Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 216 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    #165055 08/22/13 08:05 AM
    M
    moomin Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    gone

Last edited by moomin; 08/09/14 09:42 AM. Reason: gone
    moomin #165060 08/22/13 08:23 AM
    A week should cure her enthusiasm.

moomin #165061 08/22/13 08:38 AM
    L
    L
    DD11, 6th grade, had been warned about the cruelty of middle schoolers, but apparently she was expecting the teachers to teach once they got past the 2-day orientation to the school. "I know *I* probably won't learn anything new, but I thought the other kids would!"
    Science, Day 1: look for pictures in the book you think are interesting
    Day 2: discuss the pictures and diagrams in Chapter 1, Part 1
    Day 3: discuss the definitions of the highlighted vocabulary words in Chapter 1, Part 1, and make an artistic poster for the wall defining "Observing" (Mom, I don't think there was anyone in that room who didn't know what 'observing' meant in kindergarten).

Enthusiasm effectively cured. Can't wait for Day 4.

moomin #165081 08/22/13 09:54 AM
    N
    N
    DD7 is still enthusiastic going into Day 2, with only a bit of a damper due to the (fact?) that her 2nd grade class is the only one that can't bring snacks. I use the term loosely because I'm not sure if she understood properly or if that is in fact the case. She's really bummed about it anyway.

DS10 is dampened completely already due to the "homework" he had to do this morning -- he and I had to sign all the syllabi for his classes, and he had to come up with a comment and a question to write on the math one. Woe is him. He could have done it last night, but I didn't manage to get around to checking his backpack until after he was in bed, and he didn't look closely enough at it or didn't remember to tell me other than "you have to sign stuff". Just wait till the regular homework kicks in! laugh

moomin #165087 08/22/13 10:18 AM
    K
    K
    This reminds me of Ramona Quimby's first day of kindergarten, and how she kept wondering when they were going to learn stuff like reading.

moomin #165105 08/22/13 11:06 AM
    C
    C
    DD6 started talking all the time about going to kindergarten when she was just turning 3 so you can imagine how excited she was last year when the moment finally came. At this point she was already reading 4-6th grade level books, knew basic addition, subtraction, simple multiplying and fractions etc

I remember her sitting at breakfast exclaiming excitedly "finally I am going to kindergarten where I can learn to READ and WRITE and do MATH....(pause)....of course I already know how to read...(pause)...and write...(pause).... and do math...well...(long pause)...I am sure it will be fun anyway."

And of course it wasn't. The first question on the "getting to know you" questionaire the 1st teacher sent home yesterday is "Does your child like school?" I am still contemplating the answer. Leaning towards answering, "She really wants to like school." and leaving off the "but it was a really big let down last year" as I would like to sound positive about the upcoming year.

coveln #165111 08/22/13 11:46 AM
    Originally Posted by coveln
    The first question on the "getting to know you" questionaire the 1st teacher sent home yesterday is "Does your child like school?" I am still contemplating the answer. Leaning towards answering, "She really wants to like school." and leaving off the "but it was a really big let down last year" as I would like to sound positive about the upcoming year.

How about "She really likes to learn new things."? It sounds positive, is truthful and may open a discussion later about what she doesn't yet know.

ljoy #165118 08/22/13 12:38 PM
    Val Offline
    Originally Posted by ljoy
    Day 3: discuss the definitions of the highlighted vocabulary words in Chapter 1...

DS's 8th grade math teacher spent the whole first week of school on administrivia: reading the rules, discussing the rules, penalties for breaking the rules, filling out forms that said you understood the rules, and taking forms home so that parents could read rules and sign off on same. Then they talked about "math myths" like "there's no such thing as a mathy mind." Believe it or not, things actually went downhill from there. The math instruction that year was risible.

moomin #165120 08/22/13 12:58 PM
    I like Ametrine's response. It becomes something you can circle back to when the problem of fit becomes apparent. "The problem is, she loves to learn new things, and..."

Val #165126 08/22/13 01:49 PM
    Originally Posted by Val
    Originally Posted by ljoy
    Day 3: discuss the definitions of the highlighted vocabulary words in Chapter 1...

DS's 8th grade math teacher spent the whole first week of school on administrivia: reading the rules, discussing the rules, penalties for breaking the rules, filling out forms that said you understood the rules, and taking forms home so that parents could read rules and sign off on same. Then they talked about "math myths" like "there's no such thing as a mathy mind." Believe it or not, things actually went downhill from there. The math instruction that year was risible.

That sounds about like the first week with Connections in most high school courses.

Here, this is our class. It is about {subject}.
    This is an introduction to the various types of assignments in our class.
    This is how various types of assignments will be graded.
    This is a list of the materials that you should have available for you.
    You should organize your schedule so that you get these large projects completed-- here is an organizer to help you with that.
    Finally-- a QUIZ! About our CLASS! (Sometimes this is related to class structure, sometimes it covers formatting assignments, etc.)

Yup. First four days-- even in AP.
    sick

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM