Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 166 guests, and 21 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
    As the mom of a DS who has insisted on reading the official DMV manual since he was 5 (he's now 6.5), and who has had an abiding interest in all things that have a gauge...including the speedometer on my car, I can say I've thought about this... A LOT.

Hubby and I constantly talk about driver safety and I wonder if it's helping or hurting our cause. Is DS understanding he is not capable until he has a license or is he "prepping" to drive when HE thinks he's capable?

Case in point: We don't let him pour his own milk from the gallon jug because, well..milk is darned expensive and a nearly full gallon is heavy for a child to manage. I told him time and time again to ask first before trying to pour his own. He continually tries to do it when HE thinks he can.

We live on some acreage and DS has his own motor scooter that in a residential area would require a license to drive. He drives it on our lawn.

Will he eventually try to take mommy's car for a spin? IDK. Apparently, according to YouTube, kids drive all the time.

Today he was very proud that he could hang my car keys on the rack.

---

You know, I think DH and I will have a very serious convo with DS about this.

Thanks for posting.

Originally Posted by NotSoGifted
    Had to hide chocolate from one of our cats - one day he ate a bunch of Hershey's Kisses with Almonds (found a bunch of spit out almonds but none of the foil wrappers).

From a cat-lover: They're a persistent bunch.

Simon's Cat-Feed Me

Originally Posted by ultramarina
    DD would as soon fly to Mars as start the car. I'm not worried.

My DS recently had to explain on a worksheet whether or not he would want to go to the moon. He said, "NO!!! Because I don't want the training!"

(He is afraid of the centrifuge.)

Originally Posted by ultramarina
    At 8? Sure, I think this kid probably has impulse control problems. He might have ADHD. He might just be a bit wild. But a lifetime of antisocial behavior? Maybe, but only because 1) he killed his sibling in a terrible accident 2) people will pass cruel judgement.

He's a child. Children do foolish, foolish things. I jumped off the roof holding an umbrella at around 8, a la Mary Poppins. (Fortunately, it WAS a low roof.)

I agree completely.

At around the same age, I jumped off a slide onto a see-saw that my very best friend had been persuaded to stand upon. He flew off and landed on a yard toy and broke his arm. We had been emulating a circus act.

We also started fires in the backyard in our own "brick ovens" to "bake" our own chocolate (mud) pies!

What can you say? Kids will be kids. Parents are always "putting out fires"!

Originally Posted by ColinsMum
    Reminds me of this.

shocked Jaw-dropping. They must have been on drugs to do something like that, right?

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM