Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 217 guests, and 23 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    G
    G
    Willa, this makes me so angry to read what you're going through with the school. Especially that the AT won't tell you his WPM and accuracy scores, etc. How ridiculous. This is your child, you have a right to know how he tested! Arggh. I wish I had some good advice to add, but I don't--other than to keep fighting ("Fite-ing"--smile) for him.

Is there anyone higher up who can help you advocate? Anyone in the district or ISD offices? Local or state gifted groups? The state special ed coordinator? I mean, this is ridiculous. And it sounds like it is just going to drag on the same way until the year is over, with no changes being made.

I have a friend IRL who was having problems with her daughter's school not accommodating her needs. Talks with the teacher were getting nowhere--oh, except she found out the teacher had never bothered to read her daughters IEP. The situation escalated while the teacher/school admin. kept putting her off and "being nice" and promising to meet again, review things, etc. Her daughter was miserable. Finally my friend took her daughter out of school, called the principal and said "I'm keeping her home until this is resolved." Also put it in writing, with copies to higher ups--superintendent, etc. Within three days she had calls from the district SPED administrators asking how they could help her work things out.

Sometimes you have to do something drastic before you get action.

My heart is with you,

GG

Mavis Beacon teaches typing. I bribed him, starting at age seven. Only took two years off and on. LOL

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Willa:
    For advocacy ideas and the law, check out www.wrightslaw.com

Do you have a Center for Independent Living in MN that serves your area? If so see if they have a Youth Advocate. You and Mite can access their services for free. Maybe you just need to find the right tools and ammo to bring to the next meeting wink
    Sometimes just mentioning "due process" makes them jump into action!

W
    OP Offline
    W
    I'm ready with the "due process" at the tip of my tongue, Debbie. Can't tell you how many times it has been bitten back. I want to USE it very effectively when I need to.

One thing I have planned to say to the AT who is always spouting "least restrictive environment" is "least restrictive environment to PROVIDE ACCESS the general curriculum NOT TO KEEP THE DISTRICT BUDGET DOWN AND TEACHERS' AND "AT" CONVENIENCE TO MAXIMUM" I really think she keeps knocking him down because SHE doesn't want to spend the time helping him and setting it up for the teachers. She's the one who'd have to convert the assigments for the keyboarding.

ok...got the yelling out here so maybe I can be calm when I say that to her:^)

Willa Gayle
    G
    G
    To Diana: Thank you so much for telling me about Cluttering. I think this is what my son has! I started a new thread to tell you more (don't want to keep disrupting Fite's original thread on keyboarding, etc.--sorry about that, Fite).

GG

W
    OP Offline
    W
    NOt a problem. I love the way these "conversations" drift along need by need. REally I learn so much and find it so helpful and interesting.

I really did hate interrupting the flow. :^)

Willa Gayle
    W
    OP Offline
    W
    now I have a question about cluttering and speed. this is about moi, not Mite or Rite. I speak very very quickly. So quickly I am often asked to "slow down". The principal at Mite's school often asks me to slow down because he can't understand me. My older bro also speaks very very quickly and doesn't move his lips when he speaks. Neither do I apparently but I ain't go no lips to speak of:^)

Anyhow, I've been told I articulate clearly but speak very rapidly.

After a car accident in Sept. I started stuttering and having difficulty with word retrieval.

Could these be symptoms of cluttering?

Or am I just weird? (now bite your tongues:^)!!! lol

Willa Gayle
    You said:
    SHE doesn't want to spend the time helping him and setting it up for the teachers. She's the one who'd have to convert the assigments for the keyboarding.

What do you mean "convert the assignments" for keyboarding? Do tell, WG.

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    W
    OP Offline
    W
    from what I understand if he keyboards then the assignments have to be converted so he can the answers into the appropriate spots on some of the tasks. I don't quite understand why he can't just type the answers with the number before it, but she says that won't work for everything.

i really don't get the hesitation at all Trin. He handwrites at 6 wpm. He keyboard faster than that, I know he does. So, everything she says just seems to be an excuse.

Willa Gayle
    G
    G
    Originally Posted by willagayle
    I really did hate interrupting the flow. :^)

You didn't interrupt the flow, Fite, you just guided the errant stream back to the main river. :-)

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM