Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 147 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore, Ross Kious, Alishaniche
    11,419 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
    A
    A
    Originally Posted by doubtfulguest
    ha - that's funny - we are the same, only flipped, AvoCado. i run my creative agency (it's just me, though) and my husband's a writer.

Ha, reverse snap, Doubtfulguest! Now we can be best friends (taking a leaf out of my DD's book, who made friends with a girl at the museum the other day because they had the same shoes laugh )

OP Offline
    I'm a creative person who learned early on that I didn't do well in the "stuffed shirt" corporate world. I began working, as many do, in fast-food. I once asked my boss why he wanted me to wipe the counters that I had just wiped down five minutes ago. I'm sure you know his response. Later, I worked in a leasing company and hated the corporate politics and the structure.

While I don't consider myself gifted by the definition, I do know I am talented. My talent lies in the arts. I wanted to be an architect, but my dad (an engineer) told me I didn't have the mathematical ability. That killed me.

I jumped the corporate ship and went to beauty school to be a nail tech. (Fancy words for manicurist.) While I liked the creative nature (sculptured nails), I hated the one-on-one aspect with clients. I'm an introvert. Bad combo. I once had a client complain to my boss that while my work was beautiful, I didn't talk enough and that made her feel uncomfortable!

Oh, and the pay generally sucked.

I later found an apprentice position as a Scientific Glassblower. I was very, VERY happy with that. I could work creatively on my own and talk with others in the shop...or not.

So, I'd say gifted/talented are happy in their chosen careers if it suits various aspects of their personalities, AND also pays the bills!

OP Offline
    Originally Posted by AvoCado
    Originally Posted by doubtfulguest
    ha - that's funny - we are the same, only flipped, AvoCado. i run my creative agency (it's just me, though) and my husband's a writer.

Ha, reverse snap, Doubtfulguest! Now we can be best friends (taking a leaf out of my DD's book, who made friends with a girl at the museum the other day because they had the same shoes laugh )

So cute. DS made friends with another boy while discovering the wonders of paper-making at the Discovery museum.

(Is friend-making really that easy?)

U
    U
    I love my current job. It only took me about 37 years to get to this job, but hey.

H
    H
    I love my job (I work in research, so it's very interesting, intriguing, and sometimes even challenging...not often, but sometimes LOL). There are two areas of difficulty for me: First, that I often have to interact with others. Being very introverted, this is a struggle for me. I really have to push myself hard in this area. Second, I find myself losing focus quite often, mostly at the times where I find myself bored and unchallenged (sound familiar?) Not much I can do to overcome this but to force myself to stay focused as much as possible. It took me about 40 years to get to this place of contentment. I thought I was dumb in high school (even though the school offered my parents a two-grade skip at one point, which they mistakenly turned down...turns out I just over-thought everything...always thought the correct answer COULDN'T be correct because that would be too easy!), and didn't really flourish academically until I was an adult college student and realized, hey, I really am intelligent. Ended up becoming the valedictorian of my college class. If only I could stay a student forever!

Last edited by highwinds; 07/31/13 12:14 PM.
    B
    B
    http://news.yahoo.com/overeducation-linked-poor-mental-health-123410941.html
    'Overeducation' Linked With Poor Mental Health

By Rachael Rettner, Senior Writer 1 hour ago
    Health

NEW YORK — People with too little education to meet their needs are known to be at increased risk of certain mental health problems, but now a new study suggests that too much education may also have detrimental effects on mental health.

People in the study who were "overeducated" — who had more years of education than their jobs required — were at an increased risk of depression, the researchers said.

The study analyzed information from more than 16,600 employed people ages 25 to 60 in 21 countries in Europe. Researchers measured participants' levels of depression based on their answers to survey questions, and presented their results here Saturday (Aug. 10) at the American Sociological Association meeting.

The reason overeducated people may have an increased risk of mental distress could be because, by definition, they are not challenged by their jobs, and cannot use all of the skills they acquired during their education, said study researcher Piet Bracke, a professor of sociology at Ghent University in Belgium.

They also have jobs with less status and prestige, and tend to have unbalanced support networks — they rely on others for support more often than those people are able to provide it — which may contribute to their depression risk, Bracke told LiveScience.

Previous research in Europe has found that people with lower education levels have about double the risk of having severe and frequent symptoms of depression, compared to people with more education, but the risk varies depending on country.

The new study also found that having many highly educated people in a given country can have detrimental effects on the mental health of all people with college degrees. In countries where more education did not provide significantly more job security or salary, even those with degrees who had jobs that matched their skill level saw declines in their mental health on average, Bracke said.

Here is the paper abstract.

http://www.researchgate.net/publica...shing_mental_health_returns_to_education
    Article
    Overeducation and depressive symptoms: diminishing mental health returns to education.

Piet Bracke, Elise Pattyn, Olaf von dem Knesebeck
    HeDeRa (Health and Demographic Research), Department of Sociology, Ghent University, Belgium.
    Sociology of Health & Illness (impact factor: 1.88). 08/2013; DOI:10.1111/1467-9566.12039
    Source: PubMed
    ABSTRACT In general, well-educated people enjoy better mental health than those with less education. As a result, some wonder whether there are limits to the mental health benefits of education. Inspired by the literature on the expansion of tertiary education, this article explores marginal mental health returns to education and studies the mental health status of overeducated people. To enhance the validity of the findings we use two indicators of educational attainment - years of education and ISCED97 categories - and two objective indicators of overeducation (the realised matches method and the job analyst method) in a sample of the working population of 25 European countries (unweighted sample N = 19,089). Depression is measured using an eight-item version of the CES-D scale. We find diminishing mental health returns to education. In addition, overeducated people report more depression symptoms. Both findings hold irrespective of the indicators used. The results must be interpreted in the light of the enduring expansion of education, as our findings show that the discussion of the relevance of the human capital perspective, and the diploma disease view on the relationship between education and modern society, is not obsolete.

22B Offline
    Originally Posted by Bostonian

Article
    Overeducation and depressive symptoms: diminishing mental health returns to education.

Change "Overeducated" to "Underemployed" and the result is unsurprising.

Wow-- two thoughts, there...

OVER-education????? Seriously?? Is this a THING now?? eek

Secondly, if a population is "over" educated, and this is leading to mental health problems... er...

why are we still encouraging EVERYONE to go to college? Maybe we should be encouraging some of those people to go to McDonald's or WalMart?

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Originally Posted by 22B

I was thinking "underutilized," but yeah.

OP Offline
    Originally Posted by 22B
    Originally Posted by Bostonian

Article

I agree...especially if the so-called "Overeducated" has the "Underemployed" position that barely helps them to make their student loan obligation!

Exorbitant student loan obligation is depressing. I wonder how many of them were polled on their debt?

Bubble or not?

Easy Credit is Inflating a Massive Student-Loan Bubble

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM
    Posting IQ test results/Intepretrati
    on of them

by Chaya - 04/05/24 07:58 PM
    Seattle Public Schools shuts down gifted program
    by Eagle Mum - 04/05/24 02:18 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/02/24 09:08 AM