Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 325 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    P
    P
    Though he denied it I am pretty sure ds7's teacher prevented going to the toilet at least once - not much in most case but the kid has encopresis and started holding on with predictable consequences.

The one I came to report is this years effort. The school has decided instead of streaming for maths everyone will work at the same level but they will offer extension classes (just one offs I think) in various things. The problem is rather than the teachers selecting the children who will benefit the kids are given the option of applying then a certain number are selected from each class. My son has developed strong risk averse tendencies (he always had them but I used to make him do new stuff when he was preschool age - I dropped the ball thinking the school would try to challenge him), he has spent two years being completely unchallenged and is now scared to fail. He is not going to put himself forward for something he may not be chosen for especially if he has to write a letter saying why he should be chosen for the science course. The teacher brought up his perfectionism in out interveiw but still doesn't see that vague "you can do this if you want to" is a bad approach.

And why is it my just turned 7 year old son gets to decide what schooling he does. The parents weren't even told about the change and I only heard about the extension classes through third parties

B
    B
    Originally Posted by aquinas
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    We're in big, big trouble when we refuse to even ADMIT that some people are actually smarter or more capable than others, or that some people's efforts just aren't good enough to be considered "adequate" much less "exemplary."

I attended a session led by the head of a social innovation fund earlier this week and watched her proudly endorse a man who argues that there is no such thing as innate math ability. He was her organization's golden calf. They needed to step back two feet to be able to register the irony of an organization whose mandate it is to pick winners claiming that ability is uniformly distributed. Yikes.

"This human characteristic is uniformly distributed in the population..."

...said no one ever.
    Neither of you should be surprised by unwillingness to acknowledge differences in cognitive abilities, because the instruments that measure individual differences in those abilities also reveal substantial group differences in those abilities. A society that does not want to admit that there may be group differences will not be able to think clearly about individual differences, unless by a happy coincidence all groups do about the same on the tests used to measure those differences. They do not.

A
    A
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    Neither of you should be surprised by unwillingness to acknowledge differences in cognitive abilities, because the instruments that measure individual differences in those abilities also reveal substantial group differences in those abilities. A society that does not want to admit that there may be group differences will not be able to think clearly about individual differences, unless by a happy coincidence all groups do about the same on the tests used to measure those differences. They do not.
    +1. This seems to be one of the root problems in US in particular.

I give the same argument -1 for straw man, so I guess we're back to zero. US society clearly acknowledges group differences, there's just a divide as to why they occur.

OP Offline
    Originally Posted by master of none
    Like the way common core is sold here:

It used to be that only GT students were expected to perform at a high level. That's really not fair. So now, with common core, ALL students are expected to perform at the same high level that GT was once held to.

We are not leaving any child behind. We have not expected enough of our special education students. We will provide them whatever support is needed for them to meet common core standards.

YIKES! Old GT is now Special Ed! Or Special Ed is now GT?

Wait... doesn't that also mean that special ed isn't special ed anymore??

eek

WOW. I'm guessing that high-achieving and high-ability students aren't the only ones getting stiffed the education our society promised them.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM