Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 40 of 131 1 2 38 39 40 41 42 130 131
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    Beware: there are eleventy billion Warriors books and they're very popular (hence, hard to get at the library). Ask me how I know (says the owner of many Warriors books). It's a richly detailed world, but not the quality of writing of many great kids' books. DD ate 30+ of them up but then was done.

This is the exact reason we buy books. Our small town library really doesn't have much. They still use a card catalog! Anyway we have a better library in our house than at our town library. Plus she takes books to school since she is pretty much ahead of her schools library as well. It just winds up being easier in the long run.

Cassie

"Imperfections in our journey were what made it perfect."-Ewan McGregor
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by drtrum
    A sampling of my dd10's pandora channels. She just doesnt even bother talking or listening to music with her friends.

DD9 loves music of most kinds. She tries to listen in a little bit to popular music so she at least knows what the other kids are talking about but really it's not her thing. She said at her counseling session last time that something that makes her really angry is songs that don't make sense. She said that they start out sounding good with good music and then they start singing the lyrics and one verse doesn't make sense to the next and it just ruins the whole song for her. I never knew that it was bad enough that it made her truly that mad. Oversenitivities kicking in I guess.

I guess it's my fault...LOL. When she was little and went everywhere with me I was on a Josh Groban kick and anytime we got in the car it was "Mommy I want to listen to Josh." She could pick out one if his songs anywhere and she was only about 2 or 3 at the time. She even tried to sing along with the Italian and Spanish songs as well.

Cassie

A
    A
    Chuckling at "eleventy billion", UM.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    YES, this.

Ugh. So glad to be past that stage. I know, I know-- she was reading, she was happy... I just found the entire thing insipid as all get-out.

I guess it's no worse than my penchant for trashy Regency novels in between more serious fare, though. wink

I have way too many romance novels but since I consider it my time out from the real world I think it's quite okay. I read other things too but I have too much real life in my real life. I want my books to be an escape from that. It gives me a chance to be somewhere else for a time. I think that's the same for our kids sometimes. Real life can be just too much for them but their books are an escape to something or somewhere else no matter if it's good writing or poor it can still be an escape. Unless you have one of those little ones that poor writing drives them bonkers and they can't get past it...LOL.

Cassie

B
    B
    I think the thread below is interesting and in the spirit of this one:

http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/1ov84m/what_is_the_most_philosophical_thing_that_you/
    What is the most philosophical thing that you have ever heard a child under the age of 5 say?
    Reddit

S
    S
    We
    Originally Posted by Nautigal
    It sounds better than the rainbow fairy thing, anyway. smile

Well, as for that...
    http://www.workingpartnersltd.co.uk/stories/
    Same ghostwriting shop.

Strangely enough my AS DS9 loves their series (the dreaded Fairies, the dino ones... and just got hooked on Warriors last week, after bouncing off the first book last year -- too many pages, too small print). I think it is because they are so very predictable, and yes he was able to articulate that he liked not to be stressed out worrying about things turning out OK in the end. He hates scary stories.

It seems like most fiction (and the longer the worse) triggers anxiety in him, especially since a lot of the classics tend to have more unpredictable plot lines, and he hasn't learned to trust in the Disney ending. These cookie cutter series are soothing. He gulped the first book (I sneaked it in on a brand new Kindle formatted to Magic Tree House text density) in less than 4 days last week, and polished off the second one in paperback in 4 days.

Oh, and when I discussed his latest interest with our librarian she said she only has the first three in her collection. They are too long and too hard (reading level about one grade above Percy Jackson) for their targeted maturity level, and she has very few kids who get hooked.

Apparently there are similar issues with the Rainbow Fairies books, and it is true that while they are short and (very, very, very) repetitive the actual AR levels range from mid 3s to low 5s. Quite a few of the fairies books are tagged as NC on the lexile website, which might explain their popularity with gifted kids ("the NC code is applied to books that have a Lexile measure markedly higher than is typical for the publisher's intended audience or designated developmental level of the book [... and] is useful when matching high-ability readers with a book that's still at an appropriate developmental level").

If you have an addict on your hands I suggest library + Friends of the Library used book sales.

L
    L
    Originally Posted by Nautigal
    It sounds better than the rainbow fairy thing, anyway. smile

Well, as for that...
    http://www.workingpartnersltd.co.uk/stories/
    Same ghostwriting shop.

Strangely enough my AS DS9 loves their series (the dreaded Fairies, the dino ones... and just got hooked on Warriors last week...If you have an addict on your hands I suggest library + Friends of the Library used book sales.

[/quote]

Ha ha...DD8 LOVED the fairy books, the Dinosaur Cove series, and now the Warriors. She finished the Harry Potter books last year (and has re-read them), so it is nice to see her find another series she enjoys. Yes, I know it is not all "great literature," but I truly believe there is a value in LOVING what you read. A great deal of what I love to read is not "great literature," either! wink

Yes, we LOVE our library!!! We are usually at about our "book limit" for my card.

M
    M
    My DD (11yrs, dyslexic, AS) paused, in the middle of a months long Emily Rodda binge, to read "The Fault in Our Stars", which someone handed her at school last Friday. She read it more voraciously than I have ever seen her read, and I was all full of the "OMG I'm not read for my 11 yr old to read YA angst yet"... She finished last night, in tears... Took some processing time and then declared she might go back to Emily Rodda now :-). Though she thinks she needs to read this a second time....

M
    M
    Originally Posted by Loy58
    We are usually at about our "book limit" for my card.

Our library system doesn't have borrowing limits but I recently found out that I can only reserve so many items.

I never appreciated our libraries much before DD; I always preferred to buy my own books. Now, it's our life line. I'm getting our local librarians Christmas presents this year.

Originally Posted by Mana
    Originally Posted by Loy58
    We are usually at about our "book limit" for my card.

Our library system doesn't have borrowing limits but I recently found out that I can only reserve so many items.

I never appreciated our libraries much before DD; I always preferred to buy my own books. Now, it's our life line. I'm getting our local librarians Christmas presents this year.

Our library has a limit on the number of items you can have out as well as the number of items you can reserve. Our librarian told us they could waive the limit for us though. I don't know what I would do without the library.

Page 40 of 131 1 2 38 39 40 41 42 130 131

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM