Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 7 of 16 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 15 16
    F
    F
    I had a teacher that took points away for stapling incorrectly.. in the early 70's!

22B Offline
    Originally Posted by frannieandejsmom
    I had a teacher that took points away for stapling incorrectly.. in the early 70's!

Maybe it's the same teacher.

M
    M
    Seriously? No words!

Originally Posted by madeinuk
    LOL - how many minutes of arc tolerance does the battleaxe allow on the stapling?

ROFL.

Yikes, Val.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Dear god. What a waste of everyone's time!

~amy
    A
    A
    Val, your edit reason says it all. Nobody could make up stuff that ridiculous! Sounds like my MIL...

What is to give light must endure burning.
    Originally Posted by Val
    Update.

The good news: DD will be in the accelerated group. The meeting last Thursday was postponed. It will take place tomorrow, and the principal may attend.

The bad news: The kids have to staple their homework assignments "diagonally" in the top left corner. If they don't staple the right way, they will lose points.

Oh dear. You people could be forgiven for thinking that I am making this up, but I promise you, I could not make this stuff up.

This is vocational preparation for working in law firms for difficult partners.

In some cases, improperly stapled or affixed documents will cause you significant career distress and could result in your termination if the partner is having a bad day.

N
    N
    I always advise my kids to staple on a 45 degree diagonal. This results in the least stress and thus minimizes the chances of the paper ripping.

I had a professor who deducted points for horizontal/vertical stapling. Since some kids didn't follow his reasoning, he spent an entire lecture proving his point. Since then, I have always stapled at an angle.

A
    A
    May I suggest a red Swingline stapler as her end of year gift?

What is to give light must endure burning.
    Originally Posted by NotSoGifted
    I always advise my kids to staple on a 45 degree diagonal. This results in the least stress and thus minimizes the chances of the paper ripping.

I had a professor who deducted points for horizontal/vertical stapling. Since some kids didn't follow his reasoning, he spent an entire lecture proving his point. Since then, I have always stapled at an angle.

Some people, however, prefer the vertical or horizontal affixation for purely aesthetic reasons or to make sure that the reader's attention is purely on the text of the document.

They may not like the jarring visual discontinuity that results from the crisp white (or slightly off-white) right angle of the corner of the paper is juxtaposed against a free floating staple that forms a somewhat incomplete triangle.

Instead of their eyes being drawn either to the right, in the case of a horizontal staple, or downward, in the case of a vertical staple, the author of the document may be terrified that the reader of the document may find their eyes drawn to the subtle optical illusion of the triangle.

In addition, when such documents are reviewed, instead of the reader turning the page, in the case of a vertical staple, or flipping the page upward, in the case of a horizontal stable, the pages joined by a diagonal staple awkwardly pulls the readers attention to the off-angle.

If the document is provided to a member of the judiciary who is troubled by such a disruption in their normal way or reviewing documents, or counter to the express rules of document preparation, they may find that their entire argument is rejected due to the stress of the (ostensibly insignificant) violation of the rules.

Last edited by JonLaw; 09/16/13 08:13 PM. Reason: I spelled staple as stable, which is not necessarily the wrong word given this particular topic. However, given the need for linguistic precision, I have corrected my unintentional error.
    Page 7 of 16 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 15 16

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM