Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 161 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    W
    W
    The infinity walk is essentially tracking a figure 8 in such a way as to always keep your face forward, causing it to go left and right as you walk.

Picture an 8 on its side. Place yourself in the middle junction. You would start either up and to the left or up and to the right. Then your head will not have to turn to watch a spot, card, picture...etc.

The first time I did it I stumbled and bumbled and got dizzy. I am still very slow at it, but am progressing. Mite is doing great and it really helps him memorize things -- spelling list, Bible verses, etc.

The whole thing is supposed to be helping the left brain and right brain communicate and develop the cerebellum.

google infinity walk to find a better explanation.

Willa Gayle
    D
    D
    This is very similar to what happened with our son. Hopefully, our experience may be helpful. Our son is also profoundly gifted and very sensitive (no vacuum cleaners, no tags on clothing, no Disneyland, etc.). We visited Annemarie Roeper (she is in Northern California) and she recommended part-time community college.

Our son, Evan, started community college part time at age 11 and was just admitted full time (he just turned 13). Going to college has relieved all of the issues he was having with noise, uncontrolled environments, kids who cannot control themselves, and intellectual challenge. Since starting college Evan has not had any stomach aches, moodiness, big upsets, or use of coping mechanisms. The school environment exacerbates SI issues. Moving to an adult environment such as college eliminates this environment and puts your son in control.

I would highly recommend community college for your son. Just start out part time and see how it goes. Since we started Evan has never missed a day, never been late, has a 4.0 GPA, and is taking Calculus, English Literature, Psychology, and Music Appreciation this semester.

In California, it is very easy to start community college and it is free. Just go to the nearest one and take the matriculation exams which will place him into the appropriate English and Math classes. Sign up for a class, and you will see that the professors and students are very accepting and encouraging. They treat our son as a peer in the classroom and as a little brother outside of class (they are very protective of him). This route works especially well for PG extroverts who like to participate in class discussion, give oral presentations, and meet new people, which it sounds like your son does.

Lastly, the academic rigor of the coursework works well for PGs because the course is taught to the syllabus, not watered down to the level of all of the students. For example, in Evan's precalculus class, half of the class dropped by the second month. Also, all of the classes are taught by people with a masters or Ph.D. in their field. As you must know, profoundly gifted kids ask questions which can only be answered by an expert. So again, this gives them what they need.

Good luck,
    David

Wow David,
    Sounds like California really has it's act together. I'm so glad it worked for your family! Sounds like your son is thriving!
    Does he find that the other students support his intellectual curiosity? That's the only drawback I've hear about the Community College.
    Best Wishes,
    Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    W
    W
    Trinity, your resources are amazing. That Mislabeled Child lecture is just what I needed to try to explain to the dorky IEP team that Mite IS GIFTED!!!!!!

Some of them get it (principal, sped coordinator) others don't (classroom and sped teachers).

off topic I know, but I just want to thank you yet again for your help!!!

Willa Gayle
    D
    D
    Yes, the other students do support him. In fact, he has led study groups at our house with groups of students.

At community college in California you find a variety of students: top students who are acing community college and will transfer to a UC school, students who are struggling but persistent, adult students, and some high school students trying to get ahead in math.

The top students and high school students (who are of course very bright) respect Evan and treat him as a peer in class. The
    struggling students treat him as a little brother and, we hear, are a bit intimidated by him. The adult students are like an aunt or uncle to him and they ask us a lot of questions about the route Evan took to get where he is.

Evan is very savvy socially and understands the nuances of social and group situations. He somehow understands what everyone else is thinking, and he has a lot of leadership skills and charisma. These are all things my wife and I lack.

When he starts class on the first day, a lot of students think he is one of the older student's kids. After a few days they realize he is taking the class. He tries not to answer questions the first week, and he never answers anything that would make another student feel bad. He also does not brag, etc. He is careful with what he says and with his body language and therefore makes friends easily. He likes to be the center of attention with all eyes on him, yet he is very subtle about how he manages this. He maintains a fairly large network of friends.

I think the community college he goes to is a good one for acceptance of younger students as well because of the mix of ages and life experiences in the student body. Four year universities are made up of students who have stayed in an institutional environment (school) most of their life.

Generally, though, I think that community college versus high school is the big difference. High school is full of cliques and immaturity. Community college has students paying to be there and an environment that does not put up with misbehavior or bad attitudes. Everyone is older and more mature.

One student who has been a friend to Evan and will transfer to USC in the fall said that he would have been intimidated by Evan when he was in high school, but in a college environment there is no competition for grades or social status so it is a completely different situation.

Another factor is picking good classes. Using ratemyprofessors.com you can hand pick good classes with great professors. In such an environment all of the students thrive and bond.

--David

Good for you guys! It is so difficult to accomodate older gifted kids. You are lucky to be in a position you are in! Best of luck. Maybe one day our kids will find a cure for cancer...
    Ania

W
    W
    wow! this topic has skipped and bounced all over the place. what fun!

I just wanted to add to Ania's last comment....

maybe one day our kids will find the cure for gifted education!!!

:^)

Willa Gayle
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM