Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 228 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    Originally Posted by magicsonata
    Originally Posted by doubtfulguest
    the whole child.

it sounds so sensible, to think about the whole child! but it's funny how it gets used to avoid addressing specific concerns. "oh, but we must think of the Whole Child - what's the rush? she's such a little kid..."

This! In pre-k (4) he went in with math and reading at a 1st+ grade level, and in K (5) he was at a 2nd-3rd grade level in math (depending on topic) and reading at about 4th grade level (though he would much rather read picture books or encyclopedias not chapter books). I got sucked into the: the academics don't matter because he has them down pat, what really matters is balancing him out, the whole child must be developed and his behavior is horrible so we must focus on that for now, there is time later to teach him more math/science/reading.

It's right about then that I would point out my role in my child's life is to worry about development of the whole child, particularly behavior, and their role is to teach academics.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by Dude
    Originally Posted by doubtfulguest
    the whole child.

it sounds so sensible, to think about the whole child! but it's funny how it gets used to avoid addressing specific concerns. "oh, but we must think of the Whole Child - what's the rush? she's such a little kid..."

This! In pre-k (4) he went in with math and reading at a 1st+ grade level, and in K (5) he was at a 2nd-3rd grade level in math (depending on topic) and reading at about 4th grade level (though he would much rather read picture books or encyclopedias not chapter books). I got sucked into the: the academics don't matter because he has them down pat, what really matters is balancing him out, the whole child must be developed and his behavior is horrible so we must focus on that for now, there is time later to teach him more math/science/reading.

It's right about then that I would point out my role in my child's life is to worry about development of the whole child, particularly behavior, and their role is to teach academics.

and it's right about now that I need to point out how much i love you people. for realz, y'all are keeping me sane, and this thread is fantastic already.

Every Sunday it brooded and lay on the floor. Inconveniently close to the drawing-room door.
    Val Offline
    Originally Posted by Val
    Mathematics with no wrong answers.

May I ask how that would work?

Here's an example.

The Institute will use the five million dollar grant to train teachers at 8 elementary schools to “lead classrooms that celebrate critical thinking, not correct answers.” These teachers will ultimately “support” more than 4,500 students.

I'm very skeptical of programs like this one. They tend to be based on fluffy thinking and little evidence. I say this as someone who has reviewed way too many education grant applications.

Last edited by Val; 08/23/13 01:03 PM. Reason: Clarity
    "Mad Minutes" those dreadful timed tests to see how many addition, subtraction, multiplication problems you can answer correctly in 1 minute. Then (insert sarcastic tone here)if you are lucky the teacher will post your score on a big chart on the bulletin board for all to see.

We despise "Mad Minutes"!

Originally Posted by Val
    Originally Posted by Val
    Mathematics with no wrong answers.

May I ask how that would work?

Here's an example.

The Institute will use the five million dollar grant to train teachers at 8 elementary schools to “lead classrooms that celebrate critical thinking, not correct answers.” These teachers will ultimately “support” more than 4,500 students.

I'm very skeptical of programs like this one. They tend to be based on fluffy thinking and little evidence. I say this as someone who has reviewed way too many education grants.

Wow. *blink blink* shocked Just wow. I am stunned by that. Those poor children!

U
    U
    the academics don't matter because he has them down pat, what really matters is balancing him out, the whole child must be developed and his behavior is horrible so we must focus on that for now, there is time later to teach him more math/science/reading.

I have a kindergartner who has the academics down pat AND is extremely well behaved AND socially aware, so it's going be interesting to see what they say he needs to work on. (Better hygiene? ...It's true that I'm bad about clipping his fingernails. Improved cafeteria skills?...He's slow at eating lunch.) I shall keep you posted.

P
    P
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    (Better hygiene? ...It's true that I'm bad about clipping his fingernails.

Believe it or not, when my 2e ds had his first neuropsych eval, his 2nd grade teacher filled out a behavioral survey and was "very concerned" that his fingernails weren't clipped.

I can't tell you how many times in follow-up team meetings where she was present that I was tempted to ask for personal hygiene breaks as needed and an aide to trim his nails lol!

polarbear

Val Offline
    Wow. *blink blink* shocked Just wow. I am stunned by that. Those poor children!

Yes, Whole Language reading created a generation of semi-literate Americans, and math with no wrong answers is creating people who are mostly clueless about mathematics.

Last edited by Val; 08/23/13 01:09 PM.
    K
    K
    Originally Posted by 1frugalmom
    "Mad Minutes" those dreadful timed tests to see how many addition, subtraction, multiplication problems you can answer correctly in 1 minute. Then (insert sarcastic tone here)if you are lucky the teacher will post your score on a big chart on the bulletin board for all to see.

We despise "Mad Minutes"!

DD13 still recalls her classmates' humiliation by their third grade teacher using a similar approach. The teacher put stuffed animals with the kids' names on a bulletin board. When the kids reached a certain level of timed prociency on basic math facts, they could take home their animal. DD was one of the first kids to bring hers home in September or October. By the end of the year, it was a wall of shame for a few kids who never attained the goal. DD felt very bad for the kids who never earned their animals.

U
    U
    his 2nd grade teacher filled out a behavioral survey and was "very concerned" that his fingernails weren't clipped.

I actually do worry about things like this sometimes. We aren't very appearance-focused in our house (as in, the occasional rundown shoe, crazy hair day, and unclipped nail doth not offend too much) and sometimes I really have to focus hard on the children and make sure they look steretypically "well-kept," just so that doesn't count against them.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM