Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 199 of 268 1 2 197 198 199 200 201 267 268
    L
    L
    A brag about me and not dd. I finished setting up our montessori-inspired homeschool this week and if I may say so myself, it is wonderful! DD3.9 loves it and spends most her day there. I am planning to start a separate thread on setting up a homeschool and posting some pictures and notes on how i went about it. I am still waiting for a couple of the materials to arrive by post but it is such an inviting place, even my dh loves to spend time in the homeschool.

And now a quick brag about dd. I asked her how we were going to split 7 apple between the 3 of us and she said, "mom, you can't. There will be one left. But then, you can cut it into 3 pieces so everyone gets 2 and 1/3rd."

A
    A
    Oh, congrats lovemydd! I know you've been working on setting up a prepared environment quite conscientiously. It must be satisfying to see your hard work paying off. Will be eager to read about your approach. smile

What is to give light must endure burning.
    My DD14 has gotten 'specialty' invites for ultra-early application (the red-carpet apps) from a handful of elite schools during the past two weeks...

RPI among them, which is deeply ironic since they chased me, too. wink

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    M
    M
    Originally Posted by Lovemydd
    DD3.9 loves it and spends most her day there. I am planning to start a separate thread on setting up a homeschool and posting some pictures and notes on how i went about it.

Yes please! I need some inspirations and encouragement. DD was happy with her playroom/homeschool room for about 2 months then she got over it. Now, she's asking me to clear the room, install a ballet barre and sprung flooring so it can be her home ballet studio.

Grrrrrrrrrrr.

M
    M
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    My DD14 has gotten 'specialty' invites for ultra-early application (the red-carpet apps) from a handful of elite schools during the past two weeks...

Yay for your DD! I hope she's excited about some of the schools that are courting her. smile

A
    A
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma

RPI among them, which is deeply ironic since they chased me, too. wink

That's wonderful, HK!!

What is to give light must endure burning.
    She definitely is tickled pink!

I feel a little bit like Cinderella's Godmother-- I knew it would happen-- but she (seriously) had NO idea. It's amazingly sweet to me that she's that self-effacing and lacking in arrogance, even while it can be exasperating that she shrugs off the amazing things that she does.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    L
    L
    Congrats to your DD, HK. If she does decide to go to RPI, welcome to our neighborhood! I would love to help you guys settle in the new place.

L
    L
    Thanks, aquinas and Mana. I will start the thread soon. Mana, it has only been 3 days since the homeschool is open, so only time will tell how successful it will be in holding dd's attention. BTW, I love the idea of a home ballet studio. smile

This summer I've been having DS do a workbook that helps him with reading comprehension.

Typically, there's a story (in this case non-fiction) and a set of questions (a,b,c,d choice) and one "essay" question.

Today the subject was Presidents' Day. The essay question was: "Do you think it's fair that Washington and Lincoln are the only presidents who have a holiday? Explain.

DS wrote: NO! 2P/43P is 0.8% of the presidents have holidays...that is NOT fair.

Originally, he wrote that there were 130 presidents (but oddly, his original percentage was correct for the correct-ish answer of 43/44!) We went online and I showed him that actually there have been 43 individuals who have held that office, even though there have been 44 terms.

I was proud that he used his math knowledge to support his answer. smile

Page 199 of 268 1 2 197 198 199 200 201 267 268

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM