Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 60 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    N
    N
    Back in my day you just did what the teacher told you and didn't question it. The problem is and I'm not accusing you of this is the parent always seems to take the kid's side. In regards to the writing my daughter is the same way.

Why I brought the Alebra is she's in 6th grade taking accelerated algebra. My point in that was not to brag but things for kids now change quicker than back in the "old days". Suffering through the busy work doesn't last forever.

nicoledad #169844 10/02/13 10:55 AM
    Val Offline
    Originally Posted by nicoledad
    Suffering through the busy work doesn't last forever.

I'm not so sure about that. My 10th grader gets his share of busy work.

... as does my HS senior.

Just ask her how she feels about "Life Management Skills" class (a graduation requirement that has resulted in some real gems down in the ultimate bad homework thread...)

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    nicoledad #169847 10/02/13 11:04 AM
    C
    OP Offline
    C
    Back in my day you just did what the teacher told you and didn't question it. The problem is and I'm not accusing you of this is the parent always seems to take the kid's side. In regards to the writing my daughter is the same way.

I am actually not taking sides, but rather, trying to think logically about the whole situation. My goal is to raise a thoughtful, free-thinking and logical child with the right respect for authority (rather than an automaton). Forgive me if that sounds harsh, but I have seen what happened when we cowtowed to a school/teacher, rather than paying attention to our child's learning needs.

BTW, I am old enough to have also done what teachers asked without question. That is, until middle school, when I had a teacher who thought showing Beatles movies for days on end (he was a big fan) without any lessons to be drawn from same made for a good social studies curriculum. That's the first time I rebelled, and also the first time my mother, a very intelligent former teacher not given to interfering, backed me up.

nicoledad #169850 10/02/13 11:10 AM
    N
    N
    Back in my day you just did what the teacher told you and didn't question it. The problem is and I'm not accusing you of this is the parent always seems to take the kid's side..... Suffering through the busy work doesn't last forever.

Oh, but it does. The busy work just gets ... busier. Like having to turn in an outline for a 40-pg research paper, when you're a person who doesn't outline. Doing the outline after the paper, just to have something to turn in, is busy work.

I come at these things from a different perspective, though, as my parents had no qualms about telling a teacher she (or he) was wrong, and proving it. They had no patience for idiocy in the schools. We used to have this form every year for some government thing involving kids on the nearby reservations, and my mother would write "None of your business" or "None of your d..n business" on it and send it back, un-filled-out. When a homework assignment was to watch the movie Sybil and do a report, my mother told the teacher he was going to have to find something else for me to do because we didn't have a TV. He said I could go to someone else's house. She told him just how ridiculous that was and that I was not going door to door asking to interrupt someone else's TV watching for a homework project. My mother would definitely have told someone where to stick all this "math mountain", "hundreds chart", "show your work" stuff. I'm getting to that point myself, having mercifully skipped most of it with DS and now only just getting rolling with DD.

On the other hand, about taking the kid's side, if my teacher sent home a report that I was messing around or something in class, my mother had no qualms about sticking that to me, either. My elementary school was mostly farm kids whose parents took education very seriously, and if you got in trouble at school, there would be worse trouble at home. But if school was the trouble, that was dealt with, too. That school is still number one in the district, with the next generation of the same families.

A
    A
    Nautigal - I just have to ask - how did your parents get away with this? And the next question - are you homeschooling?

Oh, I know the answer to that. I am just very matter of fact when I refuse to provide information.

"Why do you need to know that?"

"I'm not comfortable providing that information."

"Can you explain to me how this will be used to benefit my child's education?"

If you're both professional and no-nonsense, you find out that, why-- NO-- they DO NOT actually need things like your child's SS# or birth history.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM