Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 600 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by polarbear
    Originally Posted by Irena
    I keep being told it will enable my son not have to write as much. Not sure how true that is but that is what I am told... So we are excited about that!

Irena, it's really *really* been the best AT ever for my ds. Truly. He likes it sooo much better than using a laptop.

polarbear

I am so excited to hear this!

I
    I
    Originally Posted by DeeDee
    Originally Posted by Kerry
    Basically it was saying that when we use an electronic devise for writing, or doing math, or even reading our brains are less actively involved in the process.

I basically agree with this, or did until I had a child for whom handwriting is painful and difficult. Now, we're looking at typing as a very real solution to a serious problem. Having teachers who are open to tech in the classroom is very helpful for us.

Yup!

I
    I
    Originally Posted by DeHe
    My DS 7 used the class iPad and a keyboard in 1st to learn typing and then to help alleviate his output problems with writing. It's been wonderful, for all those parents needing accommodations for their dysgraphic kids, I would say the iPad has been an effective one. He still writes and practices writing but when he has to write something longer he doesn't get held up by it being painful or tiring.

Yay, I am so happy to hear this stuff!

I
    I
    Oh and just as an aside - people (writers) have been getting out of writing via technology for years and years and years ... When I started practicing as a lawyer obviously we wrote our briefs ect on the computer. The old guys were dictating into dictation machines... no one was *writing* LOL. IN fact they weren't even writing their notes or calendar just about all of them dictated everything including notes and calendar entries that their secretary then took care of "writing" (typing obviously). When I worked for a writer on his book he dictated his entire book that was typed by a secretary. All this 'fear' surrounding technology is silly... but my husband (computer engineer) says people have been afraid of technology forever so get used to it.

As a mother of a very bright boy with physical and neurological limitations to his ability to physically write it saddens me and downright frightens me, to hear a teacher say she absolutely refuses to consider ipads for the classroom frown

Last edited by Irena; 08/28/13 03:21 AM.
    I
    I
    Originally Posted by Kerry
    Basically it was saying that when we use an electronic devise for writing, or doing math, or even reading our brains are less actively involved in the process. When we write, for example, our brain has to be actively involved in the process because it has to not only hold the pen it also has to move it in the correct direction over and over again while another part of the brain is remembering what to write. Granted, this takes a very short amount of time, however, it is still there none the less. However, when we are simply typing keys on a computer that section of the brain that controls the hand/arm muscles is not activated and therefore a large part of the connections that the brain makes about information are no longer being made. This same effect was there when students were reading books on an electronic devise rather than holding a book in their hands.

I can't tell you how sad statements like this coming from an educator makes me. As a mother of a child who has problems with writing but who LOVES to write stories and poetry, I can tell you first hand this is bull-crap. He gives up and checks out (and becomes sad and despondent) when he has to physically write with his hands but he is actively engaged and learning like crazy when he can use a computer. If he had teachers/parents with this sort of mindset his creativity and drive would have been lost completely.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by master of none
    I'm willing to bet that the technology you grew up with is the technology you like

Exactly. I recently heard a piece on the telephone on NPR... And how it was a technology that was considered evil by many in the beginning and many refused to use it... Now is it even a thought? Does anyone walk around saying "I just refuse to have a telephone! It's ruining our kids/society/etc" ?

U
    U
    However, when we are simply typing keys on a computer that section of the brain that controls the hand/arm muscles is not activated and therefore a large part of the connections that the brain makes about information are no longer being made.

So are you suggesting we all go back to longhand? I don't get it. I'd be curious to see the studies on this.

U
    U
    Does anyone walk around saying "I just refuse to have a telephone! It's ruining our kids/society/etc" ?

To be contrary, I refuse to have a smartphone. wink

I
    I
    I agree that it is about monetization, but I believe it goes well beyond that, to control. There is much observation and tracking possible when putting technology into student's hands... as compared to good old fashioned book learning.

For example, schools can use technology to monitor students:
    - software can track the number of minutes spent on each page and assignment, as well as the number of times each page/assignment was visited.
    - IP address and keystrokes/clicks can be recorded.
    - Websites visited can be tracked.
    - Government schools have the ability to remotely activate video cam and microphone... schools may turn on the device camera, microphone, etc, then watch/listen in your home.

Parents may wish to inquire as to a school's written policies and privacy statements, or data collection tracking usage of the ipad, computer, or specific educational software. Parents may also wish to disable microphone, and/or use a cam patch to avoid unauthorized video/recording of their child and/or conversations within the presence of the ipad/computer.

Originally Posted by ultramarina
    To be contrary, I refuse to have a smartphone. wink

That's not contrary, because you didn't grow up with one. You're proving MON's point.

Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM