Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    cammom #166588 09/05/13 10:17 AM
    C
    cammom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    Wanted to mention (another poster said it too) that yes, ixl math also brings out my son's perfectionism. It's because ixl seems to use Kumon style timed drills. If my son misses one, he gets seriously peeved and starts yelling at the computer (been there;). I've caught him doing the pre-k material so he's sure to get them correct (he's in first grade). It's exasperating.
    I am keeping my subscription to ixl because its not terribly expensive and can be helpful if he needs practice.
    For homeschoolers amd any else, we love BrainPop. The videos are engaging a transparent. We looked at the one on equivalent fractions. It was crystal clear. They also have lessons in science, health, social studies, etc.

cammom #166627 09/05/13 02:14 PM
    K
    K
    I agree to master math facts. But disagree that 1st is too early. Our 1st grade expects kids to master 0-20 single digit +\- in first. They do simple multiplication in 2nd. (0,1,2,4,5,10 facts) this is a regular classroom.

Many 1st grade topics also include fractions, measuring, money (adding and finding equivilant sums), using problem solving and simple puzzles ( x+7= 10).

No one curricula fits all... So find what works for your kiddos learning style

cammom #166635 09/05/13 02:33 PM
    M
    M
    The math facts are certainly DDs stumbling block (yr 2, skipped) she's not strong enough on subtraction within 20 for subtraction with regrouping, which she is perfectly able for conceptually.

cammom #166642 09/05/13 03:35 PM
    R
    R
    My son was not being challenged in school so I signed him up for IXL in 2nd grade and asked him to spend 45 minutes on it most days after school. He wound up going through all of the exercises over the next two years up through eighth grade so after many many meetings we convinced the school to let him work on EPGY during the regular math period beginning in fourth grade. EPGY is advanced so we repeated 5th/6th, Pre Algebra and Honors Algebra in fourth grade. He just began EPGY Intermediate Algebra and is in fifth grade. The issue we have is that even though the school has "allowed" him to do this last year and this year, he is not getting recognition for what he has done thus could potentially have to repeat the material but I have documented enough to hopefully avoid that.

The school has recently suggested that we move to Novanet after this quarter of EPGY finishes at the end of November as he will be able to "test-out" of material he has mastered. At this stage, not sure what will happen but we will see. I have no experience with Novanet but it does not look bad...

The point of the above is that if you are supplementing their learning you will quickly wind up many many grades ahead. I am not suggesting not to do this but realize what is ahead. My son did Singapore Math also - it is more challenging than what we were doing locally in NC, especially the later grades.

cammom #166680 09/06/13 07:18 AM
    C
    C
    We like IXL a lot over here - my son is only 3, so there is a lot for him to putter around in - he is a total math head, has been obsessed with numbers since almost forever, and he is hovering around 3rd grade math, give or take on ixl. What I especially like is the ability to bounce around by grade and skill.

But I was wondering, whats the difference between ixl and singapore math and dreambox and math whizz etc? thanks! smile

cammom #166687 09/06/13 07:49 AM
    D
    D
    hi Marnie! i rejected IXL based on the timed-stuff mentioned above for our DD who learned pretty much nothing but perfectionism at school last year. she loved Dreambox for a while this summer, but we were really only using that to figure out if she had any gaps before starting homeschool (on Monday!).

but all that said, Mathletics is her true love - weirdly, i don't see that one mentioned here a lot. i like it because it doesn't have a million repetitions and will let DD skip to the test if she feels ready, which is a nice way of letting her take control of her own readiness. it also offers easier/harder options in case one area needs an adjustment - it's clear she's getting a lot out of it.

Every Sunday it brooded and lay on the floor. Inconveniently close to the drawing-room door.
    cammom #166812 09/07/13 06:04 AM
    C
    cammom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    C
    To Marnie- great that your DS likes ixl- traditional drills on the computer.

Singapore math is a highly regarded school and homeschool curriculum for teaching elementary age math.

Dreambox (my son's fav): Math games, teaching concepts. We get it free through DS's school.

BrainPoP: a series of fun, videos on a variety of academic subjects including math. The videos are in cartoon form, the explanations transparent, and there are quizzes at the end. I usually let DS choose what interests him, but if there is something in particular that he needs to learn, BrainPoP can help. We bought the younger and older kid version.

Khan Academy: free videos on virtually anything including math. So far, explanations are clear.

If your son likes ixl there is an app (Math App) on the iPad. We're using it for rote memorization of multiplication tables. It's adaptable to go up to 20 and you can set the time allotted for each question. Right off, I will tell you that my son can mechanically and conceptually do long multiplication, but without knowing the tables cold, he struggled with frustration.

I don't actually use the computer as much as it sounds like- but it can work for visual explanation (fractions seemed to require a lot of visual) and to put some fun into math drills/ math facts.

cammom #166818 09/07/13 06:53 AM
    C
    C
    Thanks Cammon! I have no idea how DS would respond to the other formats - I stumbled upon IXL awhile ago without realizing there were a bunch of other math sites. We'll have to check them out and see how it goes. (I will admit, lately, DS has shown some frustration with getting answers wrong on IXL- and the whole 'wanting to always get it right' will sometimes end up with him trying to go to the easier grades where the likelihood of messing up is almost nonexistant. Perfectionism at its best, right? So maybe a different structure would alleviate that situation.)

Last edited by Marnie; 09/07/13 06:53 AM.
    ruazkaz #166827 09/07/13 09:04 AM
    D
    D
    Originally Posted by ruazkaz
    The issue we have is that even though the school has "allowed" him to do this last year and this year, he is not getting recognition for what he has done thus could potentially have to repeat the material but I have documented enough to hopefully avoid that.

The school has recently suggested that we move to Novanet after this quarter of EPGY finishes at the end of November as he will be able to "test-out" of material he has mastered. At this stage, not sure what will happen but we will see. I have no experience with Novanet but it does not look bad...

Hi, ruazkaz,
    I'm just wondering what part of NC you're in. We're in the Triangle area and have been at private schools where they are kind of letting DD work on material we are now bringing in (AoPS for now)--but I don't know whether she'll end up getting credit for it either. I was hoping that a school might let her test out and take appropriate courses, but that does seem like a long shot. From what you're saying, too, it sounds like they're only willing to let your DS test ahead if he takes Novanet?? That seems odd, but maybe it aligns better with their curriculum?

cammom #168194 09/18/13 08:32 AM
    C
    C
    question for all the well-informed parents out there: as far as the math curriculums online (dreambox, khan, singapore etc math whiz etc etc), can someone briefly give a rundown on how each of the sites are presented, and how they differ? I would love to find something less like IXL, and more along the lines of something like starfall...if there is such a thing. a way to learn and it be more fun. (not that the multiple choice isnt fun, but it becomes a little problematic with perfectionist DS wanting to get all the answers right and becoming frustrated any time he misses a question...regardless of what grade he is working on. I would love your feedback!

Last edited by Marnie; 09/18/13 08:32 AM.
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM