Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    I think sometimes people need to realize that your child is like 5, 6, 7 or even more years ahead of his peers. I think they are most threatened by the idea of a child 1 year advanced....being accelerated one year. There are too many kids that are one year advanced, and these rarely need acceleration! But many of these families assume you are taking your "extreme" actions for a similar situation, and this would be extreme. Once they "get" that your child is really unusual, I've found they typically turn more accepting.

I think that's a good point, Dottie. On those rare occasions when people see that DS6 is reading at the jr. high level and doing geometry, I can see their faces relax. It makes sense to them then that the standard school path without adaptation is not going to work well for him.

(And BTW, Cathy A. asked about a response for her grade-skipping child, so I think you're on task. It all amounts to much the same response anyway, since what people really want to know is "Why is your kid doing things differently from the norm?")

'Neato: I like the idea of "that's what works," but maybe more subtly stated? smile

Kriston
    Originally Posted by aline
    I like Cathy A's line. Kriston, it doesn't sound uppity (and I'd know being good at uppity) but it sounds aggressive and might bring out the Negative Nellie's ire.

Explain (said Spock.) I was trying to be unaggressive. Maybe I'm aggressive without meaning to be?

I think Aline was referring to what 'Neato said: "That's just what my child requires." She just misattributed it to me, and I think that muddied the water there.

I think she liked what you wrote: "I'm just trying to do the best I can for my kids."

Right, Aline?

Kriston
    Yes, I'm finding Cathy A. to be very much to my taste, Dottie!

We'll get along famously, fellow Spockian! grin

Kriston
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    Cathy you gave me quite the laugh....how I would LOVE to demand IRL...

Originally Posted by Cathy
    Explain (said Spock.)
    Thanks for the smile!

Live long and prosper, Dottie.

ETA: You, too, Kriston!

Last edited by Cathy A; 05/22/08 09:51 AM.
    Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    Hey, everyone, thanks! I take it the less is more is the overall suggestion for comments whether HS or not. Today, however, someone told me there's nothing wrong with saying, well, we have an extraordinary child...

Well, gee, wouldn't Spock say something like "That's just what my child requires" smile

Thanks for the feedback, I didn't realize that would sound aggressive, I think that is my problem sometimes!!!!!

Incog, I think a lot depends on tone of voice. It's pretty hard to convey that in a post.

Originally Posted by incogneato
    Well, gee, wouldn't Spock say something like "That's just what my child requires" smile

Thanks for the feedback, I didn't realize that would sound aggressive, I think that is my problem sometimes!!!!!

I have the same problem, 'Neato. I really have to rein in my Spock-ian tendencies so that I don't seem (as much) like an insensitive lout. What's straightforward to you and me doesn't always sounds that way to people with, ya' know, emotions. grin

Seriously, I am SOOOOOO not an expert in this stuff for that reason! I'm like the world's worst with oral communication. But I'm good at analyzing what went wrong afterwards. LOL! (or cry...)

Kriston
    ROFL Kriston

Ann- thanks being so charitable, it's sure to sound snotty coming out of my mouth, though!

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM