Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    G
    G
    Originally Posted by willagayle
    I speak very very quickly.
    So quickly I am often asked to "slow down".
    The principal at Mite's school often asks me to slow down because he can't understand me.

After a car accident in Sept. I started stuttering and having difficulty with word retrieval.

Could these be symptoms of cluttering?

Okay, Fite, keeping in mind that everything I know about this I learned in the past two days, the answer is Yes, these are all symptoms of Cluttering--except the Stuttering. Stuttering and Cluttering are different; stuttering is a speech disorder, and cluttering is a language disorder--it has to do with the ability to organize language. (But, what you call stuttering might actually be cluttering. Confused yet? LOL Tell us how what you call stuttering manifests and I can tell you more.)

A problem with *rate of speech* is a key defining factor in diagnosis. Which means, the speech is too fast, or too "choppy," or both -- which makes it sound disfluent.

I have tons of information I've been compiling and would be happy to email if you want it. Meanwhile...

Here is some info from the ASHA:

"The definition of cluttering adopted by the fluency disorders division of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association says cluttering is a fluency disorder characterized by a rapid and/or irregular speaking rate, excessive disfluencies and often other symptoms such as language or phonological errors and attention deficits.

Evidence for a fluency disorder �one that is not stuttering� and excessive disfluencies, would be present in a speaker who meets all of the following:

Does not sound "fluent," that is, does not seem to be clear about what he or she wants to say or how to say it;
    Has excessive levels of "normal disfluencies," such as interjections and revisions;
    Has little or no apparent physical struggle in speaking;
    Has few if any accessory (secondary) behaviors.

A rapid and/or irregular speaking rate would be present in a speaker who has any or all of the following:

Talks "too fast" based on an overall impression or actual syllable per minute counts;
    Sounds "jerky";
    Has pauses that are too short, too long or improperly placed.

These fluency and rate deviations are the essential symptoms of cluttering.

In addition, however, there are a number of symptoms suggested in the latter part of the above definition that may or may not be present, but add support to the impression that a person is cluttering. Accordingly, the clinical picture of a typical cluttering problem would be enhanced if the person in question had any of the following:

Confusing, disorganized language or conversational skills;
    Limited awareness of his or her fluency and rate problems;
    Temporary improvement when asked to "slow down" or "pay attention" to speech;
    Mispronunciation or slurrring of speech sounds or deleting non-stressed syllables in longer words (e.g., "ferchly" for "fortunately");
    Speech that is difficult to understand;
    Several blood relatives who stutter or clutter;
    Social or vocational problems resulting from cluttering symptoms;
    Learning disability not related to reduced intelligence;
    Sloppy handwriting;
    Distractibility, hyperactivity or a limited attention span;
    Auditory perceptual difficulties."

Hope this helps!
    GG

Last edited by Galaxy Girl; 01/30/07 06:58 PM.
    G
    G
    P.S. to Fite: I should add that I read a person can have both cluttering and stuttering. But then I read other things saying they are very different. I found a chart that compared the differences between the two. I can email that to you if you want. Or maybe I'll try to post it in the Clutterers thread I just started.

Also interesting to me, since at times I've wondered "ADD?" about DS8, was to read that there is a link between cluttering and ADD. Not that all Clutterers have ADD but there is often an overlap of symptoms, or a tendency to mistake Cluttering symptoms as ADD. Of course, a person can have both disorders. Cluttering has a lot to do with (in)ability to organize--so does ADD. I read that clutterers tend to be capable of macro-organizing (setting up big systems, abstract thought, connecting seemingly unrelated things) but very bad at micro-organizing (following or maintaining organized systems day to day, attention to details, etc.).

Other tidbits:
    Clutters tend to be visual-spatial/wholistic thinkers (goes with the macro-organizing, the abstract thought); have trouble with sequential recall; trouble with word retrieval; above-average intelligence; excel in math and abstract sciences; have sloppy handwriting; messy bedrooms (that's the "bad at micro-organizing" part); and often little to no awareness of their disorder.

W
    OP Offline
    W
    Well, I hit on a few of those things. Rite is a fast talker, but very clear and articulate. He meets all the criteri(a? on?) above.

Something else to ponder.

Willa Gayle
    W
    OP Offline
    W
    an update....with medication to calm my nervous system I've stopped stuttering!! please note the stuttering was only after the car accident. my doc thinks it was from the pressure on my spinal cord and brain stem due to injury from the accident. one way or the other, I'm so glad to talking like my old fast talking self!!! :^)

I do talk very rapidly, but people say usually I am very articulate and they understand what I'm saying but have a hard time keeping up with the idea flow.

so, I'm wondering, since I type so fast (90 wpm), do you guys have trouble keeping up with my idea flow in my posts?? ;^()!!

Willa Gayle
    LOL- WG!
    We read you loud and clear! It helps to have listeners who have some kind of frame of reference, no?

So glad you are speaking freely again! and Happy Mother's Day!

Trin

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM