Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 216 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
    cc6 #166577 09/05/13 08:15 AM
    Originally Posted by cc6
    The other thing is envisions is HUGE on using counters, ten-frame's etc and just drawing them, counting them etc, if teacher requires all work- this can make a child like mine, and i'm sure most all kids here, very frustrated- he can glance at 2+3=? and say "5". quick. nooooo envisions req child to draw out counters or to count and write the quantity down etc, and I found myself spending more time last year trying to talk DS6 into doing that-showing that "work" than it took for him to get a whole topic done!

The program still uses counters in 4th grade for single digit multiplication. DD was drawing arrays a couple nights ago on an "enrichment" page. Luckily since this is new to her, she was sort of enjoying picking what she drew pictures of - smiley faces, lightning bolts, etc. and was taking her time to draw each one out. However, if she has to continue to use arrays, I doubt her creativity will last long and her neatness will dwindle down to messy squiggles and simple x's and o's.

madeinuk #166579 09/05/13 08:55 AM
    Originally Posted by madeinuk
    If your DD wanted to really blow the teacher's mind then she could answer that it is a natural result of the identity property of multiplication LOL

Perhaps that is what the 'looking deeply into the problem' was looking for...

Alternatively, a natural result of the identity property of addition... since multiplication is just addition to the power of n. wink

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    L
    L
    Originally Posted by 1frugalmom
    Luckily since this is new to her, she was sort of enjoying picking what she drew pictures of - smiley faces, lightning bolts, etc. and was taking her time to draw each one out. However, if she has to continue to use arrays, I doubt her creativity will last long and her neatness will dwindle down to messy squiggles and simple x's and o's.

Ugh. This is DD's personal demon. Should she choose smileys or lightning bolts? Or maybe cats, horses, or trees? The entire homework turns into a multi-hour struggle with choosing things that DON'T MATTER. It's worse than creative writing - at least there she can make up a story that has some reason to include trees vs. cats. The actual math part takes seconds, the choices are impossible.

Irena #166598 09/05/13 11:04 AM
    C
    cc6 Offline
    C
    DS doesn't use the counters or draw the counters/arrays etc, he just puts down the answer, when teacher sad he has to show work to prove he knows how to do the problem... I replied this was independent study, i'm teaching him @home, and i'm ok with him just putting the answer. when she insisted- I said "mark him down then, his test scores will speak for themselves"

enVision example 2nd gr:

Making 10 to Add 8
    *make 10 to add 8.
    use counters and your workmat.
    1. 8+3=
    2. 8+1=

One can never consent to creep when
    one feels an impulse to soar!
    ~Helen Keller

Irena #166601 09/05/13 11:10 AM
    C
    cc6 Offline
    C
    *said!!! (my messed up keyboard!)

also, keep in mind the whole 2nd gr enVision offered nothing new for DS6, as such he was able to go thru and complete fairly quickly, while grumbling whole time it was "babywork". ***that said, we still turn in the "math" according to the teachers schedule, which is same as if he was in actual classroom. actually we are a tiny bit ahead according to the teacher, and we should go back over and possibly supplement! (ummm NO) wink

for this wk, he is just turning in Topic #2, lesson 2-7

One can never consent to creep when
    one feels an impulse to soar!
    ~Helen Keller

Irena #166607 09/05/13 11:49 AM
    I
    Irena Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    ugh

S
    S
    Originally Posted by cc6
    The other thing is envisions is HUGE on using counters, ten-frame's etc and just drawing them, counting them etc, if teacher requires all work- this can make a child like mine, and i'm sure most all kids here, very frustrated- he can glance at 2+3=? and say "5". quick. nooooo envisions req child to draw out counters or to count and write the quantity down etc, and I found myself spending more time last year trying to talk DS6 into doing that-showing that "work" than it took for him to get a whole topic done!

The program still uses counters in 4th grade for single digit multiplication. DD was drawing arrays a couple nights ago on an "enrichment" page. Luckily since this is new to her, she was sort of enjoying picking what she drew pictures of - smiley faces, lightning bolts, etc. and was taking her time to draw each one out. However, if she has to continue to use arrays, I doubt her creativity will last long and her neatness will dwindle down to messy squiggles and simple x's and o's.

My son would so draw brownies. He writes spelling sentences all about brownies. Brownies is his default thing to put some fun into school.

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    Sweetie #166622 09/05/13 01:15 PM
    Originally Posted by Sweetie
    My son would so draw brownies. He writes spelling sentences all about brownies. Brownies is his default thing to put some fun into school.

Brownies, as is yummy chocolate? Brownies, as in cute little elfish creatures? Brownies, as in girl scouts? Oh the possibilities!!!! I think I would go for the yummy chocolate option (right about now in fact).

S
    S
    Originally Posted by Sweetie

Brownies, as is yummy chocolate? Brownies, as in cute little elfish creatures? Brownies, as in girl scouts? Oh the possibilities!!!! I think I would go for the yummy chocolate option (right about now in fact).

OH he is all about the kind you eat...fudge brownies, frosted brownies, dark chocolate fudge brownies...the sentences he comes up with are great. I could see him making arrays with them too.

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    Irena #175575 11/22/13 09:25 AM
    If I see one more worksheet brought home from EnVision Math that teaches a "trick" to doing math I think I may explode! This week they are learning "compensation" to do multiplication. DH and I had to look it up to figure out how it was supposed to look on DD's scratch paper (since they have to show their work). All these "tricks" are just confusing these poor kids since they learn a new "trick" every few days.

Why can't they just multiply and get on with it?!?

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM