Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 204 of 268 1 2 202 203 204 205 206 267 268
    E
    E
    DD loves her kindergarten! And, we do too. It is challenging her in just the right ways.

Update: summer reading clubs. She is down to reading about 1.5 hours a day since school started. Over the summer I'd say her reading level has improved a few levels. (At the beginning of summer she was reading rainbow magic.) She is currently reading the Wrinkle in Time series with DH, and in the middle of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory after only two nights of independent reading. I think that is about a mid fourth grade level. For some reason we are still surprised by her comprehension. She correctly predicted the end of A Wrinkle in Time, unprompted, and she is still remembering more details than DH.

We were worried about summer reading clubs messing with her motivation and love of reading, and it just did not happen. Phew.

A
    A
    These are great stories, folks! Keep them coming!

What is to give light must endure burning.
    M
    M
    I fell asleep reading Charlotte's Web to DD last night and we were at the very beginning of Wilbur's attempted escape. She woke me up apparently about 15 minutes later and said with tears in her eyes, "Mommy, Wilbur didn't make it. I wanted him to go back to Fern and live happily ever after." We're putting the book away for now. She sees Wilbur as Fern's baby and their separation is giving her nightmares.

On her ballet front, both her teacher and I told her that she'd be able to skip in a year or so (or later) and it's okay that she cannot skip for now. Well, she decided that that won't do and willed herself to learn to skip over the weekend. She asked me to talk her through the process. She thought about it, practiced it for a few minutes, then she was skipping.

Why is it that everything she does makes me happy and worried at the same time?

D
    D
    that's awesome about the skipping, Mana! it's amazing how it's possible for kids to mentally break down physical skills like that - DD5's dance teacher has always said that's where talent really lives - in their minds. congratulations to your DD!

and my thing today is that DD5 just drew a very realistic sketch of her stuffed rabbit sitting on a fully 3-dimensional chair. my jaw literally dropped when she brought it in - the legs even show perspective and depth and sit in front of a horizon line! it's especially cool because she has spontaneously implemented our homeschool exploration of 3D shapes directly into her artwork without a single prompt from me. woot!

Every Sunday it brooded and lay on the floor. Inconveniently close to the drawing-room door.
    C
    C
    My DD10 came home with her 6th grade midquarter grades (after skipping 5th). I suppose the school can stop being worried about if she will be able to handle the jump. Her lowest average was a 95.9 in handwriting and her next lowest was a 98 in Grammar. She had the highest grades in the class.

22B Offline
    Originally Posted by Mana
    On her ballet front, both her teacher and I told her that she'd be able to skip in a year or so (or later) and it's okay that she cannot skip for now. Well, she decided that that won't do and willed herself to learn to skip over the weekend. She asked me to talk her through the process. She thought about it, practiced it for a few minutes, then she was skipping.

It's a pity that so many schools won't allow kids to skip even when it would clearly be beneficial.

A
    A
    Originally Posted by drtrum
    My DD10 came home with her 6th grade midquarter grades (after skipping 5th). I suppose the school can stop being worried about if she will be able to handle the jump. Her lowest average was a 95.9 in handwriting and her next lowest was a 98 in Grammar. She had the highest grades in the class.

Fabulous! Talk about a smooth integration.

A
    A
    Mana, I think your daughter's determination is terrific.

Doubtfulguest, isn't it neat how your daughter absorbed your lessons by osmosis? If art becomes a passion of hers, I hope you'll treat us to a sample picture down the road. I'd enjoy seeing something from her perspective.

D
    D
    ha - i think "perspective" is the operative word, here, aquinas!

i'm not sure DD really has any particular artistic talent - her command of the pencil is pretty typical for her age, i think. but that said, her artwork has had some odd quirks pretty much from the get-go: for instance, she never, ever drew that line kids put at the top of pictures for the sky - her skies were always filled in down to the ground. she's always depicted background objects smaller than foreground ones. when she draws pictures of people from a bird's eye view - their bodies are foreshortened.

but all of these things feel like they're related to observation (and math?), rather than actual artistic ability, you know? i'd love to start an art thread - to hear all the other stories like this.

so here's the rabbit - you can just see the places where DD has erased the cube she drew to plan the seat and the back of the chair. it's kind of neat!
    [Linked Image from s15.postimg.org]

Every Sunday it brooded and lay on the floor. Inconveniently close to the drawing-room door.
    A
    A
    Doubtfulguest, thanks so much for sharing your DD's picture! That kind of perspective (ha!) is really unusual at her age. She's obviously a perceptive girl. I agree that the picture probably belies her math savvy. The chair is so realistically positioned, and her rabbit looks quite charmed to have his portrait drawn.

You definitely should start that thread!

FYI, just want to confirm that you're OK with your DD's name (or her rabbit's) on the file.

Page 204 of 268 1 2 202 203 204 205 206 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM