Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 151 guests, and 8 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    A
    aquinas Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    Originally Posted by aquinas
    HK, is this about the right tone re: the deliciousness of pigs? wink

Homer eats Pinchy

Precisely.

My parents kept me in the house... but... I could still HEAR my adorable piggy...

I'm over it. Kinda. Hobby farm, actually-- it was the northwest, and the early 70's, so... yeah, kind of the modern homesteader thing.

Aww, that's a heart-wrenching experience to go through. I hope my Simpson's clip didn't offend; it was offered in the spirit of irreverence that we seem to share. If it did, I'm sorry.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    Not even remotely offended or traumatized. I'm very difficult to offend. Very much a Monty Python/Simpsons kind of woman. grin I mean, it was forty years ago. I did enjoy Tigger very much. Both before and after his untimely demise, I mean. blush I just wish that my Dad hadn't taken QUITE so much glee in pointing it out while I was munching down breakfast sausage patties. {sigh}

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    M
    M
    Huh, apparently DD3.5yrs re-wrote the three little pigs this week so that only the wolf dies. The first one runs to the second when the straw house is blown down, they then both run to the third pig when the house of sticks comes down. And them all three defeat the wolf together...

No dead pigs!

Last edited by MumOfThree; 09/06/13 03:18 AM.
    S
    S
    No that is a version we have here, many authors use that version.

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    M
    M
    In our version the first two pigs get eaten, it's the only version we own... She solved her own issue with it, which makes me happy. It's a Lucy Cousins (hope that's her name!) collection of tales and she loves them all, but not the eating of the pigs apparently!

U
    U
    Dobby was the one thing that made DD9 sob in the HP series. I was impressed, actually, since she'd been wrecked by MUCH lighter fare not long before.

I of course cried at Dobby, Dumbledore, Snape..probably some other points...

Interestingly, DD did fine with Charlotte's Web at age 5. "See, it's not sad, because of all the babies!" Meanwhile, I was sniveling.

U
    U
    Ugh, now I'm thinking about poor Dobby.

A
    aquinas Offline OP
    OP Offline
    A
    ((hugs))

Dobby was a valiant little guy to the end. Cheer up, ultramarina:

"No one has a greater love than this, to lay down one's life for one's friends." (Source-- John 15:13)

What is to give light must endure burning.
    D
    D
    Oh geez, now I'm at work thinking about Dobby. I remember yelling at my husband (who read ahead of me in the series), "Dobby dies? DOBBY DIES???!!!! You let me just get surprised by that?!" There may or may not have also been a thrown book. . . . But I also cried over Snape. . . and Harry asking his Mom if she would stay with him to the end. . .Sigh. That book was brutal.

I'm pretty sure DS7 will not be emotionally ready for Harry Potter until he's 21.

S
    S
    I can't look at Where the Red Fern Grows without crying. I kept asking my son if he wanted to talk about the book as he was reading it and that I was here if he needed me. He kept telling me I was nuts. He handed me the book when he was done and put his hand on my shoulder and gave me the saddest look with tear filled eyes and said I was right. It was a sad book. I tried to engage him in conversation about it but he was like...I am okay. And then that was the end of it.

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM