ed license look up site.

P
    P
    She gave the end of year test instead of the beginning of year? Did your child pass? You would have thought the high proportion of "pathetic answers" would have given her a clue.

Page 9 of 16 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 15 16

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM