Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    DS10 fluctuates between using keyboard in the classroom on a lap top that he brings himself,and using the computers that are in each classroom. Sometimes he handwrites, but as with Mite, he shares so much more of his soul via keyboard. At age 9, it "clicked" and he is about 60 wpm or higher now.

I do think that picking up speed is not the goal during classroom product, but should be it's own thing. OTOH I wouldn't prevent him from keyboarding now, as it's obviously important for him NOW.

Best wishes,
    Trin

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    W
    OP Offline
    W
    Really all he needs to write for note taking is 4-5 words now and then. For the classroom tasks, though, he needs a sentence or two several times a day. These desk work tasks are coming back home with 2 or 3 words per question, when they should be short answer essay or at least a couple of sentences.

Maybe if keyboarding isn't the answer, then we should make them use a taperecorder.

He is NOT MOTIVATED TO WRITE (not yelling at anyone in particular...just yellin8^) when his output is the illegible scribble. He needs motivation to write. He has so many beautiful thoughts and words in him and they don't CARE to read them, I guess.

deep cleansing breath....

Willa Gayle
    W
    OP Offline
    W
    Trin-
    did you just let him keyboard as he wishes or did you do keyboarding lessons?

Willa Gayle
    Oh, Willa! This is getting ridiculous - sorry, you already KNOW that!!!

It shouldn't matter how fast he can keyboard. What should matter is how well can he produce written work (quantity AND quality) with the keyboard versus handwriting. IF he can produce a better quality end product with the keyboard, that should take precedent. And I would guess that he can actually produce that quality at a faster rate than if he were handwriting.

They shouldn't be withholding the keyboard until he can, for example, type 20 WPM or something like that. But they SHOULD be providing him time for keyboarding practice in school IF they have agreed that eventually keyboarding is going to be a viable option for him. Do the educators NOT know what dysgraphia is????!!!!

I'll breath deeply with you now.

Here's a thought - ask the teacher how she would feel by the end of the day if she had to use the pen in her toes all day. Tell her that's how Mite feels.

W
    OP Offline
    W
    thanks! I'll ask that one. Maybe I'll even offer her a pen to try it!!! chuckle.

One thing that bothers me about all this is that I like to LIKE people and these people are very hard to like.

I agree that if the keyboarding produces better results it should be used. They don't want to allow school time for practice, though. They are just "so busy" with "only 6.5 hours to teach so many kids". I get so tired of their cliches.

I just wish they could take on his perspective. He has nothing to motivate him....the curriculum isn't stimulating, his hands don't work, reading is boring in school and impossible orally.

I know I know...homeschool. sigh if only....

Willa Gayle
    W
    OP Offline
    W
    the AT won't even tell me what his wpm and accuracy were. THAT ticks me off!!!

Willa Gayle
    D
    D
    I'm pretty certain they HAVE to give you the results of any evaulation they do on your child.

Have you considered hiring a lawyer? There are some that specialize in special ed. cases.

D
    D
    I would think that brining your own laptop to school, as Trinity's DS10 does, would make it easier on them. Any typing program will tell you Mite's typing speed and corrected typing speed.

I would focus on how to make it easier for them at the meeting. With a laptop, Mite can be more independent and complete assignments with a greater level of complexity and detail. Eventually, the laptop will be his saviour, so why put it off?

Math is the only tricky thing. Maple is a great math program which performs symbolic algebra, but it also does it all for you which you don't want at this level.

Regarding the gifted instruction being below Mite's level, we were disappointed by that too. At the beginning of the year the teacher would explain exciting things the gifted group were going to do. However, as she implemented them and DS13 was the only one capable of doing it, she then watered it down and then it was no longer valuable. Of course, no school is set up to teach the few percent of the population that can excel like Mite. But, with a keyboard he can express himself, and lots of outside reading provides background information, vocabulary, spelling, grammar, etc.

David E.

W
    OP Offline
    W
    I'm hoping not to go the lawyer route just yet. I have been very kind to these people. Right now I think one of the problems is the principal, who has been very helpful, has been gone a lot with admin. mtgs. So, he's not around to keep 'em in line.

I wish I could buy a laptop. We're so strapped right now; it will be summer before we can dreg the pennies together. It is, however, on the top of our list.

I'm going to start asking around and see if we can find a used one. Maybe I'll give up mine. I don't know.

The problem is, though, if they aren't willing to help him implement it in the classroom, it's an excercise in defeat.

Willa Gayle
    Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM