Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 241 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    P
    phey Offline OP
    OP Offline
    P
    Well, homeschooling will officially begin again here in a few weeks and I have yet to choose what we are doing exactly - which is fine because, you know, I do not do high-level planning with this sort of stuff anyway. Flying by the seat of our pants seems to fit best with the "quantum learning" that goes on here anyway. But since DS5 needs to learn some of those "executive function" skills I have heard about on here wink - I suppose we ought to implement some sort of quasi-structured plan. Hoping that you can once again help me out!

So far we have got the complete grade 4 Singapore Math books (the real ones and not the Amazon fakes that say Singapore Math on them). DS has tired of doing ixl online and wanted to move to a workbook, and now his writing is up to it! Though I am making him finish 3rd grade on there before he starts - only long division and fractions to go. We also have a history book that we are going to read from (we like the series If You Lived... and the Kingfisher History of the World). We have been using Handwriting Without Tears, which hasn't brought tears, but sometimes tantrums. But his handwriting has improved, although he is super stubborn and doesn't like to do things like they ask. At least we are working on it!

Then I am looking at a LA program. Just found the Michael Clay Thompson series, and am thinking of getting it. Found a few good reviews on the old threads here, and am leaning towards it. I think grade three would be fine for him, but his handwriting skills are still weak, so I am not sure if this would be a good fit or not. Is there a lot of writing in this series?

Looking at getting back into working on Spanish. Does anyone have a great kids program? When he was really young and super obsessed with language, we got him the Muzzy videos. They were super expensive, but he loved them. I don't want to shell out that much again for the next level. We also tried the Costco brand-Rosetta Stone. It is pretty bland for a five year old, but he liked listening to the CD in the car. I can't stand it though. He also did a highly-recommended apple app called Mindsnacks a few years ago. My problem here is that I don't speak Spanish. My husband does, but I have a harder time helping out. I could switch him to French (which I know well enough to at least speak on a basic level) but it doesn't seem to be as useful. I'd like something colorful and interactive, directed towards kids, yet gets them speaking and not just memorizing words with no real idea how to string them together...any good suggestions?

DS would love a great science program - something with tons of hands-on experiments. An amazing upper grade-school level chemistry book would be awesome if there is one out there? Much of his reading has been in the sciences already, (like he read the entire Horrible Science collection last month) so I don't think I want most grade school level science books. Are there any basic, yet not too basic chemistry or physics books out there? You know the kind I dream about publishing, just so my child will have the perfect book?

Last edited by phey; 08/13/13 10:43 AM.
    K
    K
    I'm new to homeschooling, too (we start in 2 weeks!), and you are much farther ahead than we are. smile

For science someone recommended the R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey books from Pandia Press. I bought the Chemistry book, and it looks like a winner for us. I would definitely take a look at it to make sure it isn't too basic, though.

P
    phey Offline OP
    OP Offline
    P
    I spent too much time yesterday on the internet looking at curriculum options! With so much stuff out there, I only wish I had more money to spend. For other homeschoolers - I thought I would share my finds - in case you haven't heard of them.

KnittingMama- The R.e.a.l. Science books look fairly good. Do let me know how it goes once you start using it. I am not quite ready to buy them, but I am thinking about it.

I have decided to go with the MCT-LA curriculum. Kind of pricey, but I must admit it seems really great. Would still love to hear from anyone out there who has used it.

This might be my favorite thing I have found out there - The Jim Weiss audio CD's. My DS5 loves listening to anything in the car. I am so tempted to get the whole collection. We started with just downloading two - Tall Tales and King Arthur. Very high quality and very entertaining.

Last but not least, I am wondering if anyone has used the Galore Park language program. I just barely stumbled upon these on Horrible Book website, and seeing as how DS loves the Horrible humor, I think he might like this series. The couple page preview that they had for the Latin version looked like it might be up his alley.

Who else out there is homeschooling, and what great programs/texts/etc. are you using?

K
    K
    Originally Posted by phey
    This might be my favorite thing I have found out there - The Jim Weiss audio CD's. My DS5 loves listening to anything in the car. I am so tempted to get the whole collection. We started with just downloading two - Tall Tales and King Arthur. Very high quality and very entertaining.

If you're looking for a history curriculum, and you like Jim Weiss, take a look (listen?) at Story of the World. We are partway through the second volume, but we aren't doing anything formal with it yet (just listening). I plan to start the first volume again, with activities, when we start school. Our local library had them on disc.

P
    phey Offline OP
    OP Offline
    P
    Actually, I was just barely reading the reviews for it on Amazon. I was concerned though that a lot of people (though the minority) said that the author really spoke down to kids, and used nearly a baby-talk writing style. Does that hold any water?

K
    K
    I wouldn't say it's baby-talk, but the books are definitely written for a younger audience. Both of my kids enjoy listening to it. I would see if your library has it before committing to anything, though.

Pandia Press also makes a history series (books, not audio), but I know almost nothing about it.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM