Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 284 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
    OP Offline
    Spiral Reviews for Mathematics

Wow.

SO many things wrong with that.

(Renzulli-- which is too-often shorthand for "bright not gifted" and enrichment using FLUFF, IMO; the notion that repetition is "necessary" for authentic learning; that learning is like the process of BURNING a track on a CD or something; multiple choice assessment as 50%-- or more-- of the 'assessment' associated... etc. etc.)

By the way, Connections Academy's new "Common Core" compliant mathematics program is using "spiral reviews" (as in the link) as a MANDATORY cornerstone of K-8 mathematics.

Revolting. sick

Please understand that I'm not objecting to this practice for typical students in mathematics-- but for those children who are clearly not working at their ability level within a classroom, either in level or rate. With a HG+ student, frankly, this entire thing sounds like the extraction of a pound of flesh.

Who else has examples of educational practices which may sound good in theory (or maybe not even then, LOL) but in pragmatic terms, seem to be operating in violation of everything that is known about educating HG students?

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    U
    U
    I'm only on the first page, but so far this does not inspire confidence:

"Practice doesn’t make perfect it makes permanent"

Go back to school, teach.

U
    U
    "Student’s pick-up their Spiral Review for the day when they
    enter the classroom"

U
    U
    Of course, later ON, it appears as:

"Practice does not make perfect, it makes permenant"

I guess I should stop...

Z
    Z
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    Who else has examples of educational practices which may sound good in theory (or maybe not even then, LOL) but in pragmatic terms, seem to be operating in violation of everything that is known about educating HG students?

Grades, both kinds

D
    D
    the whole child.

it sounds so sensible, to think about the whole child! but it's funny how it gets used to avoid addressing specific concerns. "oh, but we must think of the Whole Child - what's the rush? she's such a little kid..."

Every Sunday it brooded and lay on the floor. Inconveniently close to the drawing-room door.
    Val Offline
    Whole language reading.

Mathematics with no wrong answers.

Originally Posted by doubtfulguest
    the whole child.

it sounds so sensible, to think about the whole child! but it's funny how it gets used to avoid addressing specific concerns. "oh, but we must think of the Whole Child - what's the rush? she's such a little kid..."

This! In pre-k (4) he went in with math and reading at a 1st+ grade level, and in K (5) he was at a 2nd-3rd grade level in math (depending on topic) and reading at about 4th grade level (though he would much rather read picture books or encyclopedias not chapter books). I got sucked into the: the academics don't matter because he has them down pat, what really matters is balancing him out, the whole child must be developed and his behavior is horrible so we must focus on that for now, there is time later to teach him more math/science/reading.

In first grade I felt that I had made a mistake but we were at a new school and with a new teacher and she felt that we had to focus on behavior too, and I don't see that he made any progress last year at all, so how is that truly focusing on the whole child?

Originally Posted by Val
    Mathematics with no wrong answers.

May I ask how that would work? Math is the one place I would think that pretty much everyone would realize there is only one (or more if appropriate) right answer and any other answer is wrong. To think I thought it was bad when they stopped keeping score in kids sports!

A
    A
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    Of course, later ON, it appears as:

"Practice does not make perfect, it makes permenant"

I guess I should stop...

DH or I mis-spelled permanent in an email once, and our "permenant record" has since been filled with all sorts of examples of buffoonery in honour of the original misspelling. Every time we goof, the incident goes in the "permenant file" mentally while the permanent record remains spotless. Maybe those teachers are onto us! Maybe they use this trick, too, with their policies. If so, be verrrrry afraid.

On topic...
    - Group work
    - Peer mentoring/teaching

What is to give light must endure burning.
    Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM