Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 210 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    G
    G
    Originally Posted by willagayle
    LOL!!! What a whirlwind of ideas! No wonder he doesn't have time to get the breathing into a rhythm!!

He sounds charming!

Thanks, Fite. I think he's quite charming (most of the time). Actually, some of the anecdotes you've shared about Mite remind me of my son. They seem to think in similar (complex) ways. DS8 is the kind of child who, instead of saying "I love you, Mom" will say things like "I really missed you yesterday, but then I thought about how our hearts are always connected by an invisible thread of love, even when we're not together."

Or (this was one morning in first grade, as he headed out the door to the bus stop): "When you were a kid, didn't you love it when there was a slight breeze in the morning air and it would dry the little tears in your eyes before you got to the bus stop, so the other kids wouldn't know you were a little sad about being away from your mom all day?"

Yes, he's a heart-melter. Maybe he should write for Hallmark.

GG

D
    D
    GG,

Your son�s story sounds like something my daughter would tell. The gasping for air issue also sounds familiar. I have always described her as having some difficulty in sequencing a story. She also sounds a bit ditsy sometimes (think valley girl �very excited and animated). I had never considered this as anything more than personality. When she was evaluated for the other issues, the testers came back with a term I had never heard regarding her oral expressive language, �cluttering�.

Two years ago, she was seen at a university Psych Ed. dept. to narrow down the 2E issues that I have described in other posts. We met with the department head for the debrief (approx. 2 hours). I told her that I usually explained to our daughter�s teachers that she has a �subtle learning difference� to with she responded �there is nothing subtle about your daughter�s learning disability�. I found that statement both validating (because our entire public district thought I was nuts) and frightening at the same time. I mentioned before that she has extremely low phonological distinction ability which was consistent with their findings, the U also suspects auditory processing deficits and regarding her speech, a condition called cluttering. She recommended a follow up with an audiologist and speech therapist. She suggested that we get very selective and look for professionals who understand that a gifted child might present differently than an average child.

We have chosen not to get the follow-ups because our daughter is such a successful student. As long as that holds, we intend to focus on her strengths rather then relative weakness. That being said, I do discuss with her that she may need to watch a teacher speak and other compensation strategies. I do believe that having a self awareness of areas of difficulty can help. Of course, if her grades declined, we would revisit this issue.

As far a reading aloud, my kids were not great at this until around 10. My daughter�s first K teacher (private school) gave me a very good explanation for this. Essentially, it is the sight word versus phonological reader difference. She said that kids who read by sight often have higher comprehension of what they read. Phonological readers may sound like professors in their pronunciation, but might not have a clear understanding of the meaning of what they read. Sight readers often substitute words while they read because they are anticipating what will come next. Since I believe the purpose of reading is to understand information, I never worried too much about this (although I did consider it a clue in determining their learning styles). With age, it is no longer an issue.

Well, between this and Fite�s info, I guess you will be doing some research. Good luck!

G
    G
    Originally Posted by Trinity
    Cool GG,
    But I can't picture what kind of responce that speech would bring in a school environment!
    T

Well, Trin, he's learned by now that he can't do those super-long explanations at school! At least not very often. He knows most teachers don't have the time/patience for it and most kids stop paying attention after the first sentence or two. I think he saves the long, complicated speeches for home.

G
    G
    Originally Posted by Ania
    Had to laugh GG, you just described how my son talks :-) He is much older (amlost 12) but still haven't lost that talent for making everything sound so complicated:-)
    Oh Ania, if our sons ever met... can you imagine the interesting conversations they could have?!

Sometimes, when I am absolutely not in the mood to listen, I just tell him to tell me the last sentence.
    Nodding here... yup, I do the same sometimes. Generally I try to be patient and let him talk, but at times I do say (during his little gasps for air) "can you skip to the end?" or "I don't have much time; just tell me the most important part." I try to avoid yelling GET TO THE POINT! though I do think it in my head sometimes. :-)

Does you son talk VERY fast? Does he occasionally "skip" the verbal explanation to catch up with his thinking and then he has you lost completely?
    Ania

No, I guess our boys differ there. On these long stories, mine talks at a normal to slow pace (unless he's really excited about something) and he says things with great emotion and facial expression, and sometimes acting out what he's describing. I haven't noticed the other thing you mentioned either (skipping the explanation).

Re: swimming & breathing, he's still a little scared of the water. Getting better, but doesn't do real "swimming" yet. But I'm thinking this summer might be time for swim lessons.

GG

G
    G
    Diana--Thanks, wow, this is so interesting. I've never heard of cluttering, either, in regards to speech. I will definitely research it.

I can relate to much of what you wrote about your daughter. I often feel that something is going on with DS8 that I haven't discovered yet, if that makes sense. I don't even know how to describe it. I don't know if it's just giftededness or gifted + ADD, or both of those plus something else.... I guess it's like your sense of a "subtle learning difference" with your daughter and not knowing what it is. I would feel silly bringing it up with anyone at school because, like your daughter, DS is a very successful student.

Thanks again for your input.

GG

GG - it's excellent that your son is savy enough to save it for home at such a young age! Score points for social skills!

Also my heart goes out to you in the "does he or doesn't he" have subtle learning differences. It's tough to be so unsure in the backround. I haven't any words of wisdom, just sympathy.

Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by Galaxy Girl
    I often feel that something is going on with DS8 that I haven't discovered yet, if that makes sense. I don't even know how to describe it. I don't know if it's just giftededness or gifted + ADD, or both of those plus something else.... I guess it's like your sense of a "subtle learning difference" with your daughter and not knowing what it is. I would feel silly bringing it up with anyone at school because, like your daughter, DS is a very successful student.

The first response of her MD and IQ tester is it looks like ADD. It's not that I am opposed to that label and meds, but rather than accepting the default DX, I wanted to rule out other possibilities. (The Conner's scale where she came out borderline with us was not enough "proof").

My concern when she was in first grade was that we couldn't determine if this would be a problem for her because the bar was so low that her performance on grade level academics was not a valid predictor of future preformance (when she met a challenge). Also, we were told by a non-district professional that gifted kids with LD usually did well (based on prior knowledge and compensation) until 4th, 5th,or 6th grade. Now that she has passed those grades without problems, I am more relaxed. Still a bit concerned about high school in two years though!

W
    OP Offline
    W
    Sorry to interupt the flow of conversation, but I wanted to update you regarding Mite and the keyboard.

You may recall last week I was under the impression they were going to provide Mite a keyboard for classroom usage.

Well, I just received an email from the AT person who assessed Mite last week and she says that while he has improved in keyboarding skills, she still does not feel his speed is sufficient for classroom work.

ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGH!!! This is the same person who at the IEP meetins always chants the "least restrictive environment" mantra. I truly feel her "assessment" held a strong "anti-accomodation" bias.

Gosh it feels like we inch forward then plummet backward. How can she see what he wrote last week on the keyboard? Why does she want to limit him to drabble and scribble when he's capable of diamonds and gold?

What to do now?

ok Wadafite....breathe breathe GASP!!!:^)

Willa Gayle
    D
    D
    At community college, anyone receiving accomodations such as scribing, having tests read to them, or using alternate input devices, receives time and a half on quizzes, exams, etc. So, if DS13 takes a quiz in the DSPS office with a scribe and the rest of the class is allowed 30 minutes for the quiz, then he is allowed 45 minutes.

Also, DS13 is not proficient enough at keyboarding to accomdate himself yet. Therefore, he receives notes from other students and uses a scribe for exams rather than a computer. Eventually, he will need to increase his keyboard speed so he can accomplish most of these things on his own. It is funny that in K-12 they discourage using computers to take notes in the classroom, but in college you see a lot of that. One of DS13's scribes in Cultural Anthropology used to take notes on her laptop in class and then e-mail them to him immediately after class. They were the most comprehensive notes he has received.

David E.

W
    OP Offline
    W
    They don't want to provide a scribe in classroom. He does get a scribe for one assignment "at the teacher's discretion" (though I haven't signed that yet, btw). Of course, the teacher's discretion means minimal scribing. She doesn't think it is necessary because she "can read his writing".

This is 3rd grade, gifted cluster, so there isn't much to be had notes wise. They are supposed to send homework home for the extended time, but that is not happening. They won't scribe for mathematics, either.

Really 3rd grade gifted cluster is way below his ability and they aren't even allowing him to perform at this level.

I'm beginning to think ***I*** might have to provide his scribing services and be a constant presence in the classroom.

that outta make em shudder in their pumps!!!

One way or the other I'm getting ready for another IEP meeting and this time I won't be fooled by "nice". This is so ridiculous. How can he improve in typing his thoughts if he's not given a chance to actually compose those thoughts on a regular basis?

Does any one here use keyboard in the classroom for the kid and have success? What is the typing speed? How did you get it into the classroom?

breathe breathe breathe

Willa Gayle
    Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM