Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
    #165996 08/30/13 10:17 AM
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    My son's school is starting a new curriculum for math this year called EnVision Math. I am just wondering what people's opinons here are about it and what experiences people have had. Apparently, this is in response to the new "common core requirements coming down the pike," which statement sort of made me cringe a little. The other thing that caused me a little bit of concern was that when I mentioned that my DS needs differientation in math b/c he is about two years ahead the teacher said "oh the new math program has enrichment built in" and "you know it's not just math facts, it's going into math at a deeper level and exploring what math really is." Both statements made me cringe a little. And DS is two years ahead in 'math problem solving' not just calculation ...

Last edited by Irena; 08/30/13 10:18 AM.
    Irena #166011 08/30/13 11:05 AM
    Us too! Check out my previous thread - http://giftedissues.davidsongifted....n_Digital_Curriculum_Opi.html#Post165531

I have yet to see any math that DD9 has done in the enVision program and we have been in school over a week now.

We have Pearson programs for all subjects, so not only is it math, but everything else. Needless to say, a lot is riding on how this goes with the district and the students.

We were told basically the same thing - that the program goes deeper and the advanced kids can work at their own speed through the program. I also have my doubts, but it sounds great if it really works the way they told us it does and it covers what the students need.

Irena #166016 08/30/13 11:34 AM
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Oh, just reading the thread now! Thanks....

Irena #166035 08/30/13 01:09 PM
    F
    F
    I cringed when I read HK's comments about enVision in the above thread. DD10's new school uses enVision. I am hoping it will at least exceed Everyday Math that we suffered through at her previous school. EnVision seems to at least have a logical scope and sequence, the lack of which is one of EM's many, many failings. DD is not a math kid but she has mentioned doing some optional enrichment work this week. I sure it's not two grades ahead though!

I have come to believe that the quality of the math pedagogy in school is more important than curriculum anyway after engaging in lots of research about EM and other math curricula and the "math wars" following last year's math disaster.

Hope others chime in on this.

Irena #166041 08/30/13 01:23 PM
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Well, I am feeling more optimistic... Apparently, this was piloted in my son's class last year (I didn't know that when I first posted)... Half the year they piloted Singapore math and the other half EnVision. My DS said for half of the year students who had finished their work/mastered their lesson got to go to an enrichment center do things at the enrichment center. He loved that. Apparently, that was envision curriculum... So it may not be a greatest curriculum but that whole 'when-your-done/mastered-your-lesson-you-get-to-go-talk-math' with other math kids at a "center" was a BIG hit with my son... Apparently, the group (generally it was the same grup fo kids every time) would get together and pick a math topic to work on - multiplication, square roots, etc. Now, I am assuming that the teacher has some discretion with how the "center" works so I guess what kind of teacher the child has can make a difference and can make a good experience or a bad experience BUT I am breathing a huge sigh of relief for now and definitely feeling optimistic. Also I don't mind computer aspect at all - my son already does a lot of math on the computer and I find he works much better using a computer (hey DH is a hardware computer engineer so we're all about using tech/computers here - t's in the blood) particularly with his dysgraphia and handwriting problems... so I am okay with that aspect as well. SO feeling optimistic despite the criticisms.

Last edited by Irena; 08/30/13 02:12 PM.
    Irena #166122 08/31/13 04:56 PM
    C
    cc6 Offline
    C
    Now here is a topic I can add to!

DS6 began enVision math worksheets in kinder fall 2012, moved to public independent study program winter 2012 & skipped to 1st gr, so he rec'd the 1st enVision Math Workbook to work on. Unfortunately for 1st he ONLY rec'd the workbook. It starts out very sloooow and never seems to speed up!

This year for 2nd grade, he has rec'd not just the 2nd gr workbook but also the "teachers edition" & actual 4pg color lesson worksheets.

It is HORRIBLE! Not only does it not seem to introduce topics in any type of order, it tries to teach various topics in so many different styles vs focus on one, that it is hard to follow. rather convoluted and drawn out. and does not go deep enough into any given subject...it is also WAY too simple!

DS6 complained about the 1st gr being too easy. Now he complains about the 2nd grade.

The other thing is envisions is HUGE on using counters, ten-frame's etc and just drawing them, counting them etc, if teacher requires all work- this can make a child like mine, and i'm sure most all kids here, very frustrated- he can glance at 2+3=? and say "5". quick. nooooo envisions req child to draw out counters or to count and write the quantity down etc, and I found myself spending more time last year trying to talk DS6 into doing that-showing that "work" than it took for him to get a whole topic done!

now? I gave him the 2nd grade workbook, picked the most difficult topics for him to do- TIME, FRACTIONS, MULTIPLICATION CONCEPTS, MULT FACTS, DIVISION, and he did them all in a matter of hours! There are just 20 topics in this book.

On my own, we have moved onto the 3rd gr envision math workbook. Again, nothng really new so far, just dbl digit add/subt... no telling time or $ topics AT ALL.

I am going to go ahead and work thru this, while also having him do 3rd gr Singapore, and (don't laugh!) a Sylvan Learning 3rd gr Math bk I picked up @Costco! IT is actually more comprehensive than the enVisons program is! and it is in Color. DS6 finds it at least visually stimulating!

personal complaints of mine are- envisions does not go deep enough into any topic, but espectially telling time or $$ which I think are two important subjects.

*also because the envisions program is so simple- I honestly don't know if my DS6 is at 3rd/4th grade level math or that this program just doesn't expect kids to know anything @2nd grade level? (that said, the 3rd gr also simple- why I am supplementing with other programs)

Bottom Line? if a child is advanced in math, this program will most likely not teach him a whole lot, and more likely to cause frustrations for the child...

Last edited by cc6; 08/31/13 04:59 PM. Reason: spelling lol

One can never consent to creep when
    one feels an impulse to soar!
    ~Helen Keller

cc6 #166124 08/31/13 05:14 PM
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Originally Posted by cc6
    The other thing is envisions is HUGE on using counters, ten-frame's etc and just drawing them, counting them etc, if teacher requires all work- this can make a child like mine, and i'm sure most all kids here, very frustrated- he can glance at 2+3=? and say "5". quick. nooooo envisions req child to draw out counters or to count and write the quantity down etc, and I found myself spending more time last year trying to talk DS6 into doing that-showing that "work" than it took for him to get a whole topic done!

now? I gave him the 2nd grade workbook, picked the most difficult topics for him to do- TIME, FRACTIONS, MULTIPLICATION CONCEPTS, MULT FACTS, DIVISION, and he did them all in a matter of hours! There are just 20 topics in this book.

On my own, we have moved onto the 3rd gr envision math workbook. Again, nothng really new so far, just dbl digit add/subt... no telling time or $ topics AT ALL.

Oh crap - we had a problem with this last year - the drawing of boxes and such ... It was really a problem because it was hard for my DS to draw all those boxes neatly and he would tire so much more, etc. drawing all these stupid boxes. I guess that was envision. Fortunately, my son already knows money ... Perhaps keeping him in mathnasium will help. And doing IXL but this math nonsense is so annoying - why is it no one can get teaching math right in this country?

Irena #166125 08/31/13 05:15 PM
    C
    cc6 Offline
    C
    I forgot to add, after every topic, is an assessment/test. As well as an accumulative test @ end of program- specifically related to common core math standards

~Helen Keller

Irena #166127 08/31/13 05:50 PM
    C
    cc6 Offline
    C
    oh my gosh Portia!
    our boys sound exactly the same!!!!

*this past wk, I spoke to his teacher- we meet with her 1hr/wk to turn in previous wks work, and I asked if DS6 could just take the Topic Tests- if he shows he knows the stuff, he skips the tedious worksheets. she said NO!

he has to do ALL the work and turn it in each wk b/c that is how the school gets funding.

That's WHY I have moved forward on my own as far as math goes. Each wk for the rest of the school year we are turning in each wk's worth of math lessons as required--So in May, we will turn in req'd lessons, even though they were all completed months prior in August.

~Helen Keller

Irena #166128 08/31/13 05:57 PM
    C
    cc6 Offline
    C
    Irena,
    DS knows Money as well, but I did have to supplement, I really want him to know it in depth.
    I would be okay with DS6 doing the math Online also, he also complains his hand gets tired. It is a legit complaint as he had issues w/ his hands, not the fine motor- those are wonderful, but the gross motor... for which he rec'd OT.

I have recently been looking @Khan Academy, DS enjoys the format. Somebody somewhere complained it changes a lot, that they are becoming more aligned with CA public school system, and the common core..

~Helen Keller

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM