Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 591 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 203 of 268 1 2 201 202 203 204 205 267 268
    M
    M
    Love the trainingwheels story doubtfulguest! I am Bonaire how accurate my memory is, but I seem to recall being so scared to give up trainingwheels because bike riding with them was so hard - and then to find leaning without them so much easier once pushed to give them up...

L
    L
    LOL. My DS4.5 was the same way with training wheels. He'd been begging all summer for us to take them off and I finally did on his smaller bike (He has a bigger one where he can't quite touch the ground). He was riding within the day. The same day, he also swam across the pool without his floatie.

We went to a park with good bike riding areas, along with some other homeschoolers and there was a "bump trail" (small hills, similar to what you'd see a bmx racer riding on, but much smaller.). I thought it would be a bit of a challenge for him and it was slow going the first time or two around, but once the bigger kids got out of the way and he had the track to himself, he was cruisin around it. In all honesty, his small bike is holding him back in this case...

W00T!! Last night, DD8 declared her intentions to launch the conquest of my bookshelf!

It had become quite disorganized, so together we pulled everything out and sorted by author. As we did so, I pointed out various things she might be interested in that were age-appropriate. She said she would like something funny, so I pointed at the huge stack of Terry Pratchett works, and described the nonsensical impossibility of the Discworld. She decided that was a good place to start.

Other comments she made during this conversation:

- Books are her favorite media, trumping movies, video games, etc.
    - Her G/T class was offered the option of working on a particular problem, or free reading. She was the only one who chose reading.
    - This prompted her friend to say something to the effect of, "You're weird. You read more than anyone else I've ever seen." DD did not take it as an insult.

Also, DD8 is currently reading Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets from the school library, despite the fact we have the full series at home. This is because, during free reading at school, she's only allowed to read school library books, not books brought from home. She had recently started the series over again, because she has yet to read the whole thing from start to finish, and wanted to give it another go.

What was brag-worthy about this, though, is that DD has a new school librarian who tried to block her access to it, as they've rated 6th-grade level (she's in 4th), and DD successfully self-advocated with the librarian to get it.

E
    E
    Good job, Dude's DD!

Which PTerry is she starting with? I love the witch books, either Wee Free Men or Equal Rites as a starting point. (I realize that the question of which book to read first is practically a religious matter in some areas of fandom, and I promise not to try to change your mind if it is for you, too.)

U
    U
    Will she be allowed to read what she wants from now on? I can't believe they're still policing at that age. DD9 was never limited in any way (she started at this school in second). That reminds me, though--I need to see if they're limiting DS5. K could very well be different.

Originally Posted by ElizabethN
    Good job, Dude's DD!

Which PTerry is she starting with? I love the witch books, either Wee Free Men or Equal Rites as a starting point. (I realize that the question of which book to read first is practically a religious matter in some areas of fandom, and I promise not to try to change your mind if it is for you, too.)

LOL... it's funny that you use the word "religious" there, as I decided to plunge into the series when "Small Gods" caught my attention, and I'd probably commend it to DD as a good place to start.

But it's not really important to me where she starts. I have yet to organize them sequentially, but will do so tonight, and then I'll let DD know she can start anywhere she likes.

She'll likely be a while, though, as she's currently dedicated to that HP task, and she doesn't like mixing reading projects.

Originally Posted by ultramarina
    Will she be allowed to read what she wants from now on? I can't believe they're still policing at that age. DD9 was never limited in any way (she started at this school in second). That reminds me, though--I need to see if they're limiting DS5. K could very well be different.

Ditto. It seems foolish to me to police a child's access to any reading material for reasons other than violence or adult content. I've had this conversation with DD's school before.

E
    E
    Small Gods was actually the first one I read all the way through, too, but it didn't really grab me like the witch books did. (There was no Tiffany Aching back then, sad to say.) I also really enjoyed the Guards books, and I had a friend who loved Moving Pictures as a jumping-off point.

She can start anywhere she likes, but I'd strongly recommend against starting with The Light Fantastic (I read the first two chapters or so in high school, and abandoned it because it made no sense). It was much later that I learned that it was the second book in a two-part novel, and also that the later Discworld books were more developed and better.

It does seem crazy to tell kids they can't read books they brought from home, and doubly so if they are books that are in the school library.

U
    U
    I don't make a fuss about much, but this would justify making a fuss for me (and in fact, I do plan to make a stink if DS5 is being relegated to K books...fortunately, I know his teacher has my back). Free reading is free reading, or it should be. Ergh.

Page 203 of 268 1 2 201 202 203 204 205 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM