Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
    A
    A
    August, I'm coming in very late here, just happened to notice this... Yes, it's very rare. I could look it up in the norming tables, but it's very very rare. I would want to know, though, what the kid was actually doing during that subtest, particularly if Symbol Search was in line with the rest of the tests. Sometimes kids are being extremely perfectionistic and sometimes they're being downright not particularly compliant with the task... I would have expected a tester to address that in a report.

Originally Posted by August
    My son received three 19s on the WISC IV and has a GAI of 99.9%. But he also received a 3 in coding.

My ds is in that >99.9% range, too, and he scored a 5 in coding. Would LOVE to get more info on this, too. Does anyone know where the old 'coding' thread is that chris1234 mentioned?

A
    A

Originally Posted by aculady

I cannot thank you enough for posting this link. It has taken me several hours of reading this in spurts to get through it, but I was giddy after the first page. The first two pages of this describe my own son perfectly. It's stunning. It was started two years ago. I'm wondering what has happened with these children since then. I may have to revive it and ask. Again, I'm very thankful for this lank. smile

B
    B
    This is really of interest to me! I wish I could find a way to improve my son's working memory and processing speed. He has difficulty with handwriting and speech. We have had evaluations for Visual Therapy - which was a recommendation by the test proctor because some of the issues with Coding, Sequencing, and Digit Span are some how related. Our scores are as follows:

VC 146+ 99.9
    PR 147+ 99.9
    WM 107 68
    PS 106 66
    FSIQ 138+ 99
    General Ability Index 157+ >99.9
    Similarities 20+ >99.9
    Vocabulary 15 95
    Comprehension 18+ >99.9
    Block Design 14 91
    Picture Concepts 15 95
    Maxtrix Reasoning 24+ >99.9
    Digit Span 12
    Letter-Number Sequencing 10
    Coding 10
    Symbol Search 12

Our test stated that Digit Span is given for diagnositc purposes only. But not used in calculation of Composit or the IQ Score. The + was that discontinuation criteria was not reached.

I feel like we need to address working memory and processing speed. My concern based upon learn term testing that this will have residual affects in standardized test when he is older. I am not an expert in these areas and I read all that I can find. I would be interested in seeing if anyone with older children have had simular experiences.

P
    P
    I'm in a bit of a rush so can't answer in detail now, but fwiw our ds12 (dysgraphic, + a few other things including an expressive language disorder) has similar scores and discrepancies (his processing speed is a little lower, wm a little higher). How old is your ds?

Our ds has had remediation and accommodations for handwriting and expressive language - I can come back later this weekend and post more info if it would be helpful re the challenges he's had and the type of accommodations he uses now in 7th grade - not sure what age "older" you're looking for input from?

polarbear

B
    B
    yes, thank you Polar Bear!!! Our DS is 7, in second grade. And, the last two years have been so challenging. Please feel free to inbox me too!

R
    R
    I understand that digit span is ofter lower in children with high verbal IQ

I
    I
    Just wanted to add some new (to me anyway!) information regarding low digit span to this thread for those researching. My son had/has an exceeding low digit span score. When I looked more closely at his scores, it was clear that the forward digit span was fine the first time he tested and quite high the second time he tested (first time on WISC, second time a year later with SB-V). However, his overall digit span score was still quite low. Why? Because he was almost incapable of doing the digit span backwards. I searched high and low for reasons for this and all I ever heard was it is a sign of ADHD. I really do not feel in my gut like my son has ADHD. I believe there is a problem, but I just simply do not see adhd in him. (And I fear that the jump to ADHD is so easy and will prevent the 'true' problem from being addressed.) Recently, my son was formally diagnosed with Ehlers Danlos and the geneticist said Developmental Coordination Disorder (a/k/a dyspraxia) is very often co-morbid. Well, I started researching DCD/dyspraxia. I am just reading a book called "Understanding Developmental Dyspraxia - A textbook for Students and Professionals" by Madeline Portwood. According to the book, digits forward and digit backwards may involve different cognitive processes, especially in certain clinical groups and that studies show that the performance of dyspraxic youngsters highlights significant weakness in repeating the digits backwards. So, I just wanted to add that info here. Low digit span can indicate ADHD but, particularly in cases where the child struggles with the backwards digits, it is part of the profile of a dysraxic child as well.

Last edited by Irena; 08/14/13 02:15 PM.
    B
    B
    Originally Posted by Irena
    Just wanted to add some new (to me anyway!) information regarding low digit span to this thread for those researching. My son had/has an exceeding low digit span score. When I looked more closely at his scores, it was clear that the forward digit span was fine the first time he tested and quite high the second time he tested (first time on WISC, second time a year later with SB-V). However, his overall digit span score was still quite low. Why? Because he was almost incapable of doing the digit span backwards. I searched high and low for reasons for this and all I ever heard was it is a sign of ADHD. I really do not feel in my gut like my son has ADHD. I believe there is a problem, but I just simply do not see adhd in him. (And I fear that the jump to ADHD is so easy and will prevent the 'true' problem from being addressed.) Recently, my son was formally diagnosed with Ehlers Danlos and the geneticist said Developmental Coordination Disorder (a/k/a dyspraxia) is very often co-morbid. Well, I started researching DCD/dyspraxia. I am just reading a book called "Understanding Developmental Dyspraxia - A textbook for Students and Professionals" by Madeline Portwood. According to the book, digits forward and digit backwards may involve different cognitive processes, especially in certain clinical groups and that studies show that the performance of dyspraxic youngsters highlights significant weakness in repeating the digits backwards. So, I just wanted to add that info here. Low digit span can indicate ADHD but, particularly in cases where the child struggles with the backwards digits, it is part of the profile of a dysraxic child as well.

What is a normal digit span going backwards? I guess I have no idea. DD is ADHD and SLOW like a slug in school. I am very worried about her working memory and processing speed. However, I remember when she was 3-4 years old she was able to repeat 4 numbers backwards. Now a few years later it is more like 5 (although I haven't tried it in a while). I think DS (who is dyspraxic and possibly ADHD as well) can easily do 4 digits backwards but his digit span score was only average on the WISC which is why I'm wondering what is normal (he is 6 years old). He was extremely whipped up during testing though and I'm not sure how accurate the results are. Are 6 year olds expected to easily repeat 4 numbers backwards?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM