Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
    D
    D
    Oh my!

I am going to get into such trouble with our daughter's teacher! DD's gonna love the 'Austrian' approach to subtraction and I can already tell it will be much faster for her. I already put the kibosh when my DD came home with the 'alternative' multiplication methods and very politely told the teacher, "No way... not in OUR house!" So I just know this will warm the teacher's heart like nothing else.

Thanks 22B!

Being offended is a natural consequence of leaving the house. - Fran Lebowitz
    D
    D
    BTW & FWIW, I thought the video from the dePaul School was the best:

The narration on most of the others made me want to poke myself in the eye, although the scribble fit at the end of one did make me giggle...

N
    N
    Sorry, I hadn't been to that thread. Thanks for the links.

I look at that method and it seems totally counterintuitive. I guess I've never had any trouble with place values and borrowing and all that. It's perfectly clear to me why you take one away from the next place to add ten to the one that needs it. It's not at all clear to me why you would add ten to the one that needs it and then add something to something else. I can see that it does the same thing, but I can't see it being at all easy to explain to someone who doesn't know how to subtract. Am I missing something?

22B Offline
    Originally Posted by Nautigal
    Sorry, I hadn't been to that thread. Thanks for the links.

I look at that method and it seems totally counterintuitive. I guess I've never had any trouble with place values and borrowing and all that. It's perfectly clear to me why you take one away from the next place to add ten to the one that needs it. It's not at all clear to me why you would add ten to the one that needs it and then add something to something else. I can see that it does the same thing, but I can't see it being at all easy to explain to someone who doesn't know how to subtract. Am I missing something?

In the American method you may have to reach way over to the left to "borrow across zeroes. It's totally unnecessary. The American method makes multidigit subtraction look ten times harder than it really is.

D
    D
    I went through the method with my son first. He has no trouble with subtraction, but appreciated the simplified notation. He pointed out that it would be especially helpful with long division where the solution trailing downward turns into a rat's nest with any of the regrouping nonsense.

D
    D
    My sincere apologies to the OP for my part in the thread-jack.

S
    OP Offline
    S
    Originally Posted by Dandy

No apologies necessary. It's been interesting to read what you have been writing about.

Even though I am somewhat pleased that my son is being accelerated to the right grade in math, for now, he is still going to have to sit through the nonsense of having to perform multiple methods to solve a particular problem. Sometimes I wonder if we shouldn't have pursued the acceleration at all - just so that we could avoid this horrible everyday math.

N
    N

Oops. blush

P
    P
    Originally Posted by somewhereonearth

No apologies necessary. It's been interesting to read what you have been writing about.

Even though I am somewhat pleased that my son is being accelerated to the right grade in math, for now, he is still going to have to sit through the nonsense of having to perform multiple methods to solve a particular problem. Sometimes I wonder if we shouldn't have pursued the acceleration at all - just so that we could avoid this horrible everyday math.

Sorry we did get off track. Think of the acceleration as shortening his time with everyday math?

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by somewhereonearth
    Sometimes I wonder if we shouldn't have pursued the acceleration at all - just so that we could avoid this horrible everyday math.

Hmm.

It's just occurred to me to wonder if Everyday Math and Discovery Math and other reform curricula are aligned with the Common Core. I suspect not. But they will do probably change the font in their books and claim that they are.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM