Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 217 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
    J
    JenT Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Hi, I'm new here. My 7year old 2nd grader was identified as HG recently, and as a result has started GATE. In our district, GATE normally starts in 3rd, so he is the only 2nd grader in the group. He came home excited, said they will discuss ancient Egypt first. He indicated that there is GATE homework. My older daughter went through this program, and they never had homework. Apparently things have changed in the 5 years separating my kids...maybe something to do with Common Core. I look at the homework, and it is vocabulary. "Abstruse" is one of the words. This seems pretty difficult, even for gifted 3rd graders. I am afraid that my son will be discouraged, not want to go to to GATE, and miss out on the interesting Egypt stuff because of this. I'm really surprised, I thought I knew what we were getting with GATE. Does anyone have input on this? Thanks.

Though the vocabulary words may be hard, don't be discouraged. It may only be some words that will be necessary for the particular unit study. As long as there are 10-15 words per week, or less, it should be ok. You can ask the GATE teacher about future lists before making any decision. Good luck!

Wisdom begins with wonder. – Socrates
    J
    JenT Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Thanks mycup. My son doesn't like to write at all, so a sentence including "abstruse" is not really his thing at all. I hope this is just a fluke. I wasn't entirely sure what it meant myself and I am an avid reader.

Z
    Z
    Could be worse, he could've brought home third grade GATE math homework marked "challenge" that was a page of small number addition and subtraction problems. Setting aside the writing part, did he understand the word, find it interesting? Unusual words can really fire the imagination, I'll own up to looking it up, myself, and was amused that at least it was self-defining (abstruse is abstruse.)

J
    JenT Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    Yes, Zen, I think that is how he will remember that one. We thought that was funny as well.

U
    U
    I think that's kind of great!

I think it is great, too, as long as it is handled well. How many words a week do they have to learn?
    In contrast, my DD13's words for English Honors included "chandelier."

U
    U
    My DD's 4th grade teacher is making a big deal out of vocab this year and I'm really pleased...I feel this is something that sometimes gets forgotten in the early grades, and it's a great way for younger gifties to enjoy words. Kids who read way above level can use a little instruction with this, or at least mine can--her vocab seems a bit lacking, considering the books she reads. (Yesterday I had to tell her what "dominate" means, which I thought she ought to know.) I'm not sure she's really trying that hard to get meanings from context.

Can he send some of that vocab to my son? lol. His spelling/vocab words still seem super easy this year... I am hoping they get harder once the teacher settles in and does the first assessment.

(Can't wait for MAP testing!!)

~amy
    J
    JenT Offline OP
    OP Offline
    J
    They have 10 words a week. I think that abstruse is not a word for most elementary age kids. I'm wondering what the teacher is thinking on that. Another is "abut", which my silly 7 year old thinks is hilarious. That one is right up his alley. He also had "affidavit", he doesn't have the background knowledge to really understand that one. My 7th grader learned some new words, so that is a plus.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM