Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    Val Offline
    How about this one?

Myth: "Gifted kid" means that Little Johnny wrote a symphony when he was 4 or that Little Janey wrote a novel when she was 3.

Reality: Giftedness is not defined by its extremes.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by carrie32
    Real, but I will create a more powerful declaration. When the educational institutions fall short to educate kids at their level and mother and father create up for this by afterschooling, the educational institutions, not the mother and father, are mainly accountable for the kids having less spare time.
    That's about what I said in http://giftedissues.davidsongifted....t_Should_Everyone_Know_a.html#Post161775 .

Z
    Z
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    Real, but I will create a more powerful declaration. When the educational institutions fall short to educate kids at their level and mother and father create up for this by afterschooling, the educational institutions, not the mother and father, are mainly accountable for the kids having less spare time.
    That's about what I said in http://giftedissues.davidsongifted....t_Should_Everyone_Know_a.html#Post161775 .

Quit precisely.

I wonder if this is some sort of Eliza-bot that reposts into a thread using a word swap against an existing post. The new here post was suspiciously generic.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by Bostonian

... may I add another unfortunate truth: the educational institutions, not the mother and father, mainly receive credit for the student's achievements. Some gifted programs consist of tracking what students do outside of school, not of providing an appropriate in-school experience.

H
    H
    It's a joke. No, seriously, you will be lucky if you end up with a self-motivated, high-achieving child out of anything other than a stand-alone gifted school. Most gifted students languish in the public schools, if they don't drop out. The public schools don't know the difference between high achievers and gifted students. Nor do they care. Sad, but true.

K
    OP Offline
    K
    I was out of town for work as the last kind reply came in here. I hope to digest all these replies, along with replies received from some other online communities, into an outline of the state of popular understanding among parents and among school officials of current gifted education research.

Further replies would be delightful. Thanks.

"Students have no shortcomings, they have only peculiarities." Israel Gelfand
    Originally Posted by indigo
    ... may I add: the educational institutions, not the mother and father, mainly receive credit for the student's achievements: Some gifted programs consist of tracking what students do outside of school, not of providing an appropriate in-school experience.

Our school has recently moved toward this model. frown

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Originally Posted by indigo
    ... may I add: the educational institutions, not the mother and father, mainly receive credit for the student's achievements: Some gifted programs consist of tracking what students do outside of school, not of providing an appropriate in-school experience.

Unless they are one and the same.

Meaning the educational institution and the parents.

I think I have agreed with everything said on this thread, both truths and myths!

Not all gifted are alike! What you might think looks like gifted, may not be, and what you think looks like ADHD/ADD, OCD, ODD, ASD, etc. may actually be gifted.

Gifted children need and deserve to have their needs met in school, just the same as a child that is struggling at the other end of the bell curve. It shouldn't be completely up to the parents, and parents shouldn't be forced to homeschool to accomplish this either. (not saying everyone that homeschools is forced to do so - just wanted to clarify)

"No Child Left Behind" should have included stronger wording for gifted children. It should have explained no gifted child should be left behind to wallow in the mire.

Last edited by 1frugalmom; 09/04/13 02:55 PM. Reason: clarification
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by kmbunday
    What myths about gifted education are most influential in today's schools?
    Have all of the myths mentioned by Webb in this youtube video been posted to this thread? He shows a slide at about 00:35 - 01:38 with a list of myths based on Terman, and discusses several (link-
    )... some of which relate to gifted kids who are academically misplaced.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM