Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 155 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    K
    K
    Originally Posted by Val
    We forgot an important one:

Rigor = More Homework

Yes.

P
    P
    And extension is doing the too easy work then doing the next level which is also too easy. What 6 year old wouldn't jump at that!

OP Offline
    Ugh-- I hated that with math and my DD.

Regular assignment: pp 204-206; #1-55 odd problems.

Enrichment for additional challenge:

pp 204-206; 1-55, 57, 60-72.

[bangs head]

So this meant that my daughter was expected to do TWICE the number of low-level, single-skill problems which were considered "adequate" to teach her nongifted classmates this material. Let's think about this for a moment, shall we...

smirk

Right. Because it's obvious that gifted learners need a lot more reinforcement of concepts than most students.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Z
    Z
    Another to add to the list:
    Teachers from year to year using completely different standards to measure reading skills.

To have a kid come out of K with a Fountas & Pinnell of T, then having the 1st grade teacher report an L is dispiriting (not to mention suspicious when the letter moves in perfect progress through the year; p.s. what is the definition of sandbagging?)

OP Offline
    A fresh example from Precalculus:

Core:
    Read pp. 45–48, then complete the Core assignment (pp. 49–51 #11–29 odd, 30–37 all).

Alternatively, for additional practice, complete the Enriched problems instead of the Core assignment.
    Enriched:
    pp. 49–51 #11–37 all

Right. For "enrichment" or "additional challenge" do twice as many of the EASIEST problems in the homework set.

crazy

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Originally Posted by Zen Scanner
    Another to add to the list:
    Teachers from year to year using completely different standards to measure reading skills.

To have a kid come out of K with a Fountas & Pinnell of T, then having the 1st grade teacher report an L is dispiriting (not to mention suspicious when the letter moves in perfect progress through the year; p.s. what is the definition of sandbagging?)

Zen
    Do they report the level on the report card? It would seem that an explanation would be in order - perhaps even a full battery of school paid for testing to explain how suddenly your kid dropped 8 reading levels over the summer!!!

DeHe

Last edited by DeHe; 09/24/13 12:29 PM.
    Val Offline
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    Right. For "enrichment" or "additional challenge" do twice as many of the EASIEST problems in the homework set.

Does the book even have harder problems? My son's book (not Advanced Math by Richard Brown) doesn't.

Last edited by Val; 09/24/13 12:32 PM. Reason: typo
    Val Offline
    Think I'll add this is a general one. NCLB or Title II or whatever defines a "highly qualified teacher" as someone who

1. Has a Bachelor's degree (doesn't have to be subject-specific)
    2. Has certification from the state
    3. Has passed a test in the area s/he teaches.

Personally, I would see these requirements as describing a bare minimum, not grounds for being labelled "highly qualified." But that is just me.

Z
    Z
    Originally Posted by DeHe
    Zen
    Do they report the level on the report card? It would seem that an explanation would be in order - perhaps even a full battery of school paid for testing to explain how suddenly your kid dropped 8 reading levels over the summer!!!

DeHe

This was last year, and they did report it, but our relationship with the school is going great. DS skipped 2nd and is now in a full TD program. I'm writing that blip off as mixed styles between the K and 1st teacher, and it didn't restrict his access to material.

Originally Posted by Zen Scanner
    Originally Posted by DeHe
    Zen

DeHe

This was last year, and they did report it, but our relationship with the school is going great. DS skipped 2nd and is now in a full TD program. I'm writing that blip off as mixed styles between the K and 1st teacher, and it didn't restrict his access to material.

oh that's good - I would have been fuming if it had influenced access to material! On an aside, never understand the idea of restricting access anyhow.

DeHe

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM