Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 293 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    Welcome!

I'm with acs. I'd avoid meds until you're SURE this isn't GT boredom. It seems like a much more probable cause given those scores.

Of course, it could be both HG+ and ADHD, but I wouldn't want to treat for ADHD without being 100% sure.

Dottie is our resident score fanatic. If she can't help you, I doubt anyone can! smile

Kriston
    acs Offline
    I just found this article which looks interesting (but I haven't actually read it yet!)

http://borntoexplore.org/gifted.htm

On the left of that page is an ad for: The Edison Trait, saving the spirit of a noncomforming child in a conforming world.
    I gotta get my hands on that one!

O
    OP Offline
    O
    Originally Posted by acs
    I just found this article which looks interesting (but I haven't actually read it yet!)

http://borntoexplore.org/gifted.htm

Thanks for this helpful link! One of my "GT knowledgeable" friends suggested that DD may be visual/spatial.

Karen

DD5 is too! Her handwriting is terrible! She does have trouble paying attention to auditory sequential type learning environment.
    We actually brought her in for ADHD testing originally and we were told she does not have ADHD.

O
    OP Offline
    O
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    Can you ask further about what types of mistakes were made in these subtests? Also the written expression is low. Were there numerous mistakes made? Or did she only get "so far"? What types of mistakes were made? I realize you probably don't have these answers, but those are the questions I would be interested in.

Thanks for the welcome and for your reply!

This is all that I have as for descriptions of her work -- on the WISC-IV:

"When administering the Digit Span subtest, N asked the examiner to read the numbers faster, reporting that the numbers 'go in one ear, and then go flopping out into the river.'"

On the WIAT-II, Written Language:

'N occasionally made changes to sentences after writing them, realizing that she forgot parts that she intended to write. She frequently stated, "Sorry my handwriting is so messy." No learning disabilities were revealed."'

I plan to bring these questions up at the 504 plan meeting -- might as well make use of the school psychologists while they are there!

Karen

O
    OP Offline
    O
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    I think you'd get a lot out of the book called The Mislabeled Child. It covers all sorts of possible diagnoses for your child. That's an interesting and insightful comment about the numbers "flopping out into the river".

FWIW, my daughter was identified as having a learning disability with a similar spread in scores (nothing below "average"). Some schools/psychs won't consider LD's without really tanker low scores, but in gifted children....you typically see compensation techniques at play.

Thanks for the book reference! I'll add it to my library queue.

Hi OrangeFish,
    My son, now 11, also has similar profile. Elementary school was really tough for him. Hard to know if he actually has 'biological ADHD' or if he was trained to not focus due to hours and hours underplaced, or his he doesn have a focus problem at all, only a going along with other people's agenda problem.

Question - does she know how to type?
    What does she like to do for fun?
    Does she (LOL) hyperfocus?

If you haven't already, please do some afterschooling with her and see where her readiness level is. 19 comprehension scores mean that almost 99.9% of school CAN'T enrich enough no matter what they offer in Gifted Program.

More Later,
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    19 comprehension scores mean that almost 99.9% of school CAN'T enrich enough no matter what they offer in Gifted Program.

Grinity, can you please explain what you mean by the above statement?

Thanks,
    dazed

O
    OP Offline
    O
    Originally Posted by Dazed&Confuzed
    Originally Posted by Grinity
    19 comprehension scores mean that almost 99.9% of school CAN'T enrich enough no matter what they offer in Gifted Program.

Grinity, can you please explain what you mean by the above statement?

Thanks,
    dazed

Not Grinity, but I believe the point is that such a score is so high (ceilinged out) that it's tough to address in most GT programs. Unfortunately for me I can't home school, so we have to do what we can with after-schooling, which will be a challenge on its own with my work hours. We may also have to consider private school.

Needless to say this is not something I would have thought I'd have to consider at the end of 1st Grade.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM