Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 210 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    H
    OP Offline
    H
    I have an opportunity to suggest the accommodations for my child's first 504. He is 6 and in First Grade. He desperately needs work multiple grade-levels ahead and scores profoundly gifted (yet w a Processing Speed score 60pts below and Beery VMI of only 2nd percentile).

I know anything w/ pencil, coloring, or timed is a huge issue for him. We have some suggestions from OT and Behavioral Optometrist but won't have Neuro Psych report until after the 504 is in place (IEP will follow when Neuro Psych's report is received). Consideration may be given to multi-level acceleration if the powers that be will align but more support will be needed for disabilities should that occur.

His disabilities include:

ADHD
    Anxiety Disorder (generalized + elements of PTSD)
    Dysgraphia
    Dyspraxia
    Convergence Insufficiency
    Poor Eye Teaming
    Poor Focusing
    Ocular Motor Delays
    Sensory Issues: smells, noise, heat

It is a LOT to cover. Please share any details you can of what you have used or what you would ask for if you had a willing school.

I
    I
    Oh my son has just about all of these (though his eye issues have improved significantly) with the exception (for now) of ADHD and sensory issues. No wonder our kiddos have the same spread! We have an iep that I think is wonderful (if/when people follow it!) I will have it with me tomorrow and I will post some accommodations that my DS has. The dysgraphia is huge - having writing accommodations will help this kid immensely. My son's anxiety is all but GONE when his writing accommodations are provided. How old is your guy again? I hope we can remain on this board together a long time... so that we can bounce ideas off of each other and see what helps ect... because I get nervous about my son's future with the writing and visual-motor issues. I also recommend the book Understanding Developmental Dyspraxia by Portwood.

I
    I
    I just happened to have to write an email to my DS's teacher so I can cut and paste the scribing accommodations we have for him for you right now:

"Primary lined paper will be provided for journaling, Writers Workshop, and special area assignments that require more than 3 lines of writing... for assignments for writing assignments 3 lines or greater."

"On tasks of two lines or less, DS will be encouraged, but not required, to write independently... for writing assignments of two lines or less."

"For writing tasks three lines or longer, DS and a scribe may alternate writing 1-2 sentences each. Scribe will do all writing after Ben completes a maximum of 4 handwritten lines."

H
    OP Offline
    H
    Thank you Irena!! We should really talk sometime. Mine is 6. I think I remember yours being a little ahead of mine.

My son suggested 5 math problems or 20 letters as writing limits he could handle.

I have personally seen that the ADHD and Anxiety (which seem to be under control normally) get amped up in a huge way by the disabilities. It's all so interconnected.

S
    S
    How about....reduced number of problems on assignments (thinking math here but can apply to other things).

Modified assignments or alternate assignments....an example might be playing some sort of matching game with vocabulary flash cards with parent rather than writing definitions out.

In class work grade what he completes and count that...so if there are twenty questions and he gets five done grade him out of five. If you have questions about his ability to answer the other 15 have him complete them orally to a teacher assistant.

Parent allowed to scribe all homework or student able to type as appropriate.

Extended time and alternate testing answer recording methods. My husband as a teacher does this he has everyone take tests and quizzes written even if they have a 504 or IEP accommodation. Those who have accommodations who dont do well, he asks to come by at lunch or after school...then he chats with them about the stuff on the test, basically giving them an oral test. If they know their stuff he pulls out the test paper and documents...oral test administered and writes the new grade. Sometimes they don't even know they are getting an oral test. If they don't do well orally, he asks them to study again the topics and will retest orally in a few days.

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    K
    KJP Offline
    K
    Originally Posted by Sweetie
    My husband as a teacher does this he has everyone take tests and quizzes written even if they have a 504 or IEP accommodation. Those who have accommodations who dont do well, he asks to come by at lunch or after school...then he chats with them about the stuff on the test, basically giving them an oral test. If they know their stuff he pulls out the test paper and documents...oral test administered and writes the new grade. Sometimes they don't even know they are getting an oral test. If they don't do well orally, he asks them to study again the topics and will retest orally in a few days.

Why does he do it this way instead of doing the initial test with the accommodation?

P
    P
    Hi,

My DS6, also in 1st, has a huge spread also with a GAI of 160 but psi in the lower 90s. We are working towards some accomodations but it will take time. He does not have ADHD or specific visual issues, but is anxious and has some issues with social skills (though not qualifying for the triad of ASD).

We are going to first work on the developmental coordination disorder, the rest may be fine with that addressed. A 504 I'm guessing. I've read DCD accomodations can include organizational and planning help. For example having a cubby on the end to give more space to them while they are putting on their coat etc, and ease in finding it quickly.

Today DS came home with a writing worksheet where the teacher had written half of each of the sentences. She either started or finished the sentence. I suddenly felt more hopeful about the year as this is before any meeting to talk about accomodations. Also today was the first day since the year started when his behavior was acceptable.

One accomodation I haven't seen in a list but which I have been thinking of asking for when the time comes is that he be allowed to use solely the first letter of his name at the top of each worksheet (they do lots of worksheets and by the time he's written his name some of the kids are done the whole sheet). I should have named him something shorter smile Tom would be a good short name, the m is maybe a bit tricky: some of DSs m's come out as n's or w's, it varies. Definitely not Sam. Bob?

One I see in all the lists that I will definitely ask for is larger ruled paper, in 1st they appear to be going to use something that seems too small for him.

Our OT is supposed to be sending a list to me, I'll share if anything useful sounding shows up.

I would love to hear is how it goes over asking for a cap on number of letters or words per day. Is that something routinely granted? DS has done more already since school started than I thought possible (and many tears involved)... I'm concerned the school will say well look he's able to complete the assigned work up until now, why should we reduce the volume? How do you quantify the degree of discouragement and find an acceptable level (because there is no way around it, whenever he looks at a piece of paper he feels discouraged)... How do you pick the right number of letters or words they should have to write? If I asked DS he would say zero. And I'm personally torn as I can see the benefit in practice despite DS's unhappiness with it.

M
    M
    Dotted thirds paper helped my DD enormously with handwriting.

S
    S
    Someone asked why my husband does his testing this way...

Because he has 50 students and himself for each of his three periods...he can't possibly test all the ESE, 504 and esol students orally while trying to monitor 50 students. This way if they get any questions right he doesn't have to do them orally. Some students with accommodations do well and are happy with the Bs they get on the test and don't come in for the oral-he gives them the option.

He teaches drama. The PE coach has 100 students which is fine until someone gets hurt or there is a fight. The band teacher has like 60 in a beginning band class....he teaches percussion and they do something akin to stomp...using anything they can to beat the rhythm. I forget how many are in culinary arts class but it is ridiculous no one is going to have a chance to cook.

Last edited by Sweetie; 09/09/13 09:21 PM.

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    P
    P
    Sweetie, I'm guessing your dh is a middle school (or at least upper elementary school) teacher? If so, I'm surprised that there are still students who have oral response as an accommodation, unless they are students who can't use their hands at all (to type or handwrite). The goal our school district and our professionals (and myself) aim for with all students is the ability to *independently* produce their schoolwork without having to rely on accommodations like scribing - so in our district, students who can't rely on handwriting would move from scribing in early elementary to keyboarding by the time they are in 3rd/4th grade (if not earlier). I am guessing from what you wrote your dh would allow a student who has to keyboard to use their keyboarding accommodation - at least I hope he would! I totally understand the logistical challenges of teaching so many students and also having quite a few IEPs and 504s mixed in, but there are so many nuances of why it's important to follow those accommodations. For instance, writing by hand causes my ds actual, real live pain. If he was forced to use handwriting for a test, he'd be in pain not only during that test but for several hours after - which is going to potentially impact his ability to concentrate (and keyboard) in the classes that follow that test period. How does your dh decide who "didn't do well" on the test? If my ds has a 504 plan allowing keyboarding, and he misses one problem, while another student who has no 504 plan misses 10... how does your dh make the determination that my son missed that one point because he was using handwriting? The mistakes kids with dysgraphia make are not always blazingly obviously dysgraphic mistakes (reversals, copy errors etc) - sometimes they are mistakes due to working memory being so stuffed full with the act of generating letters non-automatically they can't recall info stored in memory. What is the student who is told they won't receive their accommodations going to think of what the teacher is doing? By the time most students are in middle school (and upper elementary) they are very aware of the extent of their challenges, as well as very aware that they have 504 plans or IEPs and that there are accommodations they are supposed to be receiving. My ds has lost respect for teachers who made it difficult for him to use his accommodations. And lastly, while it's wonderful that your dh is offering the students who should have had accommodations a chance to retake the test via oral response - what about the time lost for the student? When are they taking that extra test the second time around? During a time they are supposed to be in a study hall? During practice? Most student's days are jam-packed at school, and many of our kids with disabilities (and accommodations) are spending 2-3 times the amount of time on homework after school that there peers are. You mentioned some students are happy to take their "B" and don't bother coming back to retake the test - how does your dh know they are happy about the B? What about a student who really does care but also gives up in the face of feeling that a teacher doesn't care? It may not sound logical or fair to your dh, but I can see my ds processing the message of a repeat test very differently from what your dh intends. And last thing.... if he *doesn't* offer the accommodations outlined in a student's 504 or IEP, isn't he placing the school district in a vulnerable position should the student someday sue the district? While there might never be any reason to sue over his class.... I believe this could still come up in testimony in a legal confrontation if the family chooses to sue to resolve another IEP/504 issue.

Sorry for the thought explosion there - I'm not trying to nit-pick at your dh and I'm sure he's a wonderful and thoughtful caring teacher and I understand he's in a tough situation.

Best wishes,

polarbear

Last edited by polarbear; 09/10/13 12:26 AM.
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM