Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    OP Offline
    DD9 (4th grade) needs a better spelling curriculum. She is a natural speller and has always been accelerated in spelling. Our district has gone completely digital with Pearson products this year and with all the changes going on in the school they haven't had a chance to get her spelling accelerated yet.

I would like to find something (fairly inexpensive) we can offer the school in place of what they are doing, to 1. try to be helpful and 2. get something in place before DD pulls her hair out having to write won't and don't 10 times each every week.

Does anyone know of a more advanced spelling curriculum, that might include workbooks or something online, so DD has something to do while the other students are writing their words 10 times?

H
    H
    My 5th grade class did this with the top learners. We had a vocabulary book with large, novel words. It had different exercises to learn the words and then our spelling test would be those words. I really enjoyed it.

U
    U
    DD9 (4th) has no spelling at all this year--they are doing vocabulary instead. I'm very pleased! She is at a GT magnet school.

OP Offline
    Thanks for the suggestions!

I posted on here not too long ago about vocab and I was sort of leaning toward something where we could incorporate both spelling and vocab, so I like that idea.

I found a series on Amazon that is "Vocabulary for the Gifted Student" by Flash Kids. It claims to be 1 to 1 1/2 levels up from the listed grade level, but I don't see many reviews.

master of none - I just browsed "wordly wise" and the online part looks great! I'll have to look at the books when I have more time.

HappilyMom - did they just make up their own book or was this something they purchased?

H
    H
    It was a bound workbook and was absolutely my favorite part of 5th grade. No clue what it was called... that was 25+ yrs ago but it was one of the few challenging in a fun way things that I ever had in school.

E
    E
    DD9 is doing Wordly Wise in school and likes it. I thought the packets that she's brought home so far were well-constructed and interesting. She asked me a bunch of questions about Rosa Parks while she was doing it.

S
    S
    I used wordly wise in 2006-2008 for my son. I loved all the activities. I assume they have revised it by now but if they keep their same philosophy then it will still be a quality program for vocabulary and there is no reason why those words can't be spelling words (but they won't form a phonetic pattern the words are grouped because they go in a particular article/story).

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM