Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 99 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 80 of 131 1 2 78 79 80 81 82 130 131
    C
    C
    My kids are also exquisitely sensitive to taste, texture, and temperature. Both refused to have pizza with tomato sauce for a number of years (DS6 still does sometimes), which meant cheese-only (no other toppings allowed, of course). DD10 has just started experimenting with mushrooms on her pizza, but this is a recent development.

Also, hot-chocolate is really luke-warm chocolate. LOL

DS has finally discovered he likes certain salad dressings, so hoping for more vegetable-eating around here. DD still will only eat veggies if she can slather them in peanut butter (which - ugh, but at least nutritious...)

N
    N
    in an attempt to get DD2 to let me go one morning so I could wash up, DH said "Mama is all sweaty so she needs to take a shower right now". Fatal mistake - now, if I show up in workout clothes, she will squeal "no, Mama! take a shower! you are all sweaty!" and runs to DH but often refuses to cooperate with DH for some things and will wait until I am all cleaned up and available. I wonder how long it will be before this phases out.

Originally Posted by notnafnaf
    in an attempt to get DD2 to let me go one morning so I could wash up, DH said "Mama is all sweaty so she needs to take a shower right now". Fatal mistake - now, if I show up in workout clothes, she will squeal "no, Mama! take a shower! you are all sweaty!" and runs to DH but often refuses to cooperate with DH for some things and will wait until I am all cleaned up and available. I wonder how long it will be before this phases out.

You could always press the issue... TICKLE FIGHT!

But then you get a kid who says "you're stinky" whenever they want to play.

E
    E
    Originally Posted by aeh
    And I am still being reminded every time we cut our fingernails of the time I accidentally nicked a little finger, resulting in literally a tiny red dot--not even a full drop--of blood showing up. This happened at least six months ago. Forgiven, but not forgotten!

Count yourself lucky. I am still hearing about the time I made DS6 take a bite of meatloaf (which he had loved up to about a month before the incident) and he "threw up." (I think he didn't actually swallow it all he way and then coughed it up.) I think it's been about a year and a half now.

M
    M
    I pinched DD once while putting a helmet on her, 2 years ago. From that day on, I have to reassure her for good 5 minutes that I am not going to do it again.

DD is such an expensive child to feed. Once she finds a version of a dish she likes, that's it and almost always, it's the most expensive option. It's getting to the point where I have to think very carefully about not letting her try something if we can't afford it on a regular basis.

C
    C
    In daycare my ds only ate two things. We did the whole "he will eat when he's hungry" thing but nope he went without eating for almost three days. After the hospital visit since he just about passed out we were told give him what he will eat. Stubborn lil dude almost got us in trouble!

A
    A
    The horrors of not eating! I'm convinced that's something parents never get over. A child refusing to eat anything except breastmilk until after 2? *Raises hand* shocked

What is to give light must endure burning.
    C
    C
    Oh yes! Daycare! - DD was still nursing a lot and not eating many solids when she started daycare at 11 mos. Also refused to drink breastmilk from a bottle! For some reason my in-laws still have one of her first daily reports from daycare pinned to their fridge - it says she ate ~2 tsp of rice cereal. I still laugh (well, cry) when I see it.

She did get better eating at daycare but mostly waited until I picked her up to nurse. Somehow, I did manage to wean her at just over 2 yrs...

And yes, she's stubborn. I've no doubt that we would also end up at the hospital if we tried to play "you will eat what we serve".

Out of necessity I've developed a more relaxed attitude to what she eats - I offer a meal, she eats it (or not) and if not gets herself something else.

C
    C
    That's what we do now and thankfully the school knows if he buys something he likes and wants three then he can have it lol. We don't say no to food in our house lol. Thankfully he's healthy just a bit thin but not too bad.

Our experience was not quite like this, because DD swiped a pear DW was sure was out of her reach when she was just a few months old. I'm not sure how to describe the intensity DD displayed over her enjoyment of her first taste of food, but she was making animal sounds that suggested taking it away would be a bad idea. Months later, DW started cooking school, and DD would greet DW at the door with, "Mama... NUM NUM!!", because it didn't take DD long to recognize that DW always came home with interesting food. DW began making her own baby food, and "baby food" became things with risotto, polenta, and other words I didn't understand.

Later things became more routine, and DD suddenly decided she was a picky eater, so we went through all the normal food issues anyway.

Page 80 of 131 1 2 78 79 80 81 82 130 131

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Detracking
    by indigo - 03/16/24 08:23 PM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by lll - 03/07/24 06:51 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by lll - 03/03/24 10:14 AM
    Patents and Trademarks and Rights, oh my...!
    by indigo - 03/02/24 01:03 PM
    529 savings for private high school?
    by lululo4321 - 02/27/24 05:28 PM