Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 300 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    E
    OP Offline
    E
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    ElizabethN, I didn't realize we has the same age spread with our kids. smile One thing I had forgotten is how tired they are after kindy (my son is in full-day). He normally does not say he is tired, but has been complaining of fatigue since school started and comes home pretty spent. I totally get it being hard to move bedtime earlier, but you might consider for a bit at the start of school.

I didn't either!

Thanks for the heads up on fatigue. Now that they'll both be on the school bus at 7:30, I may be able to shift my work hours earlier so I can afford to move bedtime earlier. We may take a week to see how it goes first, though.

I have pretty high sleep needs - DH, not so much. My brother also gets by on shockingly little sleep. So the kids could have genes for pretty much anything.

Our DS (6.5) bedtime when school starts next week is from 8-6. We find that it take at least a half hour for him to fall asleep after we close the door.

This vacation, his bedtime has ranged from 8:30-10 and he's usually up around 6:15-7:30, depending upon when he went down, and depending upon if he has woken up during the night. (He's had nightmares lately.)

I've noticed that he's optimum with at least 9 hours a night.

Last edited by Ametrine; 09/02/13 03:35 PM. Reason: added detail
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    ElizabethN, I didn't realize we has the same age spread with our kids. smile One thing I had forgotten is how tired they are after kindy (my son is in full-day). He normally does not say he is tired, but has been complaining of fatigue since school started and comes home pretty spent. I totally get it being hard to move bedtime earlier, but you might consider for a bit at the start of school.

Side note: Our son's first grade is from 8:30-2. The director of the charter said that they have learned that youngsters generally don't concentrate very well if expected to be in school past that time.

Contrasting this with last year at the public school in which DS was first enrolled...Kindergarten from 8-2:45.

I really wonder if these little ones, gifted or otherwise, just need more "downtime"? I call for a Siesta! smile

It was my husband's and my observation that our DS was tired enough coming home from a short day Kindergarten at the private school we moved him into (8-11:45). He bounced back after a few hours relaxing at home, however.

N
    N
    DS10 and DD7 are both theoretically supposed to go to bed at 9:00 pm and get up at 6:45 am on school days. DD7 is generally asleep by 9:30, although some nights she is getting up for things (growing pains, drink of water, hungry, forgot to tell me something, etc.) until 10-10:30. This gets better as the school year becomes a habit. DS10 is a night owl like his mother, and I'm lucky if he's asleep by 10:30. Any day when he doesn't have to get up early, he's up till midnight, 1 am, just like me.

Like HK said, no amount of sleep ever gets either one of us to the ability to bounce out of bed happily. Ever. DD7 is an early-morning bouncer, and she naturally falls asleep earlier, too.

M
    M
    DS6 is our sleeper. He goes up about 8, reads until 9 and sleeps until 7:30 or 8. (We don't leave for school until 8:30, so this works for us.)

DD4, starting K, does best with 11 - 12 hours. In bed at 7, out by 7:05 and up around 6:45. She needs more sleep than she likes to get. And like someone else's little one, if she's in bed on time she falls asleep no prob, but if she goes up 20 min late she might come down for the next 60 - 90 min, driving me crazy, since I know she'll be a wreck the next day. With her starting all day K, I'm sure she'll be worn out like her brother was and plan to have her up to bed a few minutes earlier... Which does rush the evening dinner/bath/bed routine.

Our youngest (3) is on a similar schedule to her sister.

Mk13 -- I do not know how you are doing it!

Last edited by mama2three; 09/02/13 08:54 PM.
    A
    A
    DD6 goes to sleep around 8.15-8.30, and wakes 6.30-6.45. She'll always wake at that time no matter how late she's up, and will stay happy and bright unless she goes 3 or so days with less sleep. FWIW she was never tired out when she started school unlike all her friends, she was energized by it smile

U
    U
    And like someone else's little one, if she's in bed on time she falls asleep no prob, but if she goes up 20 min late she might come down for the next 60 - 90 min, driving me crazy,

I think this is more common that people realize. There is the temptation to assume this means the kid is not sleepy, but it's like with babies, when you miss the nap window (ohhhh, how I HATED that).

Interestingly we don't see this with my higher sleep needs kid (she is mostly OUT a few minutes after her light is out), just the one who is more able to "get by" on less sleep.

I do feel grateful that both of my kids are happy morning people--chipper and alert as soon as they're up (unlike their mother!!) However, they do not sleep in if up very late.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by AvoCado
    DD6 goes to sleep around 8.15-8.30, and wakes 6.30-6.45. She'll always wake at that time no matter how late she's up, and will stay happy and bright unless she goes 3 or so days with less sleep. FWIW she was never tired out when she started school unlike all her friends, she was energized by it smile

ah, yet another creepy ditto, for me, AvoCado. sometimes i honestly think we're raising the same kid. although the "energized" thing only lasted until "disillusioned" took over...

Every Sunday it brooded and lay on the floor. Inconveniently close to the drawing-room door.
    N
    N
    My 2-year-old daughter usually goes to sleep between 9:30 to 10 in the evening this is because she gets more than an hour of sleep in the afternoon. I have to make her sleepy so she can sleep straight. She wakes up between 9 to 9:30 in the morning.

A
    A
    Originally Posted by Mk13
    DS5 on a good day / night sleeps about 9hrs (with help of Melatonin and Hydroxyzine). When he was younger before Melatonin started working on him, he was running on 4hrs of sleep / day. It was exhausting to say the least! DS3 either gets 7hrs in one stretch (usually from 2am - 9am), or sleeps in two long naps (8pm-midnight and 7am-11am) ... and from time to time dozes off in the car or doesn't sleep at all.

MK, have you ever tried a zinc and magnesium supplement for your DS5? I used to get considerable nervous overload from my weightlifting and found this combination beneficial for calming my CNS if taken a few hours prior to bedtime. Otherwise, I'd settle after 1:00am and be up repeatedly through the night.

What is to give light must endure burning.
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM