Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 99 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 29 of 131 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 130 131
    D
    D
    hee - got a new one from last night - again, about the transition to homeschooling.

DD5: homeschooling is different than i thought it would be.
    Me: oh? in what way?
    DD5: well, i THOUGHT it would be more about MASTERY - i mean, most of the work is new and i like that a lot - but think i'm really only scratching the surface here.

so... 3 days into a triple-grade skip, all she can think about is how much more depth she actually needs. i mean, she's right - but it's kind of freaking me out! smile

Every Sunday it brooded and lay on the floor. Inconveniently close to the drawing-room door.
    OP Offline
    ROFL!!

I have one that is a bit related...

DD14, in looking at the newspaper headline, in which the NCLB report card from the past year was reported... (You know, the year in which apparently some 40% of high school juniors can't write a coherent essay well enough to PASS the test, and that's really saying something, given what evidently constitutes a "passing" performance):

"Whoa.... do you hear that WHISTLING noise??

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEE....

It's-- it's-- it's our state's literacy rate, hitting terminal velocity!!"

She reads:
    "Nancy Golden, Oregon's interim chief education officer who was superintendent of Springfield schools until June, said years of flat or diminished school funding took a toll. Districts clipped days off the school year, cut teaching positions and delayed buying new teaching materials.

"When you take furlough days, significant amounts of them, and bigger class sizes, that can definitely have an impact on learning," she said.

Oregon schools chief Rob Saxton said the broad decline in passing rates may primarily reflect that students took state tests fewer times, not that schools taught them less. "

And then snarkily adds;

"Well, I'm sure that investing in iPads will fix those problems. Let's hope that the state administrators acquire better grammar and usage, too. I'm not sure we can really do much about the inability to distinguish fantasy and reality, unfortunately." smirk

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    L
    L
    Dd4 prefaced the question with," I am a science girl so I have lots of science questions. Here is one you may not know the answer to." Then went on to ask," is the cloud heavier than gravity?" When I said I didn't think so she continued," then how does it stay up in the sky? Why can't gravity pull it down?" She was right I do not know the answer.

M
    M
    This isn't exactly anecdotal, but I do have an off-the-wall request. Dd asked to see a picture of a persons mouth and a video that shows how you swallow. How in depth should I seek for her?

G
    G
    Originally Posted by MbaMom
    This isn't exactly anecdotal, but I do have an off-the-wall request. Dd asked to see a picture of a persons mouth and a video that shows how you swallow. How in depth should I seek for her?

We watched one showing exactly this last week at the speech therapist's office. The videos do exist!

M
    M
    Thanks, geofizz! I will google this afternoon to see what I can find.

A
    A
    Originally Posted by Lovemydd
    Dd4 prefaced the question with," I am a science girl so I have lots of science questions. Here is one you may not know the answer to." Then went on to ask," is the cloud heavier than gravity?" When I said I didn't think so she continued," then how does it stay up in the sky? Why can't gravity pull it down?" She was right I do not know the answer.

I especially like the "I am a science girl" part.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    Quirky- ds 7 refused to wear shorts at the end of school because we hadn't yet reached the summer solstice.

OP Offline
    Love that. grin

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by MbaMom

ha - this brings back sweet memories. when DD was 2/3/4... all she wanted to do was watch surgery on YouTube. literally hours of transplants and cancer surgeries on things like eyeballs. this fascination lasted for years - to the point where she could literally talk through the steps of many surgeries. hope you found a fun video - it may be the first of many!!

Every Sunday it brooded and lay on the floor. Inconveniently close to the drawing-room door.
    Page 29 of 131 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 130 131

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Detracking
    by indigo - 03/16/24 08:23 PM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by lll - 03/07/24 06:51 PM
    Chicago suburbs - private VS public schools
    by lll - 03/03/24 10:14 AM
    Patents and Trademarks and Rights, oh my...!
    by indigo - 03/02/24 01:03 PM
    529 savings for private high school?
    by lululo4321 - 02/27/24 05:28 PM