Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 201 of 268 1 2 199 200 201 202 203 267 268
    A
    A
    Doubtfulguest, MK, and lovemydd, do your children have room for a young protégé in their vocabulary club? wink

Yesterday, while visiting a construction site (what little boy doesn't love seeing live construction 10 feet away?), DS said that, "cement mixers make an appalling noise." When I said that a dump truck was huge, he responded, "Yes, in fact, it's enormous." He's starting to sound rather professorial with his breezy use of "in fact" and "actually" peppered everywhere.

HK- looking forward to hearing what's cooking.

I love reading these posts!!

What is to give light must endure burning.
    A
    A
    Oh, MON, that's wonderful news!!!

M
    M
    MON ... we get a lot of "actually" sentences with DS5 ... it's tiring to say the least! lol

aquinas ... your little guy sounds a lot like SD5 once he started talking!

D
    D
    Originally Posted by master of none
    But now DS is actually having conversations! Back and forth conversations. I've seen it with my own eyes, and heard about it. "Boy x explained it to me after class" Really? You and boy x had a conversation!!! (Of course, mom plays cool and doesn't let on how shocked and proud she is).

Oh, lovely, MON. Thanks for sharing!

DeeDee

M
    M
    MON, so happy to hear that your DS had a breakthrough. smile

SO and DD get a death stare from me if they use the word actually. He does it as a reference to the show Coupling and DD has picked up on that it annoys me so she uses it on purpose.

The only time it occurs to me that DD's vocabulary is not age typical is when we read Fancy Nancy together and I realize she already uses all those fancy words. Since we didn't talk to her in English much during the first two years, it's fast progress.

Just today, I was interrupting her singing so she looked at me and opened her mouth wide then said "Umm. There, I crushed your mandible. Now you cannot talk anymore." She went back to singing with a smile.

I don't know whether I should be impressed by her verbal skills or be worried about her cruelty.

B
    B
    My introverted accelerated DS5 just won his school grade 1 public speaking competition. He had to do his speech in front of approx 130 people. He remained relaxed and calm and looked every bit like the older finalists ( except for his size!) smile

H
    H
    Originally Posted by bobbie
    My introverted accelerated DS5 just won his school grade 1 public speaking competition. He had to do his speech in front of approx 130 people. He remained relaxed and calm and looked every bit like the older finalists ( except for his size!) smile

That's great bobbie!

I am an introvert, and I know how nerve wracking it could be doing public speaking.

A
    A
    My proudest brag yet!

DS22mo was teaching a clever little 18mo girl her colours at the library yesterday. He used a bag of crayons in the children's area, drew one out at a time, clearly enunciated the colour twice, and then handed the crayon to the girl. The sweetest thing was that he gently patted her arm as she answered and tried to give her a kiss when she answered correctly. When she got one wrong, he hugged her and said, "That's okay, try again!" I was so proud of his patience and gentleness with the girl, who was both younger and much smaller than him.

The little girl's mother was dumbfounded because her daughter had never picked up colours in her native language (Mandarin). What made it doubly impressive was that she remembered "orange" for quite a while afterward, and she didn't speak any other English! As I said, she was a smart cookie! smile

U
    U
    DS5 definitely made an impression at the first meeting of the school chess club. wink My boy has been waiting a LONG time for this club.

DD5 came home from school yesterday with 10 spelling words she needs to learn for a quiz on Friday. The words are things like egg, rat, dad and other 3 letter words she already knows how to spell. This morning while we were waiting to go to school I asked her if she wanted to practice her words, she said yes and sat down to spell them out with me. I said "rat" and she didn't simply spell it with letters, she acted out the letters with the actions from the alphabet song they had learned in class instead! She then proceeded to make me learn the actions so I could spell them correctly too. I'm not thinking the quiz will be a problem wink

Page 201 of 268 1 2 199 200 201 202 203 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM