Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 210 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 200 of 268 1 2 198 199 200 201 202 267 268
    That is awesome, Ametrine!

My DD is going to get an authorship on a peer-reviewed publication. What's more, it's not just a gimme-- she is writing the materials and methodology section of the paper for the lab.

They are also very excited because the paper apparently stands a VERY good chance of being awarded a prize at the meeting where it will be unveiled first this fall.

I'm pretty hard to amaze after 14 y of parenting a PG kid-- but I'm pretty amazed at how seamlessly my DD has integrated herself into this lab environment over just 8 weeks (she began on her 14th birthday).

cool

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    C
    C
    My DD10 goes to a very very small private school. She just skipped to 6th grade. There are only a few kids in her class. She has a wonderful teacher who was excited to have her in the class and really sees it as a challenge to come up with ways to best teach my daughter. Now, after two weeks of school, they have had a number of quizzes which she made hundreds on all of them except one and today they had their first two tests (Science and Penmanship). Her teacher was the one checking the kids out in the pick up line. When I pulled up she was so excited because my daughter made As and the two tests and a 100 on her Science tests. She was just so bubbly and she looked at me with my unintentional this-is-not-surprising look and said very dryly "..but you probably expected that didn't you?" I could only shrug my shoulders.

On another note, my dd10 who hated writing for almost all of the reasons in the article someone pointed me to on here, told me that she is liking language a lot more this year because this teacher makes it fun.

K
    KJP Offline
    K
    DS5 will be with the same teacher this coming year (we start after Labor Day). I stopped by the school this week to drop off his supplies, etc. and spoke to his teacher. She said she has really missed him during the break and couldn't wait to see him again. I knew she liked him but considering he went to summer school and it has only been three weeks since she last saw him, I was surprised.

K
    KJP Offline
    K
    Oh and the above is a brag for us because his preK teacher said he was the worst kid she had ever had in her thirty plus years of teaching.

I'm SO excited-- my DD is working on something that is going to (probably) be released in another six to eight months that will be very exciting for a lot of the younger kids among parents here.

I just wish that I could share WHAT it is, precisely. But I'll wait until it makes it's big-deal public debut instead. laugh

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    D
    D
    can't wait to hear about that one, HK...

in our news, today DD5 did the old inflate-the-balloon with CO2 experiment, and had this to say about it. maybe this shouldn't really be a brag - it might be best in the quirky thread, but anyhow...

DD5: neat! but the REAL question, now that it's conveniently inside this balloon, is... is it lighter than air like helium? i know there's C02 up in the atmosphere, so my hypothesis is that it will float.
    me: why don't you try it? (i tie off the balloon and hand it to her - she lets it go.)
    DD5: huh. carbon dioxide must actually be heavier - or at least as heavy as air. i wonder how it gets up there?
    me: you have a think on that.
    DD5: (smacks head) OH! it's a GAS. diffuse particles. so it mixes with other stuff. plus - there's wind and i guess maybe heat?
    me: please don't smack your head every time you work something out - you're going to have a dent.

Last edited by doubtfulguest; 08/26/13 12:18 PM.

Every Sunday it brooded and lay on the floor. Inconveniently close to the drawing-room door.
    M
    M
    And after spending most of the Kindergarten Curriculum Night playing Angry Birds on my cell phone, at the end, DS5 got up and told his teacher "That was DELECTABLE!" ... and she asked "Did you just say DELECTABLE?" ... and he said "YES!" and walked out the door. ... all I could say to that was "He's Mr. Big Words" ... and then we left. smile

The look on her face told me that at THAT MOMENT she realized what she's up against this year! lol

L
    L
    Doubtfulguest, I wonder if we are raising twins separated at birth. I came here to post this brag and read yours and now I feel like a copycat but I am still going to share this.
    Dd, almost 4, has been wanting to fly for some time now and has been trying many tricks like jumping higher and higher on the couch, attaching Halloween costume wings, tying a towel cape around her neck ( in essence, all scarily dangerous feats) in the hopes that she can take off. Today, she said that she wished to be fairy so she can fly all around the world. I told her she can be a human and still fly. She was in deep thought for a few minutes and said," mom, I have an idea. We need a box with two wings tied to it. Then, we need a belt attached to the box. You can tie the belt around me. The box will be on my back. I will flap the wings with my arms and I will be able to fly." I asked her why she needed the box. "For support." I asked "support for what? "Mom, I need a box that is stronger than gravity. Gravity is trying to pull me down. I need support to pull me up." Impressed I said," good thinking" to which she replied," I have good intelligence!" Lol:)

D
    D
    hee, Lovemydd - well, i actually had the same thought when you posted your daughter's story about the egg on the quirky thread. we had a good one about an egg (and a surgery, natch) recently, too!

Mk13 - not to be too doom & gloom, but keep an eye on that teacher. she SHOULD realize what she's up against and i really hope she does, but we had a pair of them last year in Pre-K who "noticed" all the vocab (DD's journal is full of words like protuberance, dilemma & metastasize)... and yet they vacillated between implying that these things were completely run-of-the-mill and/or that i must be drilling her at home. good, good times...

Last edited by doubtfulguest; 08/28/13 06:28 AM. Reason: it's early, apparently

Every Sunday it brooded and lay on the floor. Inconveniently close to the drawing-room door.
    I
    I
    For kids who want to fly, parents may wish to look into a zip-lining experience. There are small scale versions offered at some gymnastic schools, local zoos, etc. This may help emphasize the safety aspects and preparation, encouraging a child NOT to try flying in their own.

Sometimes kids take great comfort in knowing that others also shared their dreams and desires (such as a wish to fly), and also appreciate seeing which aspects have been made possible over time as well as grasping the limitations which still exist.

This may be a perfect moment for parents to gather resources for an in-depth study of flight, as far as the child is interested.

Showing clips of the early Wright Brothers attempts and others... modern parasailing and hang gliding... hot air balloon rides... as well as literary references such as the mythical Greek story of Icarus... and books about birds, butterflies, and insects that fly (DK books are great) may help kids realize that human flight is not possible because we are made differently... but those differences help us do other fun things.

Page 200 of 268 1 2 198 199 200 201 202 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM