Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 264 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    N
    N
    You don't have online high schools available there? We have an online high school that offers all kinds of classes here, to the area school districts, and they work with the schools for payment and credits. If the student is attending a regular school but taking certain courses through the e-school, the e-school gets its money from the state funding provided to the regular school, and the student gets regular credit for the courses. If it's supplemental to the regular school schedule, you have to pay for it, but the student still gets extra credits, I believe.

I think what made it difficult for my classmates was that a large portion of the test was hearing conversations between native speakers, then having to answer questions about it. They hadn't really internalized enough of the language to actually follow a conversation held a normal speed. My first 4 years of french instruction were nearly all verbal. We didn't write until the fourth year. Here in Texas all they did was write.. They rarely spoke it or heard the teacher speak it (plus her accent was atrocious!)

A good year of one on one tutoring would probably do it for your dd.

~amy
    OP Offline
    Nautigal, we're with Connections. They take the attitude that if they offer the class, we're stuck with their offerings (as awful or poorly supported as they might be in pragmatic terms) and they won't pay a dime for external ANYTHING.

Local schools won't work with Connections to seat kids for just one class because it's completely uncompensated (can't really blame them, actually).

Puts kids in the middle, though, if they object to, say, only having a "teacher" for 32 hours a year in a foreign language class. I think that it probably goes without saying that if my hunch is correct, we'll see more like 10-12 hours this year in particular. The last teacher was very efficient and very caring-- thus the 32 hours. (About one a week, with a few missing weeks at the end of each semester).

Epoh, I think that DD actually has a VERY good ear. She was picking up conversational French after just a long weekend in the country-- Parisian French, no less, and in overheard conversations. She hasn't ever had enough French that it should have been possible. She also was more than capable of eavesdropping on German tourists throughout the UK and France while we were there, which was sometimes deeply amusing. Okay-- total tangent and adult-swim here, but you should have SEEN how red she turned when she realized just WHAT that couple was speculating about in the Irish National museum as they were looking at breastplate decorations and bronze seals, many of which just... happen.... to be shaped like, er-- well, like "adult" toys. AHEM. whistle Yes, she picked all of that conversation up just fine. (Of course she did...)

Her written skills are not very strong, but her listening and reading skills, not too bad.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    N
    N
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    Okay-- total tangent and adult-swim here, but you should have SEEN how red she turned when she realized just WHAT that couple was speculating about in the Irish National museum as they were looking at breastplate decorations and bronze seals, many of which just... happen.... to be shaped like, er-- well, like "adult" toys. AHEM. whistle Yes, she picked all of that conversation up just fine. (Of course she did...)

Well now, there's education and then there's education! That was a very good lesson in the usefulness of foreign languages. laugh

P
    P
    I'm sorry it just seems like such a complicated system. I hope you can work it out but I hope our system stays simple.

A
    A
    Would FLVHS work? Obviously not ideal, because it's online, but they're cheap, and would provide a transcript. Just trying to find alternatives to "stuck with Connections."

S
    S
    FLVS has no German but they have Latin.

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM